Ok I just traveled to different places and when I got the bill it was a wooping 80+ bucks for roaming!!!

I called the customer service to clarify the charges... I know that if I use the browser or send pics or files I get charge extra... that's no problem. But how can BB messenger count as extra charge?

I asked him about it and the answer he told was 'If you chat between "pins" then there's no charge'. But isn't BB messenger based on user pins?
    01-05-10 07:39 AM
    Blackberry Messenger uses DATA, that is why it works if you don't have a SMS plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 07:40 AM
    it really has extra charges specially using blackberry
    01-05-10 07:43 AM
    man,

I wonder who started the rumors that it was free or flat fee using the bb messenger.
    01-05-10 07:48 AM
    Someone correct me if im worng, but connected to wi-fi, disconnected from the HSPA/UTMS radios, it is free given you have a BIS plan.

01-05-10 08:28 AM
    Someone correct me if im worng, but connected to wi-fi, disconnected from the HSPA/UTMS radios, it is free given you have a BIS plan.

you'd ideally want to turn off the radios completely (ie, EDGE/GPRS too). I have never heard of roaming fee differences based on 3g/2g. Cellular roaming is cellular roaming regardless of speed or connectivity.

AFAIK, the sure way (on T-Mobile) to avoid roaming is to use "Wifi Only" in Mobile Network prefs and rely solely on UMA. They also offer the international email plan for $20/month if you'd like to at least use email while on 3g/edge/gprs.
    01-05-10 09:02 AM
    bbm uses data which if you have unlimited data is covered but not when roaming
    01-05-10 11:52 AM
    There's the key- bbm uses data which is typically unlimitied. When you are roaming, you are not using your data you paid for, you are essentially renting the use of the other carriers lines- that charge is your roaming bill.

Set your connections to wifi only and you should be fine.

Coincidentally, I'm roaming now posting this..tmo UMA connection over wifi in spain! (And it won't cost a cent)

01-05-10 12:17 PM
    Are you located in US. Because in US, roaming is now only a technical term since all carriers plans are NATIONWIDE which means you shouldn't incur any roaming charges no matter where you go in US.
    01-05-10 12:22 PM
    you'd ideally want to turn off the radios completely (ie, EDGE/GPRS too). I have never heard of roaming fee differences based on 3g/2g. Cellular roaming is cellular roaming regardless of speed or connectivity.

AFAIK, the sure way (on T-Mobile) to avoid roaming is to use "Wifi Only" in Mobile Network prefs and rely solely on UMA. They also offer the international email plan for $20/month if you'd like to at least use email while on 3g/edge/gprs.
    Having just spent a few weeks in the US (I'm on a UK tarif) with the data turned off whilst roaming, I was able to use wifi to send/receive email, surf using BB browser and Opera, use BBM and BB App World. iirc weatherbug and Poynt worked over wifi and I've not been charged a penny for data. Only thing I can remember trying that didn't work was Google maps.

Whilst in the US my 9700 was connected to 3g/edge/gprs dependent on coverage.
    01-05-10 12:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD