The first day the 9700 came out, I bought it for $249 with a $100 rebate. Well, I ended up taking it in to exchange it (didn't send in rebate) and saw the 9700 being advertised with a $199 base price and $150 mail-in rebate, so I jumped at it (hey, if I'm gonna be living with a tilted trackpad for two years, I wanted some of my money back ), and I canceled the original contract and made a new one at the new price.
    In the end, I ended up with this receipt: Restocking fee of $35; 9700 (Return) for -$249; new 9700 for $199. With tax involved, it evened out to a total of -$19, and I got a nice rebate for $150.

I was a happy camper, thinking I had just regained $69, until I just now read this..: "Mail in rebate is not available if discounts provided at the point of sale bring the sale price of the device to or below $0."

HEY NOW...the receipt I'm sending them says -$19. (BUT I already payed $269 the first time around!) Was I seriously just cheated out of my $150 rebate??? What can I do about this???
    12-27-09 11:40 PM
    I think you are ok you did not receive discounts you just got credit for money you has already paid. You should be fine for your rebate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-09 11:51 PM
    I think you are ok you did not receive discounts you just got credit for money you has already paid. You should be fine for your rebate.

So getting it at $199 instead of $249 won't be considered a discount? I do hope they see it as return money :|
    12-27-09 11:55 PM
    *bump*
    Anyone else? Please tell me what you think :s

12-31-09 09:48 AM
    You're fine. As long as it says that the BASE price of the phone is more than $150, you're perfectly fine. I'm an at&t employee myself, so don't worry about it. Noone discounted your phone to less than $150 so your rebate is still fine. Just don't forget to send it in!
    01-19-10 05:20 PM
    I have a similar problem. I bought one then had to return it next day and swap it out for new one since the x key didn't work on the 1st one. Should I include both receipts for the rebate form?
    01-22-10 06:15 PM
    Rebate form must be filled out with the info from the second phone and should include the receipt from the second phone along with the barcode from the second box.
    01-23-10 02:45 PM
    if you received that messgae, return to your local store where you purchased it and have them call the 800 number and simply explain to the rebate department what happened. the rebate department will happily reprocess the rebate with no issues. You are 100% in the clear, you simply did an exchange in the store (semi price match) lol...but yea just stop back at your store and have them call for you. We deal with things like that regularly
    02-02-10 03:49 PM
    My wife has gone through 3 or 4 phones. They actually didn't swap out the box so tonite she has to swap the phone out yet again just to have the matching box for the rebate. Not bright those ATT reps. She even told them last time she swapped phones.
    02-11-10 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD