I once posted on this forum here asking if all blackberry trackballs are compatible.... Now that I'm going to purchase one it seems as if the trackballs are NOT compatible.

Look here

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=kGg_A5LD

It says

Compatible Models:

* Blackberry Pearl 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130
    * Blackberry Curve 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330
    * Blackberry 8800, 8820, 8830

How come its not compatible with the BOLD?
    01-01-10 07:25 PM
    Its compatible. trust me. You cant use the silver ring it comes with though.
    01-02-10 12:16 AM
    The units are constructed the same. The Bold and the standard trackball are interchangeable, as is the G1 trackball.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-10 02:07 AM
    Trackball is not the problem, it could be the copper button underneath the trackball.

01-02-10 03:49 AM
    It's not the track ball that's the problem. Are you looking at just the ball or the full assembly? The assembly aren't compatible throughout the range.

01-02-10 06:23 AM
    I thought I understood, but looking to clarify (for myself and the OP)

Trackball unit itself is interchangable accross all models (some require the chrome trim ring) but the actual trackball assembly itself is a standard unit

the "button" attached to the "motherboard" is not standard (and not as easily replaced anyway) and is more specific to certain models.

This includes the G1 trackball.

correct? anyone?
    01-02-10 08:11 AM
    the button is the one always give us problem instead of the trackball.
    01-02-10 08:49 AM
    There is some conflicting info in this thread.... Some people are saying its the buton that's connected to the motherboard... While others are saying only the chrome ring isn't compaitble...

So what's the case here? Can I buy that trackball and actually have it work with my bold?

I'm starting to think that the only part which isn't compaitble is the silver ring that goes on top

01-02-10 09:13 AM
    You have a 9000, What diff does the silver ring matter? That's only applicable to an 81 or 83 series devices. Buy a trackball...a trackball is a trackball and can be swapped between any trackball taking device. Simple as that.

In an effort to help you out, people have made it more complicated then it needs to be.
    01-02-10 09:17 AM
    if the button had no "spring effect", it will be useless no matter what ball that you are going to change.
    01-02-10 09:19 AM
    if the button had no "spring effect", it will be useless no matter what ball that you are going to change.
    At what point did the OP say it had no spring effect? lol. Clearly you're trying to help but obviously there is a conflict between what the OP is asking and what folks are advising.
    01-02-10 09:25 AM
    ok, maybe my mistake to overlook the original thread.
    Yet, is the button replaceable ???
    01-02-10 09:27 AM
    Ok I've fixed over 500 trackball problems now. Here is how it works...
    Any trackball can be used in any device that requires a trackball.
    Pearls, Curves and 8800 series use the ring. The rest dont.
    The little dome switch under the trackball that does the selecting is ALSO interchangable. You could take one off a pearl and it will work on a bold or tour or whatever. But doesnt need to be replaced if the trackball still selects stuff when pressed. The only model I've seen different is the 8330, you can use any keyboard switch to fix that one.
    01-02-10 09:32 AM
    Just wondering if my current trackball doesn't really click , would replacing the whole trackball mechanism improve that?

01-02-10 09:33 AM
    It still actually clicks but I don't have to press hard for it to click... Its like sensetive

01-02-10 09:35 AM
    Trackballs fine, change the switch
    01-02-10 09:38 AM
    Can you please be more detailed? Which switch r u reffering to? I just bought like the trackball off cnn.cn

01-02-10 09:42 AM
    Your trackball is fine, you need to replace the switch under the trackball
    01-02-10 09:42 AM
    I just bought a new G1 since I'm blacking out my bold. If I just replace the whole mechanism I bought of cnn.cn will clicking be back to normal??

01-02-10 09:45 AM
    Cause from what I understand if I just pop the trackball itself out of mechanism and pop in the black trackball the actual clicking and strolling will be the same.

01-02-10 09:46 AM
    Ok I've fixed over 500 trackball problems now. Here is how it works...
    Any trackball can be used in any device that requires a trackball.
    Pearls, Curves and 8800 series use the ring. The rest dont.
    The little dome switch under the trackball that does the selecting is ALSO interchangable. You could take one off a pearl and it will work on a bold or tour or whatever. But doesnt need to be replaced if the trackball still selects stuff when pressed. The only model I've seen different is the 8330, you can use any keyboard switch to fix that one.
    can the little dome switch be purchased?
    01-02-10 09:51 AM
    Check ebay, I'll be selling them shortly on my new website in a few weeks but just getting all the stock now. I only have a few left right now and need them for phones that come in to get fixed.
    01-02-10 09:59 AM
    @damann have you had with the G1 trackballs of ebay? They r only like 3$ , and the sellers r powesellers with almost perfect feedb

Back

01-02-10 10:06 AM
    usually good but I order directly now. sometimes you get bad quality off ebay but its like 1 in 10. If there is a problem its only $3. Replace it again. haha
    01-02-10 10:13 AM
    Exactly. How much is it when you buy direct?

01-02-10 10:17 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD