My trackball was giving me problem, so I cleaned it. Even after cleaning it was not scrolling upwards smoothly. It was working fine the other three ways (down, left & right). What I did was I placed the trackball upside down. Its still giving me problem in scrolling upwards. Ideally after placing the trackball upside down, it should have had given me problem in scrolling downwards. I hope you get what I am trying to say.

Please tell me what could be the problem. Could anything be wrong with the square plate/circuit on which trackball works/placed?
    12-29-09 02:24 PM
    This is what worked well for me: I assume that you have taken your trackball out of your phone so we don't need to worry about any warranty issues. Remove the trackball and soak it in a small amount of rubbing alcohol, while soaking, spin it around and roll the ball and all four rollers around for a bit. Then re-soak it for just short time more and remove it from the alcohol. Take a toothpick and carefully check each roller for any lint and remove it. Now let the trackball air dry or blow it out with compressed air. While waiting for it to dry, lightly dampen a cotton swab and carefully clean the contacts and "press pad" where the trackball sits. Just be careful not to over damped the area and remove any lint that the cotton swab left behind. Worked for me and I haven't had a problem for months...good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 02:48 PM
    I have done the cleaning the way you explained Shine4JC. Is there any thing more powerful than alcohol which could do the cleaning more effectively and at the same time does not spoil the trackball?
    12-30-09 01:26 AM
    I cleaned the trackball with alcohol swabs without taking it out. Movement has improvement a little. The other trackball I have is soaked in a pool of thinner as we speak. Lets see what happens when it dries. Will let you know guys.
    12-30-09 05:10 AM
    Curvy, I would just be concerned about a product that has the potential to melt plastic. Alcohol, mineral spirits or paint thinner should be fine. Personally, rubbing alcohol did the trick for me. One thing I would warn about is to be careful with getting the trackball too wet while it is in the phone because first, it could cause a short and secondly, too much product could actually loosen up the glue that holds the press pad down which could be causing these many clicking issues. Another thing to consider is that when using a cotton swab or any lint filled item is that you may be putting more fibers into the trackball than what you are removing. So, if your not concerned about warranty, take it out and give it a thorough cleaning and drying. If you are inclined to leave it in and clean it, make sure you use a lint free applicator and try not to get too much fluid running into your phone and remember to pull the battery out too.

12-30-09 07:33 AM
    Its working flawlessly! (the one I soaked/cleaned with the thinner) .....
    12-30-09 07:42 AM
    Well great news! Glad it worked for you

12-30-09 07:46 AM
    Now the only thing I want to fix is the loose battery cover. It really irritates me especially when I am typing an email or SMS. By the way thanks for all the help.
    12-30-09 07:50 AM
    Its working flawlessly! (the one I soaked/cleaned with the thinner) .....
    Wow, you mocked at me when I wanted to clean it with thinner, any ways...
    Try to notice that there is stand on PCB where your trackball resides, there are four different sensors,
    Clean them gently with very soft hands,
    And even in between them, a small rounded pin sort of connector,
    Don't hurry do it easy.

12-30-09 10:00 AM
    Now the only thing I want to fix is the loose battery cover. It really irritates me especially when I am typing an email or SMS.
    By the way thanks for all the help.
    Same here bro,
    Post the method if you found some sollution.

12-30-09 10:02 AM
    so glad i know longer have to have this problem trackpad is way better then the balls hope u can get it fixed
    12-30-09 11:14 AM
    No I did not! I only said to try a perfume, since it has alcohol. Thats all I said....
    12-30-09 11:16 AM
    No I did not! I only said to try a perfume, since it has alcohol. Thats all I said....
    thank god....
    IPA rocks
    it helped me get trackball experience as new one.
    12-31-09 12:59 AM
    I use the screen cleaner fluid, spray some of that onto your trackball and run that around for a bit.
    12-31-09 05:39 AM
    I don't have an 8900, but I've heard of people putting a small piece of paper under the battery, or on top of the battery (between the battery itself and the battery door) to snug up a loose/creaky battery door. Has anyone tried this? (I'm thinking something like a business card would work pretty good)
    01-01-10 10:57 AM
    dancing-bass: A piece of paper over the battery has almost resolved the problem.

Business card didnt work since its thicker.

Many thanks for the idea......

Now the only thing remaining is the move in keyboard. Please give me an out of the box kind of idea like you just did for batter cover......
    Last edited by Curvy_8320; 01-01-10 at 03:21 PM.
    01-01-10 02:48 PM
    again, not familiar with the device, but if you're comfortable taking it apart, I'm willing to bet underneath the keypad there is probably some sort of foam to support the keys. Not sure, but if you're comfortable taking it apart (and possibly voiding your warrenty) see whats under there. Also do a search in the forums. I'm willing to bet there is a solution to the keyboard issue as well...

01-01-10 10:29 PM
    I have open my BB 4-5 times by now......just wanted to see how it looks from inside … and also to clean the trackball.

I have heard about the foam you are talking about. The actual keyboard is placed in a black frame. The foam supports the black frame and not the keyboard itself. Atleast thats what my observation is ...
    01-02-10 12:32 PM
    PM me some hi-res pics of the guts, preferably from afew different angles and straight down. maybe I'll get an idea or 2

01-02-10 12:41 PM
    how to PM you? you mean yahoo messenger?
    01-02-10 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD