I have had my Curve 8330 for 13 months now. It has not been dropped, gotten wet or been damaged in any way (that I am aware of and I am the only user in a single person household). My keypad has stopped taking inputs. I can press any buttons all day long and nothing happens. The trackball scrolls, but will not select anything if pressed. I have taken the battery out to reboot it multiple times. I just updated the OS software to no avail. The backlight on the keypad still works. I can't even answer incoming calls. The ***** at Verizon was no help and tried to sell me a new phone. I have read a couple of threads on locking the keypad (which it isn't locked to my knowledge) and I've tried a couple of the tricks, also to no avail.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Sageblade; 12-26-09 at 08:33 PM.
    12-26-09 07:20 PM
    Sounds like moisture damage.

Has the device been exposed to ANY moisture at all? Even a little bit?

Sweaty pocket, wet hands, wet hair, steamy bathroom, high humidity environment? It doesn't take much.

And the device has a 12 month warranty so complaining to (and about) Verizon isn't going to do you any good nor should you expect them to help you with a hardware issue beyond the warranty period.
    12-26-09 07:55 PM
    I guess I should rephrase: the guy at Verizon didn't even look at the phone and ignored my problem, simply opting to "try to make a deal" instead.

I move around alot in scrubs, as I work in the medical field, and the possibility of moisture from that could be presented. I just don't think it would be enough to warrant hardware damage.
    12-26-09 08:24 PM
    It only takes a little bit to cause a short in the contacts under the keypad.

And again, sales people are not hardware support staff and the device is out of warranty.

If you don't have insurance then you might look at other options. 1) A new phone and contract extension, 2) a used device from a local source or eBay or CrackBerry, 3) sometimes Verizon can offer refurbs at a lower cost than a new phone.
    12-26-09 08:59 PM
    If that's the case, then why buy an expensive phone like a Blackberry to begin with if you have a chance of messing it up just by carrying it in your pocket? That sounds a little wonky to me. Also, the rep could have at least LOOKED at the phone or given me some advice on how to contact support instead of just trying to sell me a new phone instead. He was aware that I did not want to buy a new one until my options were exhausted and could have had the professional tact to at least say, "Go to blackberry.com."
    12-26-09 09:09 PM
    Yep, only takes thinking about moisture to have the problems begin. Mine had been carried in a holster, set on my desk or every once in a while in the pocket of a pair of shorts. First the keys on the left side began to work intermittently or required more pressure, then it reached the point that only the track ball would scroll. No select, couldn't even answer the phone.

Sprint rep took it in the back and came out later with it working. Wife didn't ask what he did, but I'm guessing he did something to remove moisture in it. Worked for a few more months, then same thing again as far as not working. Moisture damage indicators in two places showed red. Replaced it under insurance.

Sprint corporate customer service advised that even having the phone in a bathroom while taking a shower can cause water damage.

Might want to try compressed air, some time in a sealed container with a desiccant to help remove any excess from inside the phone. If it works, good. If not, replace keyboard? replace phone? Good Luck
    12-26-09 11:59 PM
    If that's the case, then why buy an expensive phone like a Blackberry to begin with if you have a chance of messing it up just by carrying it in your pocket? That sounds a little wonky to me. Also, the rep could have at least LOOKED at the phone or given me some advice on how to contact support instead of just trying to sell me a new phone instead. He was aware that I did not want to buy a new one until my options were exhausted and could have had the professional tact to at least say, "Go to blackberry.com."
    It's typically not a good idea to carry a BlackBerry (particularly the Curve) in a pocket without a case as you have discovered.

And I'm not sure which part of "the device is out of warranty and neither the carrier nor RIM is obligated to provide hardware support for it" you are having difficultly understanding.
    12-27-09 07:47 AM
    No one has said anything about them being obligated to provide support. Where you fail to grasp my meaning is the "customer service" part. I am the customer, which means even if I am wrong, you still try to help. I was not asking for a free phone, only how to contact someone about exhausting my options before I bought a new phone.

What part of that do you not understand? No need to be rude about it.

I do appreciate the posts giving me more insight into my problem. That is all I wanted to know. I went ahead and ordered a new Curve 8330, as they are on sale for $29.99 on the Verizon website if you order online. I hate getting a new one, but I think you are right regarding the moisture damage. I left my phone in a dry area where it would benefit from my household heating unit without getting too warm and some of the keys are working...but some are still messed up. It looks like getting a new phone probably will be my best option, so I've done that.

You were talking about a case to assist in moisture reduction. What do you suggest, since my phone stays in my pocket often.
    12-27-09 11:59 AM
    Any kind of case that covers the keys would work most likely. Your Curve should have come with a slip case.

I personally like this case because it doesn't have a clip so it slides in a pocket smoothly. https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=M08bQXde

Here's another one. https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=Hbqjb0yk

If you are going to be constantly in moist conditions, you might look at the Otterbox Defender Case.

PS. I wasn't being rude. I was just trying to point out that the carrier isn't going to provide any hardware support for a device that is out of warranty. They aren't going to point you to to RIM because RIM wouldn't help you even if the device was still in warranty because the carriers provide that service. You would have had to pay $49 minimum just to talk to RIM.
    12-27-09 12:30 PM
    The Otterbox looks good, but if any moisture did get under the cover, it looks like it would be double the trouble. I may just have to start keeping it somewhere and not in my pocket. I didn't think they were that sensitive to the elements.
    12-27-09 01:25 PM
    This same thing has happened to my phone at least 5 times... I've convinced sprint that it is a software problem because the buttons work when my alarm goes off to silent it but thats it. Same thing though with the trackball rolling and such. I have noticed that everytime it does it, it has been in my pocket when i do something that involves moisture such as being around steam, possibly sweating, and such. I'm convinced that it is a hardware problem but you may be able to swing software problem if you have phone insurance.
    12-27-09 10:48 PM
    So you are advising that FRAUD is a good avenue to pursue? Nice.
    12-28-09 05:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD