After a few months, it breaks. I just recently bought a new one from cnn.cnn, I think about 2 months ago, and it's already acting exactly like my first one was before it completely stopped working. Gets stuck all the time and I have to play with it for a while in order for it to work again. And it's always just scrolling down too.

Btw when is this new OS 5.0 coming out?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-10 01:49 AM
    After a few months, it breaks. I just recently bought a new one from cnn.cnn, I think about 2 months ago, and it's already acting exactly like my first one was before it completely stopped working. Gets stuck all the time and I have to play with it for a while in order for it to work again. And it's always just scrolling down too.

Btw when is this new OS 5.0 coming out?

Because dust and all types of little particles get stuck under the trackball. If you carry your phone in your pocket this could be why it stops working so quickly because pockets carry a lot of lint.
    01-04-10 02:08 AM
    I received a - previously Vodaphone - now unlocked 8900 for xmas.
    Did the 'unlocking' ruin my warranty?

Therefore if (touch wood it doesn't) the trackerball goes, it won't be covered + I'll have to get it done myself?

01-04-10 06:43 AM
    I'm actually considering getting a storm 2, just to get rid of the frustration of the trackball and moving parts in general of the 'keyboard' blackberrys. Not sure how the storm 2 compares in reliability/stability though. The new sensor is a great idea though as opposed to the trackball.
    01-04-10 09:13 AM
    Is there a way to fix these things?

01-04-10 09:44 AM
    i never had a problem
    01-04-10 10:06 AM
    I don't know what you do for a living but if you use the trackball with very dirty or greasy hands its going to kill it
    01-04-10 10:13 AM
    My trackball has stopped clicking. The contact underneath the trackball doesn't snap up and down anymore. Is there a way of replacing the contact, or do I have to get a new circuit board?

01-04-10 04:16 PM
    I've got to wonder what you're doing to kill them so fast.

I bought mine on release day, and have never had problems with my trackball other than sticking from lint. A quick roll around on my pant leg always takes care of it.
    01-04-10 09:38 PM
    never had problems until my son greased mines up with his dirt lil hands lol. This is one of factors which made me upgrade to bold and trackpad no more getting stuck here
    01-04-10 10:09 PM
    Today my trackball was giving me that problem. It wouldnt scroll down for some reason. So I had the idea of dipping a q-tip w/ nail polish remover and lightly cleaned the trackball w/ it (rubbing alcohol would also work best too). After that it worked just fine again!
    01-04-10 10:59 PM
    does OS has interfere with trackball??
    01-05-10 01:48 AM
    Does this have the same rubbery sort of trackball as the Tour? I've recommended placing the BB face down on a sheet of paper and sort of rolling it around. Just don't press down, use the weight of the phone. This usually works for my Tour, I would think it would do the same for most other trackballs. Good luck.
    01-05-10 02:11 AM
    when i clean my trackball, i spray some 409 on a piece of paper towel, and lightly wipe it several times, then use the dry side of the same paper towel, and dry it.

BTW I'm always cleaning my screen with windex, it works great on the trackball, too.
    01-05-10 03:10 AM
    when i clean my trackball, i spray some 409 on a piece of paper towel, and lightly wipe it several times, then use the dry side of the same paper towel, and dry it.

BTW I'm always cleaning my screen with windex, it works great on the trackball, too.

i think windex is a no no for screens.

i just had my 8900 replaced because the trackball stopped going up. the actual trackball would roll up but the cursor wouldnt. kinda hard to explain but when i rolled the trackball any other way but up, i felt "resistance" or "slight clicking". when i rolled it up and nothing happen it felt like it was free spinning and had no resistance at all. this trackball lasted 6 months. lets hope this last longer. or else go out before my one year warranty is up
    01-05-10 10:23 PM
    I just recently bought mine, and so far no issues.. I hope to never meet with this one.
    01-06-10 08:21 AM
    I never really have a problem with mine, I keep it in the leather pouch almost all the time when it's in my pocket. Every once in a while I have a slight issue with it not responding the way I want it to, but it goes away.
    01-06-10 10:05 AM
    After several attempts at cleaning the trackball I think I discovered a design flaw in the trackball assembly. There are four magnetic rollers in the assembly and the ball is suspended by a metal 'spring' or 'tab' at the bottom of the assembly. As the spring wears from repeated pressing of the ball, it causes the trackball sink slightly into the assembly resulting in lost contact with the rollers, thereby causing intermittent operation. All rollers have to be in contact in order for the phone to track the movement. The wearing of the spring is so miniscule that it's only noticable when a problem arises. I got around this by applying several layers of adhesive tape between the 'spring' and the contact in the phone. This will help push the trackball back into position. So far it looks like it cured the problem. I will have to look into a more permanent solution.
    01-06-10 03:20 PM
    I actually replaced my trackball about a month back. Just bought a replacement one off Amazon I think. My trackball was sticking so I took the phone apart to clean and while doing so I kinda messed up the original trackball that was in there. So I just bought a new one and put it in there.

I gotta say, I am not completely satisfied with this replacement one. I think I'm going to buy another one from a different seller and try that out.

Bought the 8900 when it first came out, now I really wish I had the optical trackpad
    01-06-10 04:11 PM
    can anyone put together a quick list of possible good materials to wipe the ball/phone with to help clean it regularly?
    01-06-10 04:31 PM
    Windex evaporates, and doesn't leave streaks, but must be sprayed on the cloth, and then wiped, instead of the screen itself! TysonLee is probably refering to the tendency of the screen to become finely scratched over time, that is from the type of cloth used. paper towels, ok for the buttons, but i use optical cloth for the screen, like what comes with glasses. As for the trackball, DO NOT soak it, instead, use a wetted piece of paper towel (409, not water), and wipe across the trackball, GENTLY, as to not get little pieces of lint stuck inside the trackball assy. If the trackball is stuck, (only once for me), i dissassembled my phone, and used a Q-tip to clean the whole trackball assy. disclaimer: this will void any warranty assoc. with any 2yr agreement, i own my phone, and pay month 2 month.
    01-06-10 05:12 PM
    I use rubbing alcohol for my trackball, and a microfiber pad for my screen. Auto detail type pad
    01-06-10 06:16 PM
    8 months with my 8900 and no problems. Although I would prefer a trackpad, seems easier to scroll with.

01-07-10 02:54 PM
    Had my 8900 since March 09 and have not had any trackball issues. I also keep mine in my pocket where there's always lint. I never use my phone if my hands are dirty/greasy. The trackball seems pretty tough to me.

01-07-10 04:16 PM
    I currently have this problem but my phone is usually in my pocket and I don't use that case that came with it. I'm going to try cleaning it. This is probably the only problem I've had with the phone since getting it. It being freezing cold might not help either.
    01-07-10 09:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD