Hi there. I recently got a new blackberry curve for a very good deal. the guy who was selling it on a car boot sale, told me its a blacklisted/stolen item. I didnt care much and thought i got myself a bargain. Later i came to know i could be caught for using it and they could track my details and all that using imei ? now i dont know what to do.. should i sell it to someone or not just use it or destroy it ? plz help ...thank you.
    12-24-09 04:49 AM
    Why would you buy a stolen phone from someone? Did your mom not raise you well? What you want to do is find the original owner and give it back to them!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-09 04:55 AM
    how do i find the original owner ? its a new fone and i didnt think much before buying, my bad
    12-24-09 05:05 AM
    Contact police , hand in the phone, and using the IMEI, they will find the owner and hand it to them
    12-24-09 05:07 AM
    Don't call the police, they can arrest you if you did call the police. Look in the bb and see the lost info. It's stored in there. Unless the phone is brand new from dealership then thats hard to do. I would sell it thru craiglists. Best way to go.

In the past, I bought the phone from ebay and it was hot item, I knew who the original owner was and the phone was indeed stolen. Even the owner appreciated it that I return it, police told the owner they can investigate and can place me under arrest for stolen phone, don't ask me why but they can do that.
    12-24-09 07:18 AM
    No, you're wrong. or maybe the legislation is different in your country, but here they can't arrest you for something like that
    12-24-09 07:21 AM
    Why would you buy a stolen phone from someone? Did your mom not raise you well? What you want to do is find the original owner and give it back to them!
    Lol ! I agree, anything stolen isn't worth your money, purchasing it only further creates a demand and encourages more people to steal. And as they say, what goes around comes around.
    12-24-09 07:23 AM
    Oh yes, they can, if you are in Canada, England and America, yes they can. In other countries, see if you landed in jail or not. If you do, blame it on total abuser.
    12-24-09 07:26 AM
    Lol ! I agree, anything stolen isn't worth your money, purchasing it only further creates a demand and encourages more people to steal. And as they say, what goes around comes around.
    I agreed.
    12-24-09 07:26 AM
    right, and i could see the over stressed system arresting the guy that came in to return an item that was stolen. (add proper amount of sarcasm in case you missed it.) Return it to the police, let them know that you bought the device, and who from, and didnt realize that it was black listed, and that you want to return it. They wont arrest you, what a bunch of horse cr@p.
    12-24-09 07:34 AM
    Guys, are you all gangsters, or what ? That's the right thing to do. If you explain that you couldn't have possibly stolen it, just bought it unknowing it was stolen, you won't risk anything. I repeat, at least not in my country. And, I have a disclaimer about what happens to your phone, now I have to write a disclaimer about people going to jail Don't do anything I say, ok ? I'm just expressing my opinion. if I'm wrong and naive, so be it, but stop picking uselessly on me and try to figure out a solution to help this guy out
    12-24-09 07:39 AM
    In the U.s. you can and most likely will be prosecuted fro knowingly purchasing stolen goods. Now If you "unknowingly" purchased it as total abuser mentioned. They probably would not press charges because you "didnt know". Unless they track the guy who sold it too you and he said that guy knew it was stolen he said i dont give a f*** and bought it anyway.. then they may or may not try to follow up on it.. all depends on on 1000's of factors. So there is no way to know for sure..

Best thing just drop it off att he police station say you found it.

And yes Please dont buy stolen goods. Again as mentioned above it creates a demand and a reason for people to steal them... If nobody bought stolen goods... nobody would steal them. And we could all be happy.

Do the right thing.> Turn it in...
    12-24-09 09:49 AM
    using a stolen phone = bad idea

telling everyone about it on a public forum = really bad idea

getting busted for receiving a stolen phone because you blabbed about it on crackberry = priceless
    12-24-09 10:11 AM
    In the U.s. you can and most likely will be prosecuted fro knowingly purchasing stolen goods. Now If you "unknowingly" purchased it as total abuser mentioned. They probably would not press charges because you "didnt know". Unless they track the guy who sold it too you and he said that guy knew it was stolen he said i dont give a f*** and bought it anyway.. then they may or may not try to follow up on it.. all depends on on 1000's of factors. So there is no way to know for sure..

Best thing just drop it off att he police station say you found it.

And yes Please dont buy stolen goods. Again as mentioned above it creates a demand and a reason for people to steal them... If nobody bought stolen goods... nobody would steal them. And we could all be happy.

Do the right thing.> Turn it in...
    Mankow5, I couldn't say anything better than that, I totally agreed.
    12-24-09 10:32 AM
    this is the most stupid thing I have ever read on a forum... dude turn the phone into the police..
    12-26-09 11:46 PM
    yea this is the dumbest thread ever.

1.) first off, i cant believe you bought stuff from a "boot sale" and thought you were getting a bargain.

2.) i cant believe you were informed it was a blacklisted/stolen phone and just shrugged your shoulders and bought it anyways.

3.) i cant believe you arent smart enough to figure out on your own what to do with said phone. resell it? destroy it? are you ********? if i were you i would call the carrier and tell them you found it in the street and would like to return it to its owner. or, you turn it in to a local carrier store and they will see the owner gets it.

you sir, are stupid.
    12-27-09 12:07 AM
    be a Good Samaritan and hand the phone over to the police. Fair and Square.
    12-27-09 09:10 PM
    If your phone is GSM, why dont you can only put a sim card in it and use it as that?
    12-27-09 09:15 PM
    If you use the phone the original owner can send a signal to have it explode in your face. :-)
    12-27-09 11:19 PM
    If it was you.... wouldn't you want your phone back? Ide say do what you can and return it to the owner. Looks like you may take a hit to the cheque book though....
    12-27-09 11:34 PM
    this is the most stupid thing I have ever read on a forum... dude turn the phone into the police..
    and with two shakes of my magic wand... *POOF* the phone has turned into the police... lol

Well, this seems to be a strange topic indeed... To go over to the dark side or over to the light side (or something like that).

I say sell it! Get rid of it while making a profit, or atleast sell it for the same price you bought it for. You have already become a criminal by knowingly purchasing stolen goods, so now just sell it on! Theres a reason why stolen goods are called hot property, its because they bounce from one persons hands to another. So just let it bounce right out of your hands and into someone elses.
    12-29-09 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD