I currently have a Storm1 and I'm getting close to my annual upgrade. How is the Storm2 regarding memory leaks? I know my Storm1 is terrible and if the Storm2 is just as bad I may look to move to another phone. I was really hoping that RIM would be able to get the Storm1 to a place where it was a really good smartphone, but with every new OS they still seem to have memory leaks and I have to reset the phone at least once a day. Even with the latest OS leak I still have issues. For about a week it seemed to be doing better, but now it is right back to where it was before the upgrade. Right now I'm debating between the Storm2, Tour2(when released) and the Droid. I would really appreciate some feedback on this.
    Last edited by ooltewahvol; 01-05-10 at 10:40 AM.
    01-05-10 10:37 AM
    I havent had any memory leak, and that is with adding a few apps, deleting them, adding others. I am on verizon and running the official OS
    01-05-10 10:47 AM
    Two things:
    1 - Memory leak is much better than the S1.
    2 - It doesn't matter anyway b/c there is a CRAPLOAD more memory on the S2. I have over 90MB free with 50+ apps and a few themes.
    01-05-10 10:48 AM
    I know the Storm had a ridiculously horrible launch and a well deserved panning by both users and critics alike, but certainly someone who's had the device long enough to be eligible for an upgrade ought to be a little more well informed about that device's successor.

That being said, the Storm2 doesn't suffer from any of the things that people seemed to hate about the S1. There is plenty of memory on-board this time, 256MB vs. 128MB flash memory, and 2GB vs. 1GB onboard memory.

As far as leaks are concerned, I've had my S2 since day one of the product roll-out and I've NEVER had one. I'm running numerous apps; BerryWeather 2.0, Fandango, Slacker Radio, Pandora, I Heart Radio, Nobex Radio Companion, Loopt, UberTwitter, I Love Blackberry, and the Crackberry.com loader just to mention the ones that are on my home screen, and also 4 different themes. I'm also running the leaked 5.0.0.428 OS and it's incredibly fast compared to the "stock" .320 OS.

This device is what the S1 should/could have been. Don't take just my word for it, read some of the other posters in the 9550 forums, I think you'll find that overall the consensus is the same...
    01-05-10 11:24 AM
    This phone is NOT the Storm1 no matter how many people with the Storm1 try to convince themselves. I have too many apps to count and still have lots of memory left. Several themes, lots of pictures, no more daily battery pulls. Memory OCD is a thing of the past now with this one. I didn't even use 320. When I got the phone I wiped it and put 428 on. You have to try it, its worth the upgrade
    Last edited by rts3k; 01-05-10 at 05:26 PM.
    01-05-10 11:58 AM
    I got my Storm 1 first day. Yes, it had some memory problems, but since the last 2 OS releases, the memory management has been great. I got the Storm 2 on the first day as well. Love it. You don't notice a memory leak as much since you have twice the memory.
    To answer the OP's question, you should probably look for another phone. If you have that dramatic of memory leaks then:
    1- operation of the Storm may be too cumbersome for you
    3- the apps you need are poorly written and will leak on any Storm
    Good luck
    01-05-10 03:35 PM
    On one occasion ("1" and only "1" occasion), my memory dropped from a starting point of 103MB to about 48MB in a 48hour time span.

I had been using it heavily, and had just installed a few new apps, but after a battery pull the leak never returned.

I've had to a few battery pulls and/or device resets here and there (usually when installing apps and such), but have never seen my memory drop below 5MB from where it started from, even after DAYS and even WEEKS of being online.
    01-05-10 03:43 PM
    well i got the s2. i had it replaced 2 times im on my 3rd s2. i had issues with the screen sticking. i upgraded to 5.0 .428. i have no issues so far. i would say s2 or the tour. i know the tour is out. i almost went with that the other day. every phone has a little issue. but do not go with the droid...i did not like it and it just looks so cheap. but good luck on whatever you choose. :-)
    01-05-10 03:57 PM
    The only memory leak I have had was caused by Weather Bug (I know this because I painstakingly monitored my memory under tons of different scenarios). I have plenty of other apps and after removing it I have had no memory leak. So I guess what I'm saying is that it is possible to have a memory leak but I think it is very rare and could be due to an individual app. And as others have said, there is plenty of memory and even with the leak I only dropped from 110Mb to 80Mb.
    01-05-10 05:58 PM
    10 themes. Twenty apps. 119.2 that is all got to say.
    01-05-10 06:12 PM
    The JVM garbage collection process is effective at recapturing previously allocated, currently unallocated memory.

Leaks are 99% a function of apps and/or themes. 1% a function of the OS. IMO, of course. I still obsess over MeterBerry over habit but realistically dropping 1.2MB over 2 days with 127MB still free, running every app I want is more about me being OCD than the device and OS having leakage issues. I'm running .428 on VZW, until .435/.436 leaks this week.
    01-05-10 06:17 PM
    [QUOTE=jlsparks;4439848]The JVM garbage collection process is effective at recapturing previously allocated, currently unallocated memory.

Leaks are 99% a function of apps and/or themes. 1% a function of the OS. IMO, of course. I still obsess over MeterBerry over habit but realistically dropping 1.2MB over 2 days with 127MB still free, running every app I want is more about me being OCD than the device and OS having leakage issues. I'm running .428 on VZW, until .435/.436 leaks this week.[/QUOT

Good thread well spoken
    01-05-10 06:20 PM
    I appreciate the input and it sounds like the Storm2 is definitely an improvement. I'm sure most of my memory issues are coming from apps but the sad thing is I only have six extra apps and three themes on it. I love everything else about the phone. I can even live with the web browsing as it is. Opera makes a solid enough browser for what I need. I just hate having to always worry about the memory issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 07:02 PM
    I appreciate the input and it sounds like the Storm2 is definitely an improvement. I'm sure most of my memory issues are coming from apps but the sad thing is I only have six extra apps and three themes on it. I love everything else about the phone. I can even live with the web browsing as it is. Opera makes a solid enough browser for what I need. I just hate having to always worry about the memory issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If you get the S2, hang tight with the same apps and themes, you'll probably startup well above 130MB free app memory. No need to worry
    01-05-10 07:05 PM
    I've had the phone since launch day...

I have over 80 apps (I wouldn't doubt it if I have upwards of 100) and about 5 themes.

Number of battery pulls I've done since the day it launched? 0
    Number of random reboots I've had since the day it launched? 0

Memory has been at approximately 80 MB and stays there. The only time the phone has ever rebooted was when I upgrade, install, or delete something that would require a reboot.
    01-05-10 07:10 PM
    I came from the S1 and I don't have any stand alone memory leaks. The memory leaks that I had with the S1 was caused by third party apps and OS Ver. 122.
    01-05-10 07:31 PM
    Been running my storm 2 for a few days now. Mine will get a small leak from 106 range down to 102 or so then back up to 104 or so. I am running Epocrates (never shuts down) berryweather, buzz me pro, adorno alarm, and ubertwitter. On .428. My issue is my keyboard freezes very often the letters pop up and stay for seconds at a time. Very annoying. Anyone else experience this lag?
    01-05-10 07:47 PM
    I had a S1 and had the same issues with memory. I just got a S2 I and happy with the memory size BUT... i seem to have similar issues with memory leaking. I have maybe 13 apps on my device and have 115MB left. When I got the phone I installed three new apps the rest transfered from the old device. My memory was at 117.3. day later 116.9 later that day 116.5. I installed a couple memory booster apps and they run ok and tell me memory recovered but the app memory never changes. After a battery pull the memory comes back some what... from 115.5 to 116.4. Anyway I have had the phone about a week now and after installing my last app mem was at 116.5, now after mem boosts or a battery pull the most is 115.2 and dropping. That is my only complaint sofar with this device.
    02-05-11 06:28 PM
    I had a S1 and had the same issues with memory. I just got a S2 I and happy with the memory size BUT... i seem to have similar issues with memory leaking. I have maybe 13 apps on my device and have 115MB left. When I got the phone I installed three new apps the rest transfered from the old device. My memory was at 117.3. day later 116.9 later that day 116.5. I installed a couple memory booster apps and they run ok and tell me memory recovered but the app memory never changes. After a battery pull the memory comes back some what... from 115.5 to 116.4. Anyway I have had the phone about a week now and after installing my last app mem was at 116.5, now after mem boosts or a battery pull the most is 115.2 and dropping. That is my only complaint sofar with this device.
    Memory OCD to the max!

You don't need the memory booster apps and you do NOT have to reset all the time. Just let it do what it needs to do. The S2 will go weeks, or maybe months without needing a reset and it will still have plenty of memory to operate just fine. With only a hand full of exceptions over the past year, the only time I reboot is if I have an app update or something and I have way more apps (and themes) installed than you do. And the only memory related app I have installed is MeterBerry and I have it set to alert me when my memory gets down to 20 MB. It has never gone that low...
    02-05-11 09:53 PM
    OCD maybee. Guess why i do is with the S1 it started with similar issues and I ended up with the same prob as the original post. I had lots of mem and then slowly gone gone gone and could not get back with restarts, security wipes, os reinstall blackberry support, nothing fixed. Ill take the advice and let it be and see what happens. thanks for the info.
    02-05-11 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD