Go to Options/Mobile Network and hit Menu/Tools, Ping. Ping an IP on the web or a name (Yahoo! would work). If you get replies (which you will), carrier TCP/IP traffic and Internet gateway works fine.

This is MOST DEFINITELY a RIM data outage people, don't try to bend the truth.
    12-22-09 10:41 PM
    Yes; it's certainly a BIS/RIM-side outage as it is being reported even on multiple news outlets (tv, radio, internet)..not to mention that your steps show this too.

The occassional network downtime for RIM-side (or even carrier-side) upgrades should/can be tolerable...but something on the scale and longevity as what is happening today?? No it shouldn't be..this is unacceptable (regardless of whether one is more of a consumer-side or business-side user). What the h*ll RIM?!
    12-22-09 10:46 PM
    It's certainly weird... their network isn't due for a total crash until 2012.
    12-22-09 10:49 PM
    Go to Options/Mobile Network and hit Menu/Tools, Ping. Ping an IP on the web or a name (Yahoo! would work). If you get replies (which you will), carrier TCP/IP traffic and Internet gateway works fine.

This is MOST DEFINITELY a RIM data outage people, don't try to bend the truth.
    Well said Civic...
    Last edited by Iceman; 12-22-09 at 10:53 PM.
    12-22-09 10:50 PM
    i already figured this since ive been able to navigate the web via my medianet browser and Bolt/Opera Mini.
    12-22-09 10:51 PM
    It's certainly weird... their network isn't due for a total crash until 2012.
    I don't know how long this outgae is going to last (but this SUCKS big time for work tomorrow considering there's a lot of important, last minute stuff that needs to be knocked out before everyone hauls their butts out of dodge for the holidays)

This isn't good timing (I would think) for RIM and service providers either; as many people purchase and activate BBs given as presents and such during this holiday season. I'm seriously getting irked by these ever-so persistent and re-occuring outages..but this one takes the cake for sure (I've never experienced an outage like this one).
    12-22-09 10:54 PM
    i already figured this since ive been able to navigate the web via my medianet browser and Bolt/Opera Mini.
    You're preaching to the choir here. Some people out there started posting that the carriers were to blame for this as well. Had to prove them wrong.
    12-22-09 11:03 PM
    I don't know how long this outgae is going to last (but this SUCKS big time for work tomorrow considering there's a lot of important, last minute stuff that needs to be knocked out before everyone hauls their butts out of dodge for the holidays)

This isn't good timing (I would think) for RIM and service providers either; as many people purchase and activate BBs given as presents and such during this holiday season. I'm seriously getting irked by these ever-so persistent and re-occuring outages..but this one takes the cake for sure (I've never experienced an outage like this one).
    I'm asking Santa for a 72+ hour blackout.
    12-22-09 11:04 PM
    Verizon trouble here. Opera Mini 5 not working for the last 2 hours. 1XEV dropped to 1xev. Ping sender resolves DNS names but all ping tests send 0 packets. All apps I have that are capable of bypassing RIM and going straight-to-carrier for data are failing (PodTrapper the most notable because i can manually configure which sources I want to allow it to connect to for data downloads). Also, RDM+ which goes straight to RDM's servers for remote PC control is failing.

So I hate to be so contrary but Verizon DOES have a problem in Fort Worth TX.
    12-22-09 11:08 PM
    Please. No. I've actually been nice this year...I don't want to be shafted by jolly 'ol St. Nick even during the year the prince has been sans naughty. I mean afterall; the guy only drops in once a year (I actually wish some of my relatives practiced that )
    12-22-09 11:15 PM
    lol, if this lasts all of tomorrow too, it'll bring memories of when RIM was ordered by the courts to shut down BB data a few years back. You guys remember those days?
    12-22-09 11:18 PM
    my phone just went from edge to EDGE but still nothing. my speed test app is now working and connected to the network, before it wasnt. browser and BBM still isnt working though
    Last edited by dictoresno; 12-22-09 at 11:26 PM.
    12-22-09 11:23 PM
    thats f'd up man i need this phone, its my own personal assitant
    12-22-09 11:24 PM
    Verizon trouble here. Opera Mini 5 not working for the last 2 hours. 1XEV dropped to 1xev. Ping sender resolves DNS names but all ping tests send 0 packets. All apps I have that are capable of bypassing RIM and going straight-to-carrier for data are failing (PodTrapper the most notable because i can manually configure which sources I want to allow it to connect to for data downloads). Also, RDM+ which goes straight to RDM's servers for remote PC control is failing.

So I hate to be so contrary but Verizon DOES have a problem in Fort Worth TX.
    Running .419? I had the same issue twice tonight, but a reset brought it back. I figured it was either related to the BIS outage or Verizon was having it's own problems in Denver.

I wondered if it was the OS, but I can't verify that with all the other crap going on.
    12-22-09 11:36 PM
    Just checked my phone at midnight and amazingly I've got 1XEV service showing from Verizon and Opera Mini, etc are all working again. I think maybe Verizon just got saturated for a while there in my area. I took no action to on my Storm to make this happen. A battery pull earlier didn't resolve the issue.
    12-23-09 12:08 AM
    Jus ran a diagnostic on my phone and its saying i have no blackberry service what so ever even that my device is not registerd with blackberry
    12-23-09 12:19 AM
    Well for a while I had no internet, had WiFi up in a school for a bit. Downloaded the new BBM. Then lost everything. Was home for a while, wifi on...nothing. Changed to medianet for the browser, now it works....Still...wtf?
    12-23-09 12:25 AM
    Well for a while I had no internet, had WiFi up in a school for a bit. Downloaded the new BBM. Then lost everything. Was home for a while, wifi on...nothing. Changed to medianet for the browser, now it works....Still...wtf?
    Carrier WAP browsers work because they use the carrier's Internet gateway, not RIM's.
    12-23-09 12:35 AM
    You know how else we know it's a Blackberry only issue? Because Blackberry issued a press release stating that was the case.
    12-23-09 12:41 AM
    Ha ha.

Look up, guys, I haven't seen or had a single issue or problem. Internet, emails, BBM is working just fine for me!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 01:04 AM
    BB Storm 2.
    NO: Email, browser; can still send texts and use phone to talk. Did battery pull a couple times, but to no avail. Called Verizon customer service, and was told to do another battery pull and do a *228 when phone boots up. Again, nothing. Hope this won't be a week-long thing.
    12-23-09 01:23 AM
    I've been on IM+ for a while. Its a BIS outage like usual. Getting old.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 01:24 AM
    Just started getting msgs in and able to send. Let's hope it stays this way
    12-23-09 01:29 AM
    My BIS said it was connected.... but nothing was going through..

I was under the impression that it was RIM and not the carriers though, since other people all over the world on other carriers are having the same issues.
    12-23-09 01:32 AM
    Let's see RIM flex their muscles some more after they did it last week with their 3Q numbers. These outages are such a joke. I can't believe my iPhone which is working with a sim card on a BLACKBERRY DATA PLAN is more reliable than it being in a Blackberry.
    12-23-09 02:23 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD