So I'll be going to Panama next week with my girlfriend and of course I'll need my phone but I'm on Sprint so I know I can't just pop a local sim card in as I don't have a sim slot. Basically, is there an international BIS option? I won't be using voice much anyways, I never do when I'm here. It'd be mostly BBM and e-mail. I just want to see what my options are. Worst case scenario I'll just buy a pre-paid phone down there and pop the sim card into an unlocked at&t phone. I just know I'd miss my Curve while I do that. What are my options?
    01-01-10 10:09 PM
    You can upgrade to the 9630 which works with sprint and gsm networks, one at a time of course. You might check with sprint for a solution, they may have a roamong agrement or service there.
    01-01-10 10:13 PM
    They do have roaming services. I just saw how much the data and voice rates are. I remember somewhere I heard about an international option for BIS that was like $20 more and I can't find any info about it.

Tour isn't an option as I just got my phone in like May or so and I'm not looking to drop $500 or whatever on the Tour when the Tour 2 is starting to appear anyways. I'd rather be without the phone for a week then have to drop that cash right now I think.
    01-01-10 10:17 PM
    Go to sprint, in ecuador we have bis special data roaming options, we pay by day, week, or month, this packages allow me to be with my roaming from ecuador to egypt the entire month with a rate of $30US extra that month, not a expensive way to be in egypt, using all the time my bbm, mails, facebook, all the data app that i use for only that rate, call them to see if they have special data packages for roaming

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-10 08:44 AM
    I do not believe that CDMA devices will work in Panama. You need a GSM device.
    01-02-10 09:25 AM
    They said rent a phone for $40 for voice only or $50 for data/voice. Only two options..a Nokia and a Motorola. I refuse to pay that much when I can buy an unlocked GSM phone for $50 or less.

Weird, this supposed plan I was told about months ago does not seem to exist. A rep told me about it early on when I was signing up.. its half of the reason why I signed up. Argh.
    Last edited by entwined82; 01-02-10 at 09:41 AM.
    01-02-10 09:37 AM
    If the area you're going to has CDMA you can get Sprint Worldwide Data as a plan add-on. The paperwork says its $69.99 but I've read elsewhere that it is actually $40 with an everything plan. You can add it (a couple days before you go - because it has to be activated while you're still in the US), then removed a day or two after you get home (supposedly you have to wait until all data posts to your account or you'll get charged roaming).

On one forum I check I read one guy's account where he went to China for a week and his international bill was something like $10. SOOO much cheaper than roaming and/or renting a phone.

Now, if it is GSM you'd have to either have a Tour to do this.

You have to contact Sprint to add on the attachment.

This was available last I looked (about a week ago) so if any of this information has changed maybe a rep can correct any inaccuracies?
    01-09-10 12:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD