Once receiving a new message, you get a yellow envelope along with a red star in the top right corner of the envelope to indicate a new message received.

On my old curve once going into the email/sms folder and looking at the message (not opening it), the red star would disappear and the envelope would stay to indicate that the message is not new anymore but still unread.

With my new 9700, the red star doesn't go away....

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!!
    12-22-09 10:08 AM
    ok I just got a second email and when acknowledging it by looking at it in the email list, the red star went away.

So I guess it only occurs when there is a single new message only, once more appear it is fine?!?
    12-22-09 10:12 AM
    mark that file opened and send it to yourself as a test and see if it does the same thing.
    12-22-09 10:14 AM
    ok now I received an sms msg and the red star indicator came back. I read the text message, and the count went down for the envelopes (new messages) but the red star stayed!!!

So even though before receiving the text there was no red star, I received the text, red star appeared, and I read and deleted the text, but the red star remained

HELP!
    12-22-09 10:48 AM
    The red star on the icon at the bottom appears and disappears correctly.

Is this just the norm now? That the red star stays on the yellow envelope on the top whether it is new and unread or not new and unread??
    12-22-09 12:27 PM
    Red star means new. If you open the folder that the message is in, the red star will disappear, but the envelope will remain. If you open the message, the envelope will disappear.

I'm not sure, but the red star may be remaining if your 'Messages' folder also has the message stored. I dunno.
    12-22-09 03:13 PM
    hmm interesting I didn't notice this until you said something seeing as I just read the message anyway
    12-22-09 03:15 PM
    Could the new message indicator possibly be for a folder that might be hidden in your menu? that happened with me when i first got my 9700, the "new message indicator" wouldnt disappear, then i found out it was from a folder that i recently hid.
    12-23-09 02:35 AM
    Could the new message indicator possibly be for a folder that might be hidden in your menu? that happened with me when i first got my 9700, the "new message indicator" wouldnt disappear, then i found out it was from a folder that i recently hid.

Yes, I agree.. that happened to me too... I hid a lot of folders that I dont use, and it didnt appear under the SMS/TEXT folder or my email folder....but it appeared under a hidden folder called Messages. It was from Blackberry Reg.
    12-23-09 02:49 AM
    I had that happen when I hid the visual voicemail folder. Bummer since I either go into the folder or stare at the red flashing light all day!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 03:09 AM
    I don't believe I have anything hidden...I clicked 'show all' so that even the hidden folders are shown, but there's nothing there indicating a new message :S
    12-23-09 01:19 PM
    Could it be that this is the new message indicator now? Or am I the only one getting the red star constantly appear?
    12-23-09 01:20 PM
    Just went into the messages folder
    --> Menu
    --> View folder

and went to every single folder listed there. The red star still remains....
    12-23-09 01:24 PM
    I think it's a bug in the software. I have the same problem and I've noticed that it'll disappear after I open the message folder back up.
    12-23-09 01:26 PM
    piece of shieeett.....where do we report this so that they fix it in the next software update/release?
    12-23-09 01:39 PM
    It is a bug that came with the last official update , as I can see...

You have to open the sms, and scroll up on it with the marker and the star goes away. It is not enough to only open and read and maybe answer.... you need to scroll up on it....

If you just read amd maye answer the red star will remain, although there will be no envelope showing that you have a new sms... BUt if you open and scroll over the message with the marker, the red dot goes away.

HATE IT!!!!!
    12-23-09 02:14 PM
    i had the same on my Storm 2, so as above, went into the menu highlighted sms and mms, press blackberry button and click show all, the message appears there, it was a welcome message from BB after installing an app,(i installed BB messenger) happydays!
    01-20-10 03:25 AM
    I've tried all of the above and the message notification is still there. I think my text message database is corrupt or something, because I've purged all of my SMS and MMS messages. When I combine the boxes, Messages, which had no unread count now does. How do I purge the database or clear the flag without hard resetting the device?

Blackberry Storm running OS 5.0.0.328
    Last edited by mpeters13; 01-20-10 at 08:55 PM.
    01-20-10 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD