Ive read about this before, I would appreciate a confirmation from my crackberry family here to let me know if I am correct.

Im on a family plan which includes 4 lines with Verizon. I have had the Tour for 4 months, but desperately want the Droid.

Can I add another line for $9.99 to the overall family pan, and then pay $200 for the droid with a 2 year agreement? Which as an end result would just have me pay an extra $9.99 a month correct?

I would be able to strip down the BIS plan and all the extras I currently have for my tour, and instead have the $30 data service for the Droid. What I mean is I wont have to pay for data service for the blackberry and for the Droid on the new line will I?
    01-02-10 09:36 PM
    Yoou can get the extra line for 9.99 and get the Droid for the upgrade price, you can not remove data from a Blackberry or any PDA sold now. You would have to add regular phone to the line to not pay extra.
    01-02-10 09:46 PM
    Yoou can get the extra line for 9.99 and get the Droid for the upgrade price, you can not remove data from a Blackberry or any PDA sold now. You would have to add regular phone to the line to not pay extra.
    Ok I believe I understand. So if I went into a Verizon store to do all this, could I bring in my old non-smart phone and have my current blackberry line switched to the non-smart phone and lose the BIS service (thus avoiding an ETF fee)?

Also, Ive heard that for $20 extra, the primary line can get an upgrade after 10 months. The primary line holer is my father, he has had his phone for 12 months. If he agrees, can I pay Verizon $20 and use the early upgrade to buy the Droid for the $200 2 year plan, or is the 10 month discount less then a normal 2 year discount?

Thanks in advance, this is all just very confusing to me.
    01-02-10 10:04 PM
    You have to be on the upgraded calling plan for at least 3 months before he would get the annual upgrade. And yes, you can activate an old phone to your line, not pay the BIS plan and avoid the ETF. Hope that helps.
    01-03-10 12:11 AM
    You have to be on the upgraded calling plan for at least 3 months before he would get the annual upgrade. And yes, you can activate an old phone to your line, not pay the BIS plan and avoid the ETF. Hope that helps.
    It does help. Thank you very much for your time, I really appreciate the help. Im now trying to make the decision between doing the above mentioned, or maybe cancelling my line (my ETF is about $150 at this point), then adding a new line and getting the Droid for $200. But then I guess I lose my cell number that I have had for about 8 years with Verizon.

I guess Ill figure out my best option. Thank you again very much for the help!
    01-03-10 12:26 AM
    you can get the droid under a new number and then make an esn switch to your current number. people do it all the time within their family plans if they want the upgrade and the person doesn't. My brother wanted the Droid huge so he took his wife's upgrade to get it. He misses his blackberry.
    01-03-10 12:38 AM
    you can get the droid under a new number and then make an esn switch to your current number. people do it all the time within their family plans if they want the upgrade and the person doesn't. My brother wanted the Droid huge so he took his wife's upgrade to get it. He misses his blackberry.
    I love my Tour, but I dont feel I need a blackberry for what its great at.

The Droid has all that I want, although a better physical keyboard would be nice. I want something more fun, with a great browser, fast, big touchscreen. And luckily my main email is gmail, so that works well with the droid.

I dont think Ill be missing blackberry too much, not until they have an awesome browser and outstanding OS. I will miss it because it was my first smart phone though, and despite everything I want that it doesnt have, Its still a fantastic phone.
    01-03-10 12:42 AM
    Ok I believe I understand. So if I went into a Verizon store to do all this, could I bring in my old non-smart phone and have my current blackberry line switched to the non-smart phone and lose the BIS service (thus avoiding an ETF fee)?

Also, Ive heard that for $20 extra, the primary line can get an upgrade after 10 months. The primary line holer is my father, he has had his phone for 12 months. If he agrees, can I pay Verizon $20 and use the early upgrade to buy the Droid for the $200 2 year plan, or is the 10 month discount less then a normal 2 year discount?

Thanks in advance, this is all just very confusing to me.
    There is no "10 month" period, the primary line can upgrade after one year or "12 months" at the two year promotional sale price with a twenty dollar early upgrade fee.
    01-03-10 05:20 AM
    the 10th month period is when you can upgrade after a 1 year contract
    01-03-10 10:31 AM
    the 10th month period is when you can upgrade after a 1 year contract
    There is no ten month period. It is a year from the day the latest phone was activated. It's referred to as an "annual" (meaning yearly) upgrade.
    01-04-10 09:27 AM
    There is no ten month period. It is a year from the day the latest phone was activated. It's referred to as an "annual" (meaning yearly) upgrade.
    Pk is correct. If someone is on a 1 year contract, they can upgrade at 10 months.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-10 11:20 AM
    Pk is correct. If someone is on a 1 year contract, they can upgrade at 10 months.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    LOL, whatever you say.
    01-04-10 11:39 AM
    You are correct if you sign a two year agreement. However, if you sign a one year agreement (like I do on all five of my lines) your upgrade date is ten months from your contract signing date. Everyone gets a new phone for Christmas every year. If you don't believe me, call Verizon and ask yourself. The key word is one year contract, not annual upgrade.
    01-04-10 12:09 PM
    LOL, whatever you say.
    It's true, I've done it this way for 3 years in a row, on both my and my wife's lines of service.
    01-04-10 12:28 PM
    The key word is one year contract, not annual upgrade.

Ok, I see where PK mentioned one year, my mistake there, but I think the OP was stating that his father had the phone for one year, not necessarily stating he had a one year contract.
    01-04-10 01:04 PM
    Ok, I see where PK mentioned one year, my mistake there, but I think the OP was stating that his father had the phone for one year, not necessarily stating he had a one year contract.
    you are correct
    01-04-10 02:06 PM
    you are correct
    Thank you. So with that in mind, in the case of a two year contract, the earliest the primary line can upgrade is one year from the date of activation.
    01-04-10 03:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD