I seen to be having and issue with my month old Bell Bold 9700. Since Christmas eve i've had this issue whenever i receive or make a call the phone will rapidly switch between the headset mode and handset mode making it impossible to have a conversation. I called bell and they are saying that they dont know what it is and now i am forced to send my phone off for weeks of repair. I am not sure if anyone ever came across this issue and have a fix not looking for to 1 pay for a loaner phone as well as be without my phone for 3-6 weeks. i tried everything upgrading to the latest OS as well as leaving it at factory specs, nothing works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    12-27-09 04:43 PM
    try sticking the headphones in and out of the jack
    12-27-09 04:48 PM
    i agree with noaim. Happened to me once an putting the headphones in and taking them back out resolved the problem.
    12-27-09 05:08 PM
    Thank you very much Noaim/jtroup, that definitely did the trick. Saved me from a a lengthy repair and having to pay for a loaner.
    12-28-09 02:25 PM
    I have the exact same problem on my 9700. I have tried to plug in and unplug a headset and that did not help. I even tried a battery pull with no luck.

It works with the headset plugged in and while this occurs I can switch it to handset mode... but when I pull out the headset it begins to switch back and forth making it impossible to hear/speak any phone call (kind of a requirement).

This is super frustrating. I can't even use my phone without a stupid headset.
    01-28-10 04:52 PM
    I started having the same issues yesterday. I've had my TMO Curve 8900 for about 9 months now. Plugged/unplugged the headset numerous times and pulled the battery, no luck. Going to swing by TMO store to see if they can do anything. Does the same thing when on speaker phone.
    02-02-10 07:26 PM
    Unlocked AT&T Bold 9700. Just started yesterday, and inserting and removing the headset doesn't work. It only happens in the phone mode - the audio player works fine. Help!
    02-02-10 09:47 PM
    Having same issue
    02-17-10 10:03 PM
    I had this issue as well...
    It happens once in a while still.
    But I know how to fix It
    02-17-10 10:25 PM
    Does anyone know how to fix this issue with the phone rapidly switching from headset to handset mode?

I noticed putting the headset back into the phone does not work...

Thank you!
    02-18-10 09:07 AM
    It's a software bug. It uses to do that on mine but not anymore. Don't know why.
    02-18-10 09:11 AM
    But I know how to fix It
    How did you fix it?
    02-21-10 07:06 PM
    But I know how to fix It
    Yes, I had the same problem a couple of nights back. I just plugged the headset in and out and change the volume.
    Could you tell me how do you fix it please?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-10 07:18 AM
    Mine does exactly the same thing, suddenly started doing it today for no reason. Read elsewhere that canned air removes dust from inside the headset terminal, which is what I thought it might be. Worked for that person, and I blew into the terminal (have no canned air) and it fixed it - for a minute. Then I rebooted and it was doing it again and I can't stop it doing it now, even after blowing into it.

Tried upgrading all the software, removing battery, etc. Works with headset in as with the other users here. If you switch to handset it switches back to headset.

Would be nice for Blackberry to acknowledge this major fault soon as there seems to be a great deal of people with this problem
    03-05-10 12:29 PM
    this just worked for me:

1) Plug headset in
    2) Make a dummy call (to voicemail or whatever)
    3) During the call press menu and switch to handset
    4) For me it stayed in handset mode so maybe I was wrong saying it switches back before -
    5) Unplug headset
    6) Stays in handset mode
    7) Further calls will all be in handset mode.

If you reboot, you'll have to do this again
    03-05-10 12:33 PM
    Mine does exactly the same thing, suddenly started doing it today for no reason. Read elsewhere that canned air removes dust from inside the headset terminal, which is what I thought it might be. Worked for that person, and I blew into the terminal (have no canned air) and it fixed it - for a minute. Then I rebooted and it was doing it again and I can't stop it doing it now, even after blowing into it.

Tried upgrading all the software, removing battery, etc. Works with headset in as with the other users here. If you switch to handset it switches back to headset.

Would be nice for Blackberry to acknowledge this major fault soon as there seems to be a great deal of people with this problem
    Did you fixed the problem?

I have exactly the same problem already tried rebooting, removing battery swiped the entire thing all does not work. Also tried the other methods the people on this forum advised. Does anyone has an other idea? Thanks
    Last edited by kikaku; 03-08-10 at 10:33 AM.
    03-08-10 10:02 AM
    hate to dig up an old thread..
    mine got this issue today, tech support, however AWESOME. couldent get it fixed. new phone soon. w00t.
    03-13-10 03:52 AM
    It has been a couple of weeks that my Bold 9700 does the same exact annoying thing and, though I tried the remedies above, the problems persist. Please help!
    03-17-10 07:46 AM
    this just worked for me:

1) Plug headset in
    2) Make a dummy call (to voicemail or whatever)
    3) During the call press menu and switch to handset
    4) For me it stayed in handset mode so maybe I was wrong saying it switches back before -
    5) Unplug headset
    6) Stays in handset mode
    7) Further calls will all be in handset mode.

If you reboot, you'll have to do this again
    When you stick your Headphone back in, will it still be in Handset mode, or auto switch to Headphones again?

Damn, this seems to be one of those Issues RIM couldn't nail! I've read about this issue on the Bold 9000 and experienced it myself on a Curve 8900. I just stopped using to use a Headphone on my Curve 8900 (which makes it useless as MP3 Player, glad I have a Cowon iAudio D2). When I insert a 3.5mm jack plug it'll go wrong about 50% off the time, then I have insert the jack plug again and move it up and down in order to solve this issue.

I think it's something like a fragile MicroSwitch. I just want to disable "Call using Headphones" but as far as I noticed, this is not possible .

This is really a bummer, I was going to move over to the Bold 9700, why didn't they fix this Issue !
    03-17-10 08:02 AM
    My 9700 is doing this same thing. Have to fiddle around with headset to get it fixed, and has made it useless as a MP3 Player. Anyone find a permantant solution? New handheld code resolve the problem?
    03-22-10 01:24 AM
    I just had a 9700 experience this issue. Nothing I could do to fix it. Had to get the handset replaced. My guess is it's cheap Chinese headset jack parts.
    03-22-10 07:56 PM
    I recently upgraded to 5.0.0.545, I hesitate to say that it is fixed (it has only been three days now), but so far I had not experienced the same problem.
    03-23-10 11:25 AM
    I recently upgraded to 5.0.0.545, I hesitate to say that it is fixed (it has only been three days now), but so far I had not experienced the same problem.

I upgraded to .545 and it did not fix the problem. I downgraded to the carrier's released OS and it didn't fix it. I wiped the device completely and it didn't fix it.

I think the fact that yours is fixed is merely coincidental to your upgrade to .545.
    Last edited by John Clark; 03-23-10 at 11:41 AM.
    03-23-10 11:34 AM
    like i said man, my carrier deems this as a faulty hardware issue i dont think software could fix this
    03-23-10 11:36 AM
    Had this issue with 9700. Turned out to be broken speaker port somewhere in the thing. Had to get a replacement. No issues since
    03-23-10 11:37 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD