I'm satisfied with the version of bbm that i'm running now. but everytime i'm click on bbm after a period of inactivity, it's asking me to update. How do I stop the prompts?
    01-04-10 12:16 PM
    I dont think you can stop the prompts
    01-04-10 12:20 PM
    I'm satisfied with the version of bbm that i'm running now. but everytime i'm click on bbm after a period of inactivity, it's asking me to update. How do I stop the prompts?
    You obviously have an older version of BBM installed and it's in the best interest of you and your device that you update to the newer version. RIM would not send out update notices via PIN message if the update wasn't necessary.
    01-04-10 12:23 PM
    You obviously have an older version of BBM installed and it's in the best interest of you and your device that you update to the newer version. RIM would not send out update notices via PIN message if the update wasn't necessary.
    I don't think it's necessary. You can be on a pc and still be running windows 98 if that works for you. My version works for me, so I would rather not rock the boat. But maybe since I'm deciding not to update, I just have to deal with the prompts.

I'm not receiving the update via pin message, it's only when I click on bbm after it's been idle for a while.

thanks though
    01-04-10 12:31 PM
    It's probably a good idea to update. Especially since the last BIS/BES server outage was caused by the last version of BBM. You may not have noticed anything wrong on your end but BBM obviously had something wrong with it why they had the server outage and released the new version of BBM right afterwards.

Food for thought.
    01-04-10 12:38 PM
    I don't think it's necessary. You can be on a pc and still be running windows 98 if that works for you. My version works for me, so I would rather not rock the boat. But maybe since I'm deciding not to update, I just have to deal with the prompts.

I'm not receiving the update via pin message, it's only when I click on bbm after it's been idle for a while.

thanks though
    PIN message or message on BBM, it's that crucial to them that everyone do
    this update since it apparently was a major contributor to the last outage a
    couple of weeks ago. Exactly as pointed out below.

I'd just backup your BBM contacts on the phone, to the memory card in case
    for some reason the contacts are back on there after the update. A simple
    restore and you're all done.

It's probably a good idea to update. Especially since the last BIS/BES server outage was caused by the last version of BBM. You may not have noticed anything wrong on your end but BBM obviously had something wrong with it why they had the server outage and released the new version of BBM right afterwards.

Food for thought.
    Released it the very next day once the outage was over.
    01-04-10 12:41 PM
    the others have pointed out the reasons for you to upgrade. I'd add that it is easy and painless to upgrade. Here's the link to the application download page. It installs over the air.

bbm upgrade ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-10 12:43 PM
    thanks for the advice everyone
    01-04-10 12:43 PM
    Hey Guys, I like using 4.7 as well. Its just simpler to me. Wondah woman, it just occured to me how I had a long period with no prompts: This is the solution.
    When upgrade prompt comes up, hit "copy url" (rather than cancel). This seems to stop it for a long time, usually until i reboot phone. Please let me know if this works for you. Thanks!
    02-04-10 11:27 PM
    Omg update to 5.0.0.57...there is ZERO downside, sheesh.

02-05-10 12:00 AM
    Why would you want the old boring BBM anyway.. UGHH
    02-05-10 02:30 AM
    I don't think it's necessary. You can be on a pc and still be running windows 98 if that works for you.
    This analogy makes no sense at all. Windows 98 is an operating system just like OS 5 on your device, and has nothing to do with an application that runs on the OS such as an antivirus program or BBM. If an antivirus program was set in a continuous data transfer update loop which causes servers to go down around the world along with the functioning of your computer, I'm sure you would update the program if prompted, because you want a properly functioning computer. The same with BBM. There was a continuous data transfer loop in the back round to RIM's servers which broke BIS, making it unusable worldwide. The new version placed a fix to this, and people were able to surf the internet/email/BBM again as more and more users adopted it. The failure to update just makes you one of the few who are still stressing RIM's servers, and RIM is advising you to apply the fix.

My version works for me, so I would rather not rock the boat. But maybe since I'm deciding not to update, I just have to deal with the prompts.
    The problem is that obviously your version is NOT "working" for you, or you would not have created a thread about this "issue". A properly working version of BBM will not constantly provide this update alert. If anything you would not "rock the boat", but put yourself in smooth sailing waters with no further worries. Yes, you will have to deal with the prompts until you realize that if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

To be honsest, and you may not even care as I read the content of your posts, but I don't appreciate the fact that if more users thought this way, we would probably have more continuous WORLDWIDE server crashes. As you stated "My version works for me", but it is a cumulative effect that you are not taking into account.

The upgrade is painless. Like Nike... Just do it.

Please.
    02-05-10 03:42 AM
    Omg update to 5.0.0.57...there is ZERO downside, sheesh.

For all the reasons that everyone else has mentioned, updating is probably the best thing. HOWEVER, it is a well-documented problem that .57 DOES have a downside...the phantom indicator. I have it and so do tons of other people. And it does not go away unless you move back to a different version...but a version greater than what you have now. So yes, I agree, upgrade. If you get the indicator problem, move back to 5.0.0.33 or put up with it, like I do!

The benefits outweigh the negatives
    02-05-10 08:20 PM
    Most of the people in this thread are talking out of their *sses and have no idea about the reality of the situation.

For a large number of people .57 has a major problem. The new message notification never goes away. This is reason itself NOT to upgrade.

.33 does not have this problem, BUT it does have the problem that every once in awhile a screen will pop up telling the person to upgrade. To me, this is a whole lot more tolerable than the constant notification.

RIM really really really screwed the pooch with the last few versions of BBM. A truly astounding bit of programming *uckup. .55, .56, and .57 all suck, and they're not in any hurry to release a .58 or better.

RIM programmers should be ashamed.
    Last edited by Furballz; 02-05-10 at 09:39 PM.
    02-05-10 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD