I really do not like how emoticons are automatically created when you type the symbols. I feel like many of them are misinterpreted and would rather see the text than the graphic. Is there any way to disable this?
    12-27-09 02:49 AM
    If you look in the user cp in optiond ther is normally an option - if not you can get a mod/admin to change ure image perms

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-09 03:06 AM
    I was referring to the blackberry. In regards to sending txt messages.
    12-28-09 03:54 AM
    hey id like to know how do u send emoticons...
    can you help me with that
    12-28-09 07:16 AM
    As long as you have OS 5.0 i believe you should be able to automatically. Idk i just got the new curve for christmas and it came with them but i really dont like some of the emoticons they use and would much rather have them disabled.

The main reason i want to disable these is because the auto smiley for ":/" is just plain stupid and is not a valid representation of the emoticon. Also if you look at the bottom of the smiley list it seems as if some ***** switched up the "Straight Face" and "Whew!" If i found myself relived I do not thing i would find myself placing the ":|" emoticon as it seems to represent a state of displacement as with the ":/" emoticon (which is displayed as a confused face).

If there are ways to add more emoticons to the phone there must be a way to disable them, or at least "fix" them.
    Last edited by ablizno; 12-29-09 at 01:02 PM.
    12-29-09 06:13 AM
    I agree, I really don't like having the emoticons automatically inserted. Is there a way to disable that?
    01-05-10 10:44 PM
    Same here. I use :/ quite a bit when discussing computer drives and hate when it automatically puts in an emoticon. Any solution out there?
    01-11-10 12:37 AM
    The biggest annoyance emoticons is that they really only work right if the receiver has them too (like another curve) when I use 80% of them with my wife she just gets the text version (which is what the OP actually wants

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-10 06:43 PM
    has anyone figured out a way to disable emoticons? i really do not like them.. especially because of the ":/" we can't even use "=/" because it gets replaced by the same thing!!
    03-02-10 02:25 PM
    I totally agree I dont see an option anywhere to disable them. You would think, since the main purpose of a blackberry is for buisness that you would be able to disable them as you please. I often get smileys instead of the actual text that I need. It's very annoying.
    06-02-10 12:37 PM
    I would like to know how to do this as well. I tried to disable auto text in my SMS options but it did not work. I don't think my foremen like smiley faces in their texts!!
    06-02-10 01:27 PM
    Yes, if anyone figures this out I would love to know!! This is just one of a few things that is making me consider returning my phone... and I need it for when I travel!!
    06-05-10 03:24 AM
    I totally agree I dont see an option anywhere to disable them. You would think, since the main purpose of a blackberry is for buisness that you would be able to disable them as you please. I often get smileys instead of the actual text that I need. It's very annoying.
    Most business people don't include emoticons in their email or texts so that really doesn't apply. Virtually every business I have ever been associated with would consider it unprofessional for someone to send them any correspondence that included them. So if you don't use them, why do you need to disable them? Also, as was stated before, they only show up if you send them to another BB running the 5.0.
    06-05-10 08:34 PM
    I think that some of the posts are not getting the point.
    When I receive a text, if there is a colon in the text, then an emoticon gets inserted automatically. I don't want that. Is there a way to disable that?
    08-09-10 08:11 AM
    Most business people don't include emoticons in their email or texts so that really doesn't apply. Virtually every business I have ever been associated with would consider it unprofessional for someone to send them any correspondence that included them. So if you don't use them, why do you need to disable them? Also, as was stated before, they only show up if you send them to another BB running the 5.0.
    You seem to be missing the point. Emoticons come up when the predefined keystrokes are entered. Sometimes, these keystrokes are valid combinations of keys that I would otherwise want to use. For example, whenever I try to send an SMS with an enumerated list (a), (b), (c), etc., the (b) always comes up as a smiley face with sunglasses (even if I type an extra space before or after the parenthesis). Other emoticon keystrokes that pose similar problems are =D and anything involving a colon (which some people actually still use to punctuate sentences with).
    02-14-11 12:19 PM
    You just responded to a post that's over 8 months old. What the .... ?
    02-14-11 05:17 PM
    Understandable, don't you think, considering it is a persistent issue which has yet to be remedied?

As a business user of Blackberry [Bold 9700], I sometimes use my projector with my hand-held during presentations with clients and prospective clients. If I need to show these people feedback [which is often in the form of texts and emails] I will not want equations or notations - such as "B+C=D" or "model (y)" - being transformed into a childish image.

The ability to switch off the transformation would be fantastic. The option of complete removal of them from a business phone would be ideal.

People are still replying to threads like this because we live in hope that either a[n awesome] user or RIM will finally help folk attempting to look respectable, come closer.
    03-19-11 02:14 PM
    It's good to know that I'm not the only one with this issue. Today I experienced the ridiculous ":/" face and it is definitely annoying. It's like making a grilled cheese sandwich, only to find that it's turned into PB&J.
    04-06-11 11:10 PM
    I know this post is several years old now, but as of 2016 (almost 2017), I'm plagued with this issue as well. Using Blackberry 10 (I have a BB Classic) there's STILL no way to disable emoticons. I keep trying to send a text referencing a computer drive (C:\Users\...) and it keeps changing the "C:" to an emoticon.

EXTREMELY frustrating that many years later people are still plagued with this issue. Argh!!!!
    10-02-16 02:46 PM
    Just put extra spaces...

also if you're sending it to someone on iOS or Android, they won't see the emoticon, it will come out alright
    10-02-16 03:08 PM
    Wow, I don't even remember signing up for this website. My friend, it is time to make the switch to Android. I'm sorry, but the only thing you won't have is physical buttons. Frankly, the world of technology is forcing us all to get over it. Plus, android phones are just generally better phones.
    10-02-16 03:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD