I can use the gps function fine on my Tour with Blackberry maps. I downloaded and installed Google Maps and sometimes I can get a GPS position, but more often than not, I cannot. I get the my location within 9400 meters or so message. GPS temporarily unavailable. Anybody know why this is? I've only seen it work with Google Maps a couple of times. It's frustrating because Google Maps seems like a much better application for GPS.
    12-27-09 11:23 PM
    It just takes a minute or less to acquire a GPS signal. Make sure yo are outside or near a window when inside. This will make your GPS signal acquisition much quicker.
    12-27-09 11:27 PM
    It takes a minute or less for Blackberry Maps....Actually BlackBerry Maps is quick. Google on the other hand sometimes never aquires satellites. I mean, I can run BlackBerry maps, find my position with it showing 11-12 satellites then run Google Maps and I get the message that my location is within 9400 meters.
    12-27-09 11:38 PM
    Im assuming you have your GPS options set to Location on? Just need to make sure. Google maps is alot better than BB maps. I can get my location within 5-10 seconds on google maps and its within a few meters.
    12-28-09 02:12 AM
    how is google maps on the tour? can you use navigation through it?
    12-28-09 02:17 AM
    I'm running 4.7.1.61 and use Google Maps every day. It finds my GPS location (within 3 meters usually) within a few seconds every time. There have been a few times where it refused to work, but a battery pull fixed it every time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-09 04:02 AM
    how is google maps on the tour? can you use navigation through it?
    Just download the app it's easy! Runs a lot quicker than BB Maps.
    12-28-09 04:08 AM
    Yes I must say Google Maps is by far superior to BB maps in my opinion, I always use the Satellite view and only takes 10 seconds tops to lock in around 3-9meters. To the OP, just curious, when you are done with BB maps, do you hit the "Stop GPS Navigation" before you close the app? Not sure if it matters, but maybe that's why your GPS isn't available to use with Goggle Maps, just a thought you might try.
    12-28-09 06:27 AM
    i use Google Maps on my 9630/4.7.1.61 also. i've found that when i navigate away from the Google Map screen (using app switcher) that my location resets to 2800 meters or so. When i navigate back, it takes a few seconds to get my location to within 3 meters.

i noticed this when using Google Latitude and a friend was watching me on Lat as i loaded up the Google Maps screen and then away from.

12-28-09 06:38 AM
    Google Maps rarely gets an accurate pinpoint of my location. The "gps is temp. unavailable" message is common.

BlackBerry Maps has been accurate every time I've used it and seems nice enough. The one issue I do have is that the street names in my neighborhood are wrong (city changed them a few months ago) while Google Maps allows users to report errors like that.
    12-28-09 04:45 PM
    I run Google Maps as well and I find there is a problem where the program lags for maybe 10~20 seconds and the whole phone freezes during that time and the "busy clock" runs during that time. Is that a common problem? I'm running 4.7.1.60 with GMaps 3.2.1.

12-28-09 07:04 PM
    I run Google Maps as well and I find there is a problem where the program lags for maybe 10~20 seconds and the whole phone freezes during that time and the "busy clock" runs during that time. Is that a common problem? I'm running 4.7.1.60 with GMaps 3.2.1.

I have the same annoyance on my tour running an os 5 hybrid. When google maps starts there is a 10-20sec lag...then it lags again when i try and scroll around sometimes and if im in a moving car with gps, ehh, lags so much on trying to render the next sqaure of the map its so annoying. Sadly, my wife just got an ipod touch...google maps on there...wow. so smooth, it puts this to shame, badly. My WinMo device had good google maps too. BBMaps seems to work ok, whats the deal with google maps??
    12-29-09 07:30 AM
    I have been having this same issue since I got the device. I am on my 3rd unit after trackball hardware issues, but the hardware on this one has been solid for 4 months now. Problem is Google Maps bogs down the device badly similar to these other posters. I get ourglass for 20-30 seconds on start up then randomly get 20-60 second hourglass freezes while runnign GM. With GM in the background, other apps occasionally get short 5-10 second freezes. Seems like s/w incompatibility between BB OS 4.7.1.61 and GM 3.2.1

I have done numerous battery pulls, reinstalled Maps 3.2.1, upgraded to latest VZW supported OS - allto no avail. What do the experts think?
    01-19-10 08:38 PM
    I've been running all the 5.0 OSs and with all of them....google maps is unusable. I don't know why but its painful and sad hoe better it runs on other operating systems (WinMo,iPhone,Android obviously...)

01-20-10 05:35 AM
    I've been running all the 5.0 OSs and with all of them....google maps is unusable. I don't know why but its painful and sad hoe better it runs on other operating systems (WinMo,iPhone,Android obviously...)

Same here but with no hybrids and Google Maps has worked every time without a hitch. Living in a metro city area might help my signal as well because when I hit find location it takes seconds and it is always 3 meters away.

01-20-10 05:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD