I currently have a 8320 with T-Mobile(I have to wait till upgrade February) I am getting tired of having such a little screen with the 8320 and the limitation of the web browsers on the blackberry (I hate mobile view). I use Bolt and Opera mini too. I am considering switching to the iphone because of the larger screen, and I've been told that the iphone has the best web browser on the market right now. Is the 9700 that much better?
    12-28-09 01:07 PM
    Personal preference. Although if you have to wait until February, might as well wait a little longer and see if RIM's new webkit browser is as good as mobile Safari on the iPhone.
    12-28-09 01:11 PM
    I agree with curve the webkit browser will probably be just as good
    12-28-09 01:20 PM
    +1 on personal preference. One of the better BB browsers and Better battery life for the 9700. Pure entertainment (iPhone) versus practicality/performance and entertainment (9700). Once the new webkit browser comes out, l have heard that it rivals Safari. For now, no one would dispute that Safari is better and the iPhone has the larger screen. However, as a functional tool and communication device, the 9700 wins handsdown IMO. Virtual versus QWERTY keyboard. I like the 9700 keyboard better than the virtual keyboard on my iPod Touch. Damage the virtual keyboard...Oh well...Replacing the SIM card, iPhone needs a "special" wrench whereas the battery cover and battery on the 9700 are easy to remove/replace. Put in the SIM...done.
    12-28-09 01:21 PM
    you'll thank yourself by getting the iPhone
    12-28-09 01:25 PM
    I currently have a 8320 with T-Mobile(I have to wait till upgrade February) I am getting tired of having such a little screen with the 8320 and the limitation of the web browsers on the blackberry (I hate mobile view). I use Bolt and Opera mini too. I am considering switching to the iphone because of the larger screen, and I've been told that the iphone has the best web browser on the market right now. Is the 9700 that much better?
    Honestly, if ur dead set on iphone I'd wait until the next model drops. Shouldn't be too much longer if ur upgrade is in Feb.

Just picked up the 9700 myself after a LONG iphone vs 9700 debate. Basically I chose the BB for 4 main reasons:
    1. Ability to just type the contact's name from the home page. May seem trivial, but having to hit contacts the scroll or try to nail that search bar every time is a pretty big inconvenience in my opinion. Managing a bunch of contacts on an iphone is a pain.
    2. I have an ipod and I wouldn't use the iphone as an ipod. The sound quality of an ipod is better and more powerful than an iphone. If I want to use premium headphones with my iphone then I sacrifice the ability to talk hands free. If I want hands free then I sacrifice sound quality. Not a great trade off in my opinion.
    3. I realized the only things that really drew me to an iphone were browsing and the apps. Might as well get an ipod touch to answer these needs.
    4. iphone can't download attachments or edit ms office documents. wtf?

hope this helps.
    12-28-09 01:29 PM
    I've seen that newegg.com sells an unlocked BB Storm 2. This would alleviate having such a small screen, but does that phone support T-Mobile's 3G bands? It says that its compatible with T-Mobile
    12-28-09 01:33 PM
    The new iPhone won't drop until summer as always. The new webkit browser will be close to Safari.
    12-28-09 01:35 PM
    The new iPhone won't drop until summer as always. The new webkit browser will be close to Safari.
    True, but I feel another 4-5 months after a few years with his 83xx won't kill him/her. I had my pearl for 3 years. Obviously could have bought the 9000 a few months prior, but I held out a little longer just for the 9700 to come out.
    12-28-09 01:39 PM
    It nearly killed me I couldn't handle it. But I've had the mentioned devices off and on so the 83xx series a real downgrade for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-09 01:44 PM
    Honestly, if ur dead set on iphone I'd wait until the next model drops. Shouldn't be too much longer if ur upgrade is in Feb.

Just picked up the 9700 myself after a LONG iphone vs 9700 debate. Basically I chose the BB for 4 main reasons:
    1. Ability to just type the contact's name from the home page. May seem trivial, but having to hit contacts the scroll or try to nail that search bar every time is a pretty big inconvenience in my opinion. Managing a bunch of contacts on an iphone is a pain.
    2. I have an ipod and I wouldn't use the iphone as an ipod. The sound quality of an ipod is better and more powerful than an iphone. If I want to use premium headphones with my iphone then I sacrifice the ability to talk hands free. If I want hands free then I sacrifice sound quality. Not a great trade off in my opinion.
    3. I realized the only things that really drew me to an iphone were browsing and the apps. Might as well get an ipod touch to answer these needs.
    4. iphone can't download attachments or edit ms office documents. wtf?

hope this helps.
    Thanks mad eyes for you input.
    12-28-09 01:48 PM
    I was an early iphone adopter (has it for 2.5 yrs)....the device changed the way we use our mobile phones...when I took a job with a new company they gave me a BB Curve, I now own a 9700...from a pure entertainment and lifestyle standpoint...the iPhone is a clear winner, from an application standpoint...iPhone wins again...for hardcore communications, email and day to day business use...blackberry gets the nod...

I find now, after a few months of shakes, sweats and general separation anxiety, I am able to function quite well without my iPhone. In fact, RIM is slowly and steadily closing the gap where once the iPhone was untouchable.

a tough choice indeed, but if your are a lifestyle user, go iPhone.
    if you are a professional (esp. on a BES) go with the Blackberry.

but, you know what they say about opinions! LOL
    12-28-09 01:48 PM
    Being honest, I've had a few of both, so I'd make these points,

• With the iPhone, Contact management is a pain in the ar**, In fact, I've had mine crash or lag severely a few times due to the amount of contacts I have / the amount of data each contact contains.
    • If your stuck somewhere, without the proprietary cable, Your screwed over.
    • Typing on the iPhone can be a pain at times, espsically during bumpy rides, I take the bus (so I'm not left to rely on my parents for transportation) and I can say typing on some routes we have here, or some of the older buses is a pain, because if you hit a bump, the phone jolts to a different spot, meaning you end up hitting the wrong button.
    • No expandable memory, If you get a 16GB, You'll always have a 16GB, a 32GB will always be a 32GB
    • Just as moisture effects the optical trackpad of the 9700, Moisture will also effect the capacitive touch sensor of the iPhone.
    • Battery life of the iPhone 3G or 3GS compared to the 9700, isn't even comparable, An iPhone will be dead by 5-6PM if you disconnect it at 6-7AM, I can get to at least 7-8AM the next day if I disconnect at 7AM the prior day before I need to charge it.

If you want something for movies and music, and some cool apps, the iPhone is your winner, for actual, unadulterated communication, the BlackBerry wins, hands down.

Do take my thoughts with a grain of salt, they're coming from a 16 year old British kid, Your needs and wants will most likely vary greatly. [:
    Last edited by xDAKx; 12-28-09 at 01:54 PM.
    12-28-09 01:52 PM
    My wife's iPhone, even turning off functions that she does not use and reducing backlight brightness, is in desperate need of a charge every night whereas my 9700 has 80-85% battery left after a long day of emailing, texting and surfing.
    12-28-09 02:15 PM
    You mentioned that you want a bigger screen and a better web browsing experience. Go with the iphone.....
    12-28-09 02:32 PM
    If that's what you want - that's what the iPhone's got! Go for it!

You mentioned that you want a bigger screen and a better web browsing experience. Go with the iphone.....
    12-28-09 02:42 PM
    Iphone isn't user friendly in my opinion bc you can't have multiple apps open you can only have one app open at a time. This is a problem when you use your phone for a lot of things. BB is more like a computer there's so much you can do. I have an ipod touch and there's things I can do on there that you can do on the iphone.

12-28-09 03:31 PM
    Replacing the SIM card, iPhone needs a "special" wrench whereas the battery cover and battery on the 9700 are easy to remove/replace. Put in the SIM...done.
    I just came from an iPhone. I have no idea of this "special wrench" to remove the sim card. It's called a paper clip. I have removed my sim card many times.
    12-28-09 03:59 PM
    The point that I was making is that it is easier to remove/install the SIM card on the 9700.
    12-28-09 04:03 PM
    It's true that I needed a paper clip but I actually found it was easier to remove the SIM on the iPhone. The 9700 I always think I am going to brake the card when I slide it out. But it is true that you don't need any additional things. Don't get me wrong I love the 9700. But I think people are categorizing the iPhone as just an entertainment device is wrong, it did pretty well for email, sms, and phone. In fact, email was a little better - Gmail was way easier to set up and I actually could receive messages from myself to myself. (I'm on ATT, they have some sort of filter.)
    12-28-09 04:14 PM
    It's true that I needed a paper clip but I actually found it was easier to remove the SIM on the iPhone. The 9700 I always think I am going to brake the card when I slide it out. But it is true that you don't need any additional things.
    Not to take this off-topic.

The best way to get it out I've found, is to push the SIM card up from the end (the left side of the SIM card if your looking at it in a "landscape" orientation) and then gently pry the card over the small metal lip on the right side, it'll slide out easily after that.

I had an 8900, in which I did manage to flex my SIM card so much trying to get it out to cause it to be damaged, which was horrific considering it happened at 1am, I had to wait until 9am that morning for the local store to open.
    12-28-09 04:22 PM
    I own a 9700 right now after giving up on my iPhone 3G and fully back my decision, but people have different needs. If you primarily want a smartphone for web browsing then the iPhone wins, no questions asked. I've heard things about the new browser blackberrys been working on, but honestly i don't see how it can even come close to the iPhone's safari. It has a much bigger screen, pages load at least twice as fast, REAL websites load (not that mobile crap) and the finger gestures are very intuitive. If there's one thing i'll miss about my iPhone it's definitely Safari.
    12-28-09 04:24 PM
    If you ever need to search text for that elusive email or need multiple vibrate settings for different types of messages, then get the Blackberry. An iPhone will only search by sender name and subject line, not the body of the email itself. An iPhone cannot be set to vibrate differently for different messages. I have my 9700 set to vibrate once for emails, twice for SMS, three times plus a ring for phone calls, etc....

For pure fun, consider the iPhone.
    12-28-09 04:34 PM
    I agree arsenal. And thanks for the tip xDaKx

12-28-09 04:36 PM
    If you ever need to search text for that elusive email or need multiple vibrate settings for different types of messages, then get the Blackberry. An iPhone will only search by sender name and subject line, not the body of the email itself. An iPhone cannot be set to vibrate differently for different messages. I have my 9700 set to vibrate once for emails, twice for SMS, three times plus a ring for phone calls, etc....

For pure fun, consider the iPhone.
    I think once I get the iphone, I will still keep my BB.
    12-28-09 08:59 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD