Hey everyone. Before I left the United States I had called Verizon Wireless' customer service to activate the international data plan (so that I could use my BB in Chile). When I arrived in Chile my BB didn't work (there was no signal and my data wasn't working). I called VZW customer service to try and resolve the problem, and they thought that there was something wrong with my phone because it wasn't recognizing the international sim card that had come with the phone...so basically they said I was screwed. Well, the other day I borrowed a friend's sim card (with a local number) and my phone works (so it is able to read the sim card).

I want to be able to use my Tour down here using the VZW services (for data). Does anyone know what the problem could be?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    12-27-09 09:54 PM
    Well, it sounds as if the verizon sim card is the problem if it recognized another sim card. So I'd call verizon again and see if they can ship a new sim card to you. I guess you could pull it out and put it back in once or twice and see if maybe it was not making good contact.
    12-27-09 11:00 PM
    I've heard of a few similar complaints. If I were you I would just buy a pre paid SIM from where ever you are. I believe you should be able to get BB connectivity down in Argentina. From my experience, Verizons international SIM card is spotty at best.

This may help

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/argentina-393255/
    Last edited by cenloe; 12-27-09 at 11:34 PM.
    12-27-09 11:31 PM
    I was in Japan a couple of months ago and my 9630 worked just fine. I called VZW to unlock the included SIM card that came with my phone, and added the global plan.

Make sure the "Network selection Mode" is set to "Automatic" and the "Network Technology" is set to "Global" under Mobile Network Options.

While in Japan, the DATA worked flawlessly. I was able to receive emails (from my company BES) and used the web. I didn't have to purchase a pre-paid SIM card as I was making/receiving calls from my US number ($2.99/min), though I'd expect it would have worked.
    12-28-09 12:08 AM
    did you call verizon global support and tell them your sim card number? Does your phone say SOS in the top right when you are there? If so Verizon might have your wrong SIM card number or none at all which would explain why it is not working.
    12-28-09 10:18 AM
    Did you activate the SIM card before you left the US?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-09 10:28 AM
    It does sound like the sim card might not have been activated before you left the states

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-09 12:48 PM
    How would I go about activating the sim card?? When I called VZW they got my sim card number (from their records) so that they could attach it to the global plan. Maybe they confused the sim card in my tour for another one that's attached to my domestic plan.
    12-28-09 08:58 PM
    I'd call them again and explain that the sim card is NOT working but that when you tried a local card, that local card worked. That would mean it is the Verizon sim card that is bad. They should rectify the situation by fedex-ing or other a new sim card and offset your expenses in fixing this!
    12-28-09 09:09 PM
    I agree with the folks above - the Vodafone SIM card was not properly activated. Since your USA number will actually call the SIM card when you are out of the country, it has to be activated by Verizon **AND** you have to dial *228 (then 1) to activate the SIM card + features while in the USA. If they forgot to tell you that, then that might be the problem.

I traveled to Costa Rica in early/mid December (actually the day that Costa Rica enabled their 3G network... in like one spot), and everything worked fine (voice/data).
    12-28-09 11:50 PM
    Figures they would forget to tell me. Thanks for all the help everyone!
    12-29-09 10:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD