I know this is probability a really dumb question, but is the itouch with the 64gb memory the same as the 8gb? Does Apple do something to limit the 64gb chip to 8gb or what? If you look at a micro sd card, a 1gb and a 16gb. They are the same externally as will as internally, so is it programing what makes it limited to a smaller gb or am I just dumb?
    12-31-09 11:41 AM
    I personally think it's software that causes it to have it's 'limitations'. Just like a computer using an IDE or SATA drive. They look EXACTLY the same outside, and inside (well, I know the IDE's do). Thus my theory...
    12-31-09 02:30 PM
    I know this is probability a really dumb question, but is the itouch with the 64gb memory the same as the 8gb? Does Apple do something to limit the 64gb chip to 8gb or what? If you look at a micro sd card, a 1gb and a 16gb. They are the same externally as will as internally, so is it programing what makes it limited to a smaller gb or am I just dumb?
    No iphone or itouch have 8gb or 64gb of memory. They have 8, 16, 32, or 64gb of space on the hard drive. Heck, my pc is only running on 9gb of memory, but it has a 1 terabite hard drive.
    12-31-09 07:38 PM
    is the itouch with the 64gb memory the same as the 8gb? Does Apple do something to limit the 64gb chip to 8gb or what?
    No, an iPod Touch or iPhone with 8GB vs 64GB are not using the same configuration of NAND. They might be using fewer of the same model chips in a lower capacity device, or the same number of chips but a lower density, but they are definitely not the same hardware, limited by software.

If you look at a micro sd card, a 1gb and a 16gb. They are the same externally as will as internally
    No, they're not. Externally, yes, because the MicroSD standard dictates the physical dimensions, maximum power consumption, etc. Internally, again, no.

The article below has some X-Ray images of a 16GB MicroSD card.

Sandisk Uses Nine-Chip Stack in Latest microSD Card - Chipworks Inside Angle | Blog on Semiconductor International
    01-03-10 01:12 PM
    That's really cool. I was hoping that it was software and was hoping someone would say that a 8gb could be turned into a 64gb. Thank guys.
    01-03-10 06:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD