View Poll Results: How long did your blackberry storm go before a reboot?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 day

0 0%
  • 2 days

4 16.00%
  • 3 days

2 8.00%
  • 5 days

5 20.00%
  • 1 week

2 8.00%
  • 2 weeks

5 20.00%
  • 3+ weeks

7 28.00%
    Hi Fellow Storm Owners,
    Okay I'm going to run a test and see how long the Storm can go without a reboot. I've heard many folks give their time and I also have my opinion but there is nothing like the scientific method to give hard facts.

So here is what I'm proposing for those that want to measure their longest run time

1) Reset your device.
    2) Run without rebooting your device in any form. Be it a crash, install, uninstall, etc...

The minute a reboot occurs post on this thread your run time. Or just answer the poll.

I'd like as many folks as possible to run the test to see what kind of results we get.

Regards,
    =X=
    Last edited by _X_; 01-05-10 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Fixed
    01-05-10 11:28 AM
    i have gone a week a couple times but i usually install/uninstall an app or game within 2 days
    01-05-10 11:58 AM
    My phone never rebooted unless i was uninstalling an app.
    01-05-10 02:05 PM
    My brother use to have a BlackBerry he told me he only had to reboot once a month tops. However my first blackberry, the storm, I've had no such luck. Heck I'm not complaining when I had a winmo phone I was rebooting multiple times a day.

Anyhow if you guys are up to it I'd like to see how far you guys can go this time around. Personally I can't get past 3 days before I have to reboot or my phone crashes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 02:44 PM
    Just completed hard reset: [B]mem = 40.4 MB[B]
    Purchased BB Storm9530 on October 21 2009
    Storm is Hungarian made
    Network = Verizon
    Running official .419 (shrunk)

Apps are as follows

3rd party apps = backgrounds, CNN web starter, Dailyhoroscope, Ka-Glom, level, NFL web starter, spacetravel, stormslider, teslapad, Whippoh, googlemaps, iheartradio, opera mini 5, poynt, slacker, weathereye touch.

Add on = BBM 5.0.0.57 memopad, and google quick search.

No Themes (personal preference, I just haven't liked any)

I am not a business user, I use my Storm mainly for phone calls, texting, media playing, i.e. movies and mp3 player, and a lot of web browsing which I use OM5 for.

This will be an interesting experiment because i have posted here before that my phone has run great since i got it with .75 and continues to run well thru .328 and .419 upgrades, (actually better now). I have not had any of the glitches and problems I have read on these forums, (except black lines in SMS on.419 w bubbles) and am pretty thankful. Despite all my blessings I still have the memory OCD thing where I am constantly checking my memory and restarting my phone for no other reason but to bring my memory up to post bootup levels. This will give me a chance to leave my battery cover on and see if my phone is really good or if I never let it be bad! I have all the apps I really want so I'm gonna let this go till my phone don't work, which I have a feeling might not happen. So wish me luck and I'll answer any ?? and keep you updated.

P.S. I only have the GF as a BBM contact as she is the only other person I know with a Blackberry (sad) so my PIN is 3099e8b3 if anyone is interested

Laters
    01-05-10 04:34 PM
    ok, doing a pull right now and I'll update my post when I do my first reboot
    01-05-10 05:04 PM
    I was checking CB forums on OM5 when I got network error, I do have spotty coverage in my house (everyones phone does here). The thing is Opera froze on me, and then I got unexpected error message. Now I cant get back on Opera, and fearing I might have to pull battery for it to work! I have never had this before until I opened my mouth about how well my phone operates. In fact everything else is working fine on phone but opera so I'm gonna wait a minute and see if it will self correct. By the way memory is at 40.2 now HUGE LEAK!

Two freaking Hours! Maybe everyone is right this phone is junk! LOL
    Last edited by Mr One 2; 01-05-10 at 06:36 PM.
    01-05-10 06:34 PM
    Had to reboot to get OM5 to work !
    Booted up at 40.3
    Hopefully that was a fluke we'll see I guess?
    01-05-10 07:10 PM
    I never have any random reboots. I think that would be a better question than just saying how often before you have to do a reboot. Obviously with different apps, uninstalling apps, changing OS etc. you will need to do reboots.
    01-05-10 07:38 PM
    Haven't rebooted since 6AM Dec. 31st. I was about to quickpull because my memory is @ 4.5MB (gigantamoid leak), but I think I'll leave it for now and see how far I can go before I can't take it anymore. This should be interesting.

UPDATE: had to reboot at 2:30PM today. Got the old "your application memory is low. Please select an application to delete from the list." As I like my applications, I had to reboot.
    Last edited by Olsen; 01-06-10 at 08:59 PM.
    01-05-10 08:45 PM
    only reboot when i install or uninstall apps or themes .. wont change a thing since this theme is the bomb(sophisticate) and see how it goes .. batt pull now .. mark it
    01-05-10 08:51 PM
    ever since the leak of 5.0.0.230 i've only rebooted once until .419 came out an updated. an that reboot was cause my battery died
    01-05-10 09:50 PM
    Wow it seems Mr One and I see suffering the same bad karma.

I was only able to run 9.5hours before my device froze -- right after I disconnected from a phone call. I waited 20 min hoping the device to return but alas the only solution was a battery pull.

I'm running a shrunk OS5-328 and boot up with around 20MB

Prior to this test I would have sworn I could go at least 3 days before I would have to reboot. I'm going to run this test again and see if I can go longer I'm hoping this was just a fluke.
    =X=

01-05-10 11:20 PM
    Wow it seems Mr One and I see suffering the same bad karma.

I was only able to run 9.5hours before my device froze -- right after I disconnected from a phone call. I waited 20 min hoping the device to return but alas the only solution was a battery pull.

I'm running a shrunk OS5-328 and boot up with around 20MB

Prior to this test I would have sworn I could go at least 3 days before I would have to reboot. I'm going to run this test again and see if I can go longer I'm hoping this was just a fluke.
    =X=

Kinda glad I'm not the only a@#. Lol.
    01-05-10 11:30 PM
    Okay well here is an update

I'm on my third attempt.

The first try my storm only lasted 8hr before my device crashed and I had to reboot.

My second attempt I lasted a day and a half before my storm crashed again.

On my third attempt i've lasted 5 days now. However for the last day i've been floating around 11KB of memory ( I find I have to closing down OPera gives me about 4MB of memory). Right now I have 11KB of free memory. (I'm typing this post from Opera 5).

I don't think my phone will last longer but I'll limp along until it dies.

As do my usage I pretty much am using the productivity tools like task memopad calendar sbd email. The only third party apps i've used are Opera, google maps and Pandora one thing I noticed is after leaving google apps running overnight my memory dropped from 11MB to 4MB

01-13-10 03:02 PM
    I was rebooting at least once a day, but ever since I got rid of a couple apps (like Opera Mini Beta 5), I haven't actually HAD to do a reset, and more importanlty, a physical battery pull. I just did a reboot an hour ago and will see how many days I can go...lol!
    01-13-10 03:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD