I have a new Blackberry Tour 9630 equipped with v4.7.1.40 software and a 16 GB micro SD card. Reading files from the card is extremely slow. I first noticed this with video playback (extremely jerky and freezes) and actually replaced my first 9630 a few days after purchasing it.

I eventually gave up on video playback but now have very recently been using Media Manager to upload files (.jpgs) from the 16 GB micro SD card Media Card to my laptop. The bottom line is it is taking 10-15 minutes to upload 13 .jpg's (total 6.7 MB) and it is a major inconvenience.

Some of the trouble shooting steps I have taken:

- moved same 13 files to main memory on Blackberry then uploaded to pc in 10 seconds

- moved micro SD card to my son's Samsung phone - uploaded the 13 .jpg's from it to laptop in 10 seconds (so the memory card is good)

- installed Desktop Manager and Media Manager on my desktop pc and connected blackberry to it - same poor upload behaviour from files on micro CD equipped on the 9630

- checked on blackberry Doc ID: KB05461 at View Document and it states:
    BlackBerry Device Software version Media card size limit
    BlackBerry Device Software version 4.5.0.81 Up to 16 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software version 4.6.0 and later Up to 32 GB
    so I should be equipped with the proper software vintage.

I am not sure what to do next and would appreciate any and all assistance/idea's etc.

Thx,

Gerry
    12-25-09 03:47 PM
    The fastest way to get larger files to the card is to add a card reader to your computer. My computer also has on occasion actually TOLD ME, that another usb port on the computer is faster - not sure the criteria but maybe try another usb port. Also, to go manage devices in control panel and make sure that you usb port is NOT powering down (some do to save power).

Also, the first time you try reading/accessing new stuff on an sd card, the BB takes its sweet time indexing the cards media files. Add new, and it may take additional time.

I have 8 gigs and I've watched video without problems. Also make sure that they are in the correct format (that I can't define)

And finally, I know cards have a certain speed - most are interested in WRITE speed (to save photos and especially video) but their read-speed can potentially affect playback.
    12-25-09 04:07 PM
    I don't know if this affects both reads and writes but all SD cards have Class ratings.. 2, 4, or 6 currently.. with 6 being the fastest... a 16 gig Class 6 runs about $50 at Micro Center. Faster class could solve your problem.
    12-25-09 08:27 PM
    I don't know if this affects both reads and writes but all SD cards have Class ratings.. 2, 4, or 6 currently.. with 6 being the fastest... a 16 gig Class 6 runs about $50 at Micro Center. Faster class could solve your problem.
    What brands do they have at Micro Center? I may have to swing over there and get one.
    12-25-09 08:29 PM
    It is interesting because when I've looked at some sites and card spec's, I don't always find the CLASS identified. This may be purposeful, especially, if they are not Class 6. Even on the Sandisk site, I could not find the Class of their 16gig unless I missed it.
    12-25-09 11:02 PM
    I have a 16 GB class 6 card for months and I haven't had any issue with reading lags. My movies and music plays smoothly.
    12-26-09 12:12 AM
    1) I have had always had luck with Transcend media. I was skeptical at first, but Sandisk's microSDHCs are mostly class 2, and can be pricy.
    I currently have an 8gb, class 6 Transcend card ($16 via Newegg). Perhaps it's just a placebo effect, but I do feel that the BB indexes changes faster and my thumbnails pop up more quickly. I'm sure my BlackBerry is not utilizing the full class 6 potential, but it certainly seems faster than the 2gb class 2 the device shipped with.

2) If you don't mind losing everything on the card right now, you can try formatting it from the BlackBerry directly and starting over.

3) Also, what bitrate (kbps) are your videos? Perhaps they're too rich for BB playback.
    12-26-09 10:30 PM
    The $50 ones at Micro Center are self-branded.. have Class 6 printed on them.. and the
    cards are actually made by Ricoh.

I was going to buy a more expensive card because I didn't see the Micro Center self-branded ones... turns out that you have to go to the register and ask for them.. they don't come in fancy packaging but do come with the SD card adapter.
    12-27-09 09:15 PM
    The OS's file system doesn't seem to handle large indexes very well.
    A work around may be deleting the associated .dat files if you notice a slow down.
    I could see mine beginning to slow down/lag when accessing the picture thumbnails.
    I tried deleting most of the .jpg's from my PC & rebooting.. access was still slow.
    Noticing the thumbs view was still displaying shots I'd deleted.. I poked around the files looking for the thumbs cache.
    They are stored in the BBThumbs.dat, mine was larger than the currently held files.
    After deleting the file and a reboot the OS rebuilt the .dat file & my access time has gone back to the way it was.
    12-28-09 04:24 AM
    The OS's file system doesn't seem to handle large indexes very well.
    A work around may be deleting the associated .dat files if you notice a slow down.
    I could see mine beginning to slow down/lag when accessing the picture thumbnails.
    I tried deleting most of the .jpg's from my PC & rebooting.. access was still slow.
    Noticing the thumbs view was still displaying shots I'd deleted.. I poked around the files looking for the thumbs cache.
    They are stored in the BBThumbs.dat, mine was larger than the currently held files.
    After deleting the file and a reboot the OS rebuilt the .dat file & my access time has gone back to the way it was.
    Good info, thanks!!

Dm
    12-28-09 12:03 PM
    Could someone explain the BBthumbs.dat file, how/where to find it, and how to clear it out?

Thanks
    01-30-10 01:22 PM
    Could someone explain the BBthumbs.dat file, how/where to find it, and how to clear it out?

Thanks
    They can be seen if you use Windows' Explorer and go to any folders that have media files, like picture or music folders. In Explorer, you need it set to show hidden and/or system files and all file extensions.
    01-30-10 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD