Hi there!

I got my Bold 9700 just over a month ago. I would describe my BB usage as fairly moderate (mostly BBM and SMS). I find that every day, no matter how much or little I use this phone, I will always be around 50% battery life within 6 hours of usage. Coming from an iPhone this already makes me smile. But reading many threads here and there, I keep coming across people stating that their Bold 9700 can last up to 2.5 days of heavy usage! Can anyone help me shed some light? Do I have a faulty battery?

I am running 5.0.0.423. The only apps I have running (that I know of, besides the non-closeable apps) is BeeJiveIM. Wifi and bluetooth are turned off. I am on 3G-only mode. Facebook and other apps are installed, but I hardly run any of them.

I am on the Rogers network, but my Bold is unlocked from Bell Mobility.
    01-04-10 05:44 PM
    i have a bold 9700 and i installed beejive and it drained my battery way faster so u can keep beejive and have way faster battery drain or uninstall it see if it makes a difference i would recommend trying to uninstall it and see if it helps thats just what i notice when i installed beejive
    01-04-10 05:50 PM
    Oh right, sorry. I should have mentioned, I tried this already. I removed BeeJiveIM and just had Gtalk Windows Live Messenger, a combination of both or just one, and the drain has been exactly the same if not worse than with BeeJiveIM.
    01-04-10 05:53 PM
    Hi there!

I got my Bold 9700 just over a month ago. I would describe my BB usage as fairly moderate (mostly BBM and SMS). I find that every day, no matter how much or little I use this phone, I will always be around 50% battery life within 6 hours of usage. Coming from an iPhone this already makes me smile. But reading many threads here and there, I keep coming across people stating that their Bold 9700 can last up to 2.5 days of heavy usage! Can anyone help me shed some light? Do I have a faulty battery?

I am running 5.0.0.423. The only apps I have running (that I know of, besides the non-closeable apps) is BeeJiveIM. Wifi and bluetooth are turned off. I am on 3G-only mode. Facebook and other apps are installed, but I hardly run any of them.

I am on the Rogers network, but my Bold is unlocked from Bell Mobility.
    I've heard BeeJiveIM draining batteries on BlackBerries and iPhone's as well, so I'd say that would be your first possible suspect in this.

If you press and hold the menu button, The application switcher will pop up, It may be worth looking in there to see what you have running.
    01-04-10 05:53 PM
    I've heard BeeJiveIM draining batteries on BlackBerries and iPhone's as well, so I'd say that would be your first possible suspect in this.

If you press and hold the menu button, The application switcher will pop up, It may be worth looking in there to see what you have running.
    Hmm maybe I'll try and remove BeeJiveIM again, and see if the difference is that noticeable, I'll be sure to pay more attention. But 6 hours of mostly standby time with a drop of 50% battery life? Just because of BeeJiveIM? That doesn't seem likely! But I'll try it out again!

Thanks for the tip! I constantly check my application switcher with that method, the only things running are: Phone, Blackberry Messenger, Home, Browser (reset to the default page), BeeJiveIM, and Messages.
    01-04-10 05:57 PM
    Oh right, sorry. I should have mentioned, I tried this already. I removed BeeJiveIM and just had Gtalk Windows Live Messenger, a combination of both or just one, and the drain has been exactly the same if not worse than with BeeJiveIM.
    I don't think that's going to fix the problem if you run gtalk or MSN instead. Any program that is constantly using data and is always running will drain your battery fairly quickly.
    01-04-10 05:57 PM
    I don't think that's going to fix the problem if you run gtalk or MSN instead. Any program that is constantly using data and is always running will drain your battery fairly quickly.
    You may be right, I'm going to try and use my phone without any instant messengers other than BBM. I hope this is the culprit! 2.5 days of heavy usage sounds amazing, I would give up GTalk and MSN for that anyday!

Currently turned off my BeeJiveIM, and not going to install Gtalk or MSN, will keep you all posted in the next few full charges!
    01-04-10 06:01 PM
    I get 2 to 2.5 days easily and I am only at 50% after 2.5 days. I have BerryWeather update 2 locations every hour (one fixed the other GPS based) and OpenBeak (twitter) running besides the mandatory apps. Also, I do auto turn off at midnight and back on at 5:30am. Double check your apps running in the background, my situation is more the normal than the exception. Something is draining your battery.
    01-04-10 06:04 PM
    I have a question actually, for anyone who has phenomenal battery life (similar to the 2.5 days of heavy usage), what apps do you have constantly running? What kind of connections do you have on constantly? What do you do on your phone mainly?

Also, if you've paid attention, what is the rate of drain on your battery? For example, my battery drained to 50% in about 6 hours after a full charge.
    01-04-10 06:04 PM
    I get 2 to 2.5 days easily and I am only at 50% after 2.5 days. I have BerryWeather update 2 locations every hour (one fixed the other GPS based) and OpenBeak (twitter) running besides the mandatory apps. Also, I do auto turn off at midnight and back on at 5:30am. Double check your apps running in the background, my situation is more the normal than the exception. Something is draining your battery.
    Hmm, is there another way of checking any background apps other than the application switcher? I have WeatherBug installed, and it is set to update every hour, with 2 locations. But it does not show up in the application switcher list. Perhaps there could be others? I have UberTwitter installed, but I do not leave it running in the background.

Anyone have experience with the Facebook app? I have mine connected to the Calendar, Message and Contacts. Not sure if this effects anything since (AFAIK) it doesn't run in the background. But who knows, maybe some pros could lend some wisdom?
    01-04-10 06:08 PM
    Hold <ALT><ESCAPE> and look at what shows up. Use the trackpad to roll across the window to view all running items.

App Switcher shows all availabe apps to switch to.
    01-04-10 06:18 PM
    I have a question actually, for anyone who has phenomenal battery life (similar to the 2.5 days of heavy usage), what apps do you have constantly running? What kind of connections do you have on constantly? What do you do on your phone mainly?

Also, if you've paid attention, what is the rate of drain on your battery? For example, my battery drained to 50% in about 6 hours after a full charge.
    The only thing I have running in the background is BerryWeather, updating every 15 minutes for cell location (WeatherBug won't show up as running the background, I believe, because the weather info is pushed rather than retrieved). My normal usage is moderate texting and email (20-30? each per day), occasional BBM use, Brickbreaker, and web browsing. I usually have at least 50-60% battery life after a 15-18 hour day. Even on heavy useage, I have battery left by the end of the day. If I don't make many phone calls or use it much other than receiving texts and email, I could probably go two solid days.
    01-04-10 06:22 PM
    Hold <ALT><ESCAPE> and look at what shows up. Use the trackpad to roll across the window to view all running items.

This seems almost the same as holding the BB Menu button, is this not the same list? For me it is the exact same thing.
    01-04-10 06:22 PM
    The only thing I have running in the background is BerryWeather, updating every 15 minutes for cell location (WeatherBug won't show up as running the background, I believe, because the weather info is pushed rather than retrieved).
    Hmm, does anyone know if WeatherBug's push is more of a drain on the battery than BerryWeather running in the background?

Sounds like I should switch and test!
    01-04-10 06:24 PM

What are you referring to as the ESCAPE key? The back key?
    01-04-10 06:24 PM

I have the following

I Love BlackBerry
    SmrtGuard
    BlackBerry Messenger
    QuickLaunch (even though it's not really a background app.)

These are just add-ons to the normal required core apps, I'm always on 3G on T-Mobile with WiFi and Bluetooth turned off.

I get more in the range of 2 days on a charge, I can take my device off at 05:00 and use it through the day with BBM and a large load of texting, and not need to have it back until after 17:00 the next day (5PM)
    01-04-10 06:27 PM
    What are you referring to as the ESCAPE key? The back key?
    Right...

to the right of the trackpad
    01-04-10 06:28 PM
    This seems almost the same as holding the BB Menu button, is this not the same list? For me it is the exact same thing.
    No, not the same list. If it is then everything on your BB is running in the background. In other words if only the mandatory apps plus the few others you suggested are all thats on your BB the two lists would be very close. If you have very little on your BB then this would point towards a bad battery. If this is the case then maybe you should see if you can get a replacement battery. (from your provider)
    01-04-10 06:36 PM
    No, not the same list. If it is then everything on your BB is running in the background. In other words if only the mandatory apps plus the few others you suggested are all thats on your BB the two lists would be very close. If you have very little on your BB then this would point towards a bad battery. If this is the case then maybe you should see if you can get a replacement battery. (from your provider)
    Yeah, I get the exact same list

I'm not sure what the policy is on unlocked phones, but would I be right to assume that my phone is not covered by neither Bell or Rogers since it is unlocked?
    01-04-10 06:43 PM
    Yeah, I get the exact same list

I'm not sure what the policy is on unlocked phones, but would I be right to assume that my phone is not covered by neither Bell or Rogers since it is unlocked?
    Play dumb, no need to mention it. Your problem is with the battery.
    01-04-10 06:51 PM
    For mine is the phone is able to last me only about 1 day if I were to connect my Bluetooth headset constantly.

If I were to disable my bluetooth headset, my 9700 will be able to last me about 1.5 days max.

My usage is very high with voice calls .. not so much with data. Average mails is only about 40 per day.
    01-04-10 07:06 PM
    get rid of that beejive....major battery consumption
    01-04-10 07:07 PM
    wow, impressive. How are you using your phone?
    01-04-10 07:30 PM
    For today, I've been 10 hours off the charger and have 70% battery left. My I Love Backberry stats (EarlySail I Love BlackBerry: Are you a BlackBerry Addict ? Prepare to Find Out) show I've used my phone for a total of an 1 hour 36 minutes today. My avaerage usage is close to 4 hours per day and I don't often drop below 50%.

Best so far? Took it off the charger one New Year's Eve morning and didn't charge it again until 10pm last night. Still had 30% battery. That included roaming in and out of 3G areas for 2 days. I love this device!

With my Bold 9000, I would have to charge in the mid-afternoon if I wanted to use it at home.
    01-04-10 07:49 PM
    I doubt it's beejive because I have it and my battery is fine. I get a about 1 - 1.5 days off a single charge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-10 08:23 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD