Hey guys.. Today I noticed that my memory keeps getting lower and lower until I do a quickpull soft reset. I had no iddea what was going on until just now I held the menu button down and noticed several open apps that I didn't want open. So I closed them all.. But when I close BBM and the browser they keep reopening. I close BBM and then hold menu to close the browser and BBM is open again. It keeps happening and happens the other way around as well. Could this be spyware or something? SomeThing else? Please help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-09 04:34 PM
    Actually are bbm and the browser supposed to always be open in the background? It also keeps happening with the phone dial screen. I hold down menu and open phone up so I can close it and then when I hold menu again the phone just comes back up.

Maybe I just never realized before that all these things are always open?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by uconnkid3219; 12-27-09 at 04:47 PM.
    12-27-09 04:43 PM
    phone, messages, bb messenger, browser and home thing will always be there whether you like it or not. im not sure if they are always running, or if they are more like permanent links for convenience. neither would surprise me, but the only way to get rid of any of that is to uninstall the thing you dont like looking at. bb messenger is usually the first thing i get rid of when i do os upgrades.

as far as where your free memory goes over time, nobody seems to know for sure. my guess is that it goes to the same place that the light goes when you turn off the switch
    12-27-09 05:46 PM
    Hahah thanks a lot man. I realized after I posted that they were the permanent icons (it was the BBM that was throwing me off, didn't think it was one of the permanent ones). Anyways, thanks a lot!

This memory leak is pissing me off a little bit though. Had a little over 25MB free when I did a reset earlier, now I'm down to 20.6 again. QuickPull will be notifying me shortly that I have gone below 20 and I will have to do another reset. Never had this problem before until today, thinking maybe I have too many apps b/c I downloaded some more yesterday. Idk though it seems odd b/c I would think a memory leak would only be a problem with OPENED apps... not just having them installed.
    12-27-09 07:37 PM
    I was having major issues with this until I uninstalled bb app world. Seems my leak was coming from there.
    12-28-09 07:11 AM
    OP, what are the apps you have installed? Also, to make sure that apps (other than the core 5 that remain open) are closed, make sure when you are done with an app to do menu button --> close instead of just the red button/escape button.
    12-28-09 08:48 AM
    Apps that leak memory are usually ones that check the internet every so often, weather apps, rss readers, stuff like that. Weatherbug and Viigo are BIG time leakers. And yes I have heard of folks having issues with App World. Some of us feel the CB App store is better anyways.

Besides listing your apps as CD has suggested what OS are you on? Are you on 5.0.0.328, or 4.7.0.148, or something else?
    12-28-09 10:00 AM
    Just change quickpull to not reset until it gets down to 3mb. That is what I do. my storm use to boot with only 10MB after a pull because of having too many apps installed. I do not run most of them ever but just having them installed sucks up the app memory.

So I deleted some I did not use and got to 20mb free if I do not have vznav installed. Or 16MB with it installed.

But the phone runs fine down to about 4 or 5 MB free. After that it starts hourglassing more often. If you let it go below 2 it will not have room to even run quickpull and you may have to do a real battery pull.

But forcing a quickpull at 20mb seems like a waste of the last 20 MB to me as you will never use it.
    12-28-09 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD