Internet works almost at same speeds as EDGE.. My BOLD switches from 3G to "GSM" Randomly..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-10 03:55 PM
    I'm in NYC so I get 3G coverage pretty much everywhere with T-Mobile and I find the speed to be much quicker than EDGE although once I leave NY, I'm almost always on EDGE or GPRS. So to fully answer your question, Yes I do think T-Mobile's 3G service sucks.

01-03-10 04:04 PM
    Im in Colorado Springs and I always have 3g. I love the phone, tmobile, and my dog!
    01-03-10 04:59 PM
    TMO 3G has no issues in South Florida. Always faster the EDGE service.
    01-03-10 05:03 PM
    Yes T-Mobile Sucks in EVERY WAY Possible
    01-03-10 05:06 PM
    No

10char
    01-03-10 05:08 PM
    I am going to return my 9700 because of tmobile service. The speed 3G speed is not as fast as Verizon and the voice quality is bad. I will wait for the Tour 2.
    01-03-10 05:09 PM
    I am going to return my 9700 because of tmobile service. The speed 3G speed is not as fast as Verizon and the voice quality is bad. I will wait for the Tour 2.
    Why not try a Storm2 If you hate it Verizon has a 30 day return policy not 14 days like crap mobile. You just might love it.
    01-03-10 05:23 PM
    I already have a storm2 its great, the battery life is bummer.
    01-03-10 05:27 PM
    I already have a storm2 its great, the battery life is bummer.
    On that issue I must agree. Its a tiny battery and not really an issue with the phone. Its a shame they could not get a bigger battery in it but the phone itself has so much packed in it I guess they had no room. The big screen of the 9550 is also a big power sucker. After owning both I have to say I think the 9550 is a better phone, I just love that giant screen.
    01-03-10 05:42 PM
    I live on the edge of an area where there is 3G and Edge. Most of the time I will have 3G. When I go west into town, I have constant 3G. No matter what, I have had good success with calls. As far as surfing the internet on my phone, I switch to WiFi at home to UMA.
    01-03-10 06:02 PM
    I'm starting to think my tmo 9700 just doesn't take advantage of 3g as well as my G1 or cliq. 3g on those phones seem to be nearly as quick as my home dsl service, my 9700 seems maybe twice as fast as edge, if that. Its seems like the issue is more from it taking forever when its "requesting" a page. But it also seems like it wants to take a breather after loading or downloading a few hundred kb of data.

01-03-10 06:29 PM
    I'm starting to think my tmo 9700 just doesn't take advantage of 3g as well as my G1 or cliq.
    I agree. I had a Sidekick LX 09 before I got my 9700, & I recall my SK being considerably faster on 3G than the 9700. I wonder why that is.
    01-03-10 06:39 PM
    bettermost you have made your point now let it go.

01-03-10 07:07 PM
    Yes T-Mobile Sucks in EVERY WAY Possible
    dude, let it go already
    01-03-10 07:09 PM
    tmo is currently building out their 3g, albeit they are a bit behind, but are building it out faster than anyone else has... and 21mbit HSDPA+ is just a software upgrade away next year... starting with core towers will be upgraded to 3G, then the smaller "fill-in" sites (eg. on building, etc) will be built out on 3G... as long as it is in an area that can get a high enough speed data circuit to the tower site...

Give it some time.... in Lancaster, we went from 1 tower to 10 towers having 3g in 2 weeks time... the tower monkeys are BUSY...trust me
    01-03-10 07:20 PM
    On another topic... this is how it is...
    -Verizon has the best network, fast 3G everywhere, and is expensive
    -Sprint has an OK network, gives you 1X access to verizon free, fast 3G everywhere, and is cheap
    -ATT has an OK network, poor 3G coverage, and is expensive
    -Tmo has an OK network, poor 3g coverage (but getting better fast) and is cheap

so for each provider basically, you get what you pay for, with the exception being ATT I guess? no flames, just stating opinion
    01-03-10 07:24 PM
    On another topic... this is how it is...
    -Verizon has the best network, fast 3G everywhere, and is expensive
    -Sprint has an OK network, gives you 1X access to verizon free, fast 3G everywhere, and is cheap
    -ATT has an OK network, poor 3G coverage, and is expensive
    -Tmo has an OK network, poor 3g coverage (but getting better fast) and is cheap

so for each provider basically, you get what you pay for, with the exception being ATT I guess? no flames, just stating opinion
    Sprint's network is as good as Verizon's, they just have less total 3G coverage. (they have AMAZING rural voice coverage, however, because of Nextel)

AT&T's network is also good, but they struggle in densely populated urban areas. Their EDGE network (while slow) is solid, and their 3G outside of big cities is solid. Their biggest problem right now is capacity; they had too many subscribers for their network, and expanded 3G too quickly without amping up their network build-up. (sort of the opposite of verizon, which built up their network before going hard-core with data intensive devices)
    01-03-10 09:21 PM
    3G in my area is OK, It's nothing worth bragging about, I get fairly good 3G speed, but I do seem to get a lot of "Requesting" when I'm browsing in certain areas.
    01-03-10 09:37 PM
    Keep in mind that all blackberry traffic flows thru BES or BIS and not directly to the internet, so it's impossible to blame slowness on the network alone... could be the carriers servers...
    01-03-10 09:47 PM
    In this area, sprint actually has EVDO in a lot of areas verizon doesn't rural wise... and nextel and sprint are 2 totally separate technologies...so unless you have a powersource phone you wont be seeing both networks at once...

the nextel network is also so aged that is' almost funny... it can't support high-speed data...only packet data, and the equipment is getting VERY old at this point... sprint has announced they are going to beef it up, but I think that just means promote it more, not upgrade it. Moto doesn't make a new "nextel" system
    01-03-10 09:49 PM
    tmo is currently building out their 3g, albeit they are a bit behind, but are building it out faster than anyone else has... and 21mbit HSDPA+ is just a software upgrade away next year... starting with core towers will be upgraded to 3G, then the smaller "fill-in" sites (eg. on building, etc) will be built out on 3G... as long as it is in an area that can get a high enough speed data circuit to the tower site...

Give it some time.... in Lancaster, we went from 1 tower to 10 towers having 3g in 2 weeks time... the tower monkeys are BUSY...trust me
    I live approximately 30 miles from Lancaster. According to T-Mobile that is the closest place to me that the 3G network has launched and I have a pretty stable 3G connection. It's much faster than EDGE was on my 8320 & 8220. And tethering speeds? I never expected them to be as quick as they are now that I have 3G. I'm able download files in half the time EDGE would.

01-03-10 10:13 PM
    My 3g service is great. But I also live in a TMO heavy market. But my trip to a less dense area I was surprised to find I had perfect 3g service and everything was humming alone just fine. The sad part was my best friend who has att and the first bold did not have 3g at all. So I think that tmo is doing something right

01-03-10 10:15 PM
    In this area, sprint actually has EVDO in a lot of areas verizon doesn't rural wise... and nextel and sprint are 2 totally separate technologies...so unless you have a powersource phone you wont be seeing both networks at once...
    In most of the areas where nextel already had coverage, sprint added their own cell sites since they owned the space (if they weren't already there). So in my area, where Nextel is a powerhouse, Sprint's coverage (EVDO included) is better than even Verizon's.
    01-03-10 10:43 PM
    T-Mobile in Washington state is pretty good, blows AT&T out of the water out here, way superior voice quality and fewer dropped calls.
    Part of their problem is the 1700 aws with no low band 3g frequency as yet for building penetration. Give em time, it will get better but you can't complain at all about the price ;-)

01-03-10 10:50 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD