Is it possible to turn off the "archiving" feature of App World when you uninstall an app? I find it so annoying. If I delete an app from Options>Applications (in 5.0), then it always appears in my Downloads folder (or wherever the app was originally added) with the green left-pointing arrow and says Archived. Then I have to go to App World>My World, find the app and again click Delete to fully remove it (and even then it still remains in My World but says "uninstalled"). I want it gone completely.

It's so annoying! Only recent versions of App World added this "feature". Is there a way to disable it, so that deleting an app just deletes it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by andy957; 12-30-09 at 12:04 PM.
    12-29-09 11:25 PM
    No idea, i'm running into the same problem. And what makes it worse is when I delete from the system without deleting from the App world, my icon disappears on a reboot to free up memory. Kind of frustrating but its such an amazing phone ya know?
    12-30-09 01:11 AM
    I'm not sure how and if this is possible to do, I would like to know also though. The only thing I have found out how to do is remove all the deleted/archived apps from "my world" in app world. I noticed that when i uninstalled an app, it still was at the bottom of the list of apps in my word and it would say something like archived and it wouldn't go away. If you push alt + rst while in my world, it resets it and deletes all the ones that say archived, I'm not sure but this might also delete them from the downloads folder also. It would be nice to be able to do what you are saying though and just disable that feature completely so they are gone the first time.
    12-30-09 01:23 AM
    you can delete it right from the archived icon, you don't have to go back to appworld
    12-30-09 01:25 AM
    Archive is a new feature at BlackBerry App World.

When you install an application, you leave a record at My World. If you need to re-install the software, all of your selections are listed in My World.

If you then select Archive (in My World), the code files are saved to your media card and the application is removed from memory. When you want the application re-installed, you also select that in My World. The install is very fast becasue all the code is saved on your Media Card.

If you remove the application from Options / Advanced Options / Programs, it does not remove the code on your Media card or remove it from My World. Removing it from My World is a simple matter of deleting the application.

Personally, I am thrilled with Archive / Restore. It means I can keep a much larger selection of applications then would be possible to fit into my memory.
    12-30-09 09:36 AM
    Archive is a new feature at BlackBerry App World.

When you install an application, you leave a record at My World. If you need to re-install the software, all of your selections are listed in My World.

If you then select Archive (in My World), the code files are saved to your media card and the application is removed from memory. When you want the application re-installed, you also select that in My World. The install is very fast becasue all the code is saved on your Media Card.

If you remove the application from Options / Advanced Options / Programs, it does not remove the code on your Media card or remove it from My World. Removing it from My World is a simple matter of deleting the application.

Personally, I am thrilled with Archive / Restore. It means I can keep a much larger selection of applications then would be possible to fit into my memory.
    I understand what you're saying but if I know I will never want to reinstall a particular app, I should at least be given the choice of whether to archive it or not. A simple Yes/No prompt before going to remove the app would be perfect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 09:48 AM
    Agree with you completely. And even after an App appears as "archived" and THEN I uninstall it from AppWorld, it still shows up ghosted at the bottom as "Uninstalled" (instead of "archived"). From what I can see, there's no way at all to completely erase any history of these apps we tried and KNOW we'll never want to install? I'm sure the COD files take up some room - would like to get rid of them.

I understand what you're saying but if I know I will never want to reinstall a particular app, I should at least be given the choice of whether to archive it or not. A simple Yes/No prompt before going to remove the app would be perfect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 10:05 AM
    To completely delete go into app world--> my world. Then go to "uninstalled" or archived app and hold down ALT button and type the letters R S T(while holding down ALT button). It'll take a second but let it do it's thing and the app will disappear!
    12-30-09 10:10 AM
    Agree with you completely. And even after an App appears as "archived" and THEN I uninstall it from AppWorld, it still shows up ghosted at the bottom as "Uninstalled" (instead of "archived"). From what I can see, there's no way at all to completely erase any history of these apps we tried and KNOW we'll never want to install? I'm sure the COD files take up some room - would like to get rid of them.
    Thanks for the moral support, Marsh.

It's true, it's like the house guest that never leaves! LOL

I wonder if there's a way to get an enhancement request over to RIM as I bet you and I are not the only ones who are bothered by this "feature".
    12-30-09 10:30 AM
    To completely delete go into app world--> my world. Then go to "uninstalled" or archived app and hold down ALT button and type the letters R S T(while holding down ALT button). It'll take a second but let it do it's thing and the app will disappear!
    Is that documented somewhere, or is it an "unofficial" back-door to deletion? It doesn't seem appropriate to force someone who may not have the luxury of reading these boards to not have the opportunity to completely remove an app.

Also, what if I'm on a Storm without a physical keyboard?

Thanks for the tip, will try it now and get back to you.
    12-30-09 10:32 AM
    I read and found out this tip here in the forums. I do think that the Storm has it's own shortcut but don't know it off-hand. A little forum search will give you most info you are in need of.

BTW, Andy, I completely 100% agree with you on the ability to remove an app totally from your device.
    Last edited by BlkBryAddict; 12-30-09 at 10:46 AM.
    12-30-09 10:43 AM
    Storm here...so I'll embark on my search....then try a solution...if only my biz partners would quit calling! Sheesh, clients are all happy, we met our targets, it's Dec 30...and my own partners won't leave me alone :-X

Is that documented somewhere, or is it an "unofficial" back-door to deletion? It doesn't seem appropriate to force someone who may not have the luxury of reading these boards to not have the opportunity to completely remove an app.

12-30-09 02:10 PM

it just worked for me
    12-30-09 02:18 PM
    Doesn't it feel good to finally rid your berry of those annoyances?
    12-30-09 03:57 PM
    it just worked for me
    Tried it with 3 different apps listed as "uninstalled". No workie.
    12-30-09 04:06 PM
    What did you do? Here is how I did it: Scroll to "uninstalled app"--> Hold down ALT button--> Then press the letters R,S, T in that order. --> Wait a couple of secs. and the screen should bounce back to reg. app world screen on its own. Then, head back into my world and repeat process for next unistalled app.
    12-30-09 04:20 PM
    That's precisely what I did.
    12-30-09 04:23 PM
    That's precisely what I did.
    Found your solution Andy.

For the Storm: Hold down the number lock key (?123) till it locks, then type 3 4 (
    12-30-09 04:30 PM
    For the Storm: Hold down the number lock key (?123) till it locks, then type 3 4 (
    Success, thanks. I'm so used to SureType and Portrait Mode, so I had to obviously switch to landscape and use the full keyboard, then it worked great.

Thanks to both of you for the help, it works ok now on the Tour/8900 as well. Just isn't instantaneous as I expected it to be. Seems like it freed up some memory as well, which is never a bad thing.

I still think it's wrong, however, to have to do this. Most BB users will never know about this functionality unless specifically looking for a solution on Crackberry or elsewhere online. I still say RIM should give you a prompt when you go to delete an app from the Applications list, something to the effect of: "Archive app? Yes/No" or however else could be simply worded.

Thanks for listening to my rants, and have a happy new year.
    Last edited by andy957; 12-30-09 at 04:37 PM.
    12-30-09 04:35 PM
    Glad I could help. It used to **** me off too!!! So I know how you feel.
    12-30-09 04:37 PM
    Whoa! Did that 3 4 ( sequence...and not only did the one app I wanted to disappear vanish, some other apps I forgot I installed through AppWorld suddenly SHOWED UP on MyWorld. I'm assuming I now see the correct set of Apps. I get confused since some Apps are slow to push to MyWorld, I'll end up upgrading directly (e.g. Viigo, Facebook) and not wait for them to show up on AppWorld. In any case, I think I'm ok, as every app I see on MyWorld now is truly something I'm currently using.

Which leads me to my next question. I have QuickPullFree installed (and using it), but I downloaded and installed a "fix" for OS 5.0 directly from Steelthorn's website a while ago. Is it ok to go back and forth like this without "confusing" my AppWorld configuration?

Found your solution Andy.

12-30-09 06:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD