Has anyone figured out how to get rid of Bing, or at least get Google back and set as default search engine?

I am tired of having to enter google.com in the address bar.

I WILL NOT USE BING! its horrible!
    12-21-09 09:43 AM
    I tried using Bing this morning and I couldn't. The only fix right now is to either bookmark Google or set it as your homepage.
    12-21-09 09:59 AM
    I would love google too but... i think the only way is to bookmark it as ohembe said.
    12-21-09 10:06 AM
    There has to be a way to import a service book or something.
    12-21-09 10:13 AM
    Check out Quick Search with Google! You can find it at BlackBerry App World - Quick Search with Google

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-09 10:27 AM
    This looks like a really good app fix for The Bing Crisis.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/new...leased-389866/
    Last edited by Jascias; 12-21-09 at 12:09 PM.
    12-21-09 11:15 AM
    I just "hid" Bing and put Google on my Quick Launch.

Bob
    12-21-09 11:32 AM
    Just another reason to use opera mini
    12-21-09 11:41 AM
    I want some proof on this whole "BING SUCKS" claim. Search engines all work essentially the same, so the results are all going to be similar, it's just a matter of who displays the best information at the top of the search.

So far, I haven't seen anything that shows Google is any better at searching than Bing is.
    12-21-09 11:55 AM
    Just another reason to use opera mini
    Guess its about time I learn how to use opera better. Did not like when I first got the phone but with time I could probably get more used to it.

12-21-09 11:59 AM
    I want some proof on this whole "BING SUCKS" claim. Search engines all work essentially the same, so the results are all going to be similar, it's just a matter of who displays the best information at the top of the search.

So far, I haven't seen anything that shows Google is any better at searching than Bing is.
    Hmmmmmmmm..................Do a search on both for " How big is the sun?" Then compare. IMO Google stands out much better. Again this is my opinion. To each their own.
    12-21-09 12:00 PM
    Hmmmmmmmm..................Do a search on both for " How big is the sun?" Then compare. IMO Google stands out much better. Again this is my opinion. To each their own.
    That's a good example and what I was looking for, thanks.

Basic search results are really similar (I tried a few). However, that result was a bunch different, Google's top result was the actual answer, Bing just listed links.
    12-21-09 12:05 PM
    yeah bing is a pos.......doesn't really work well as a search engine...maybe they need to reexamine their algorithms
    12-21-09 12:49 PM
    You could also try installing the Google Mobile app. I did and like it a lot. It even has voice search. Puts the icon right on your menu screen.

12-21-09 01:06 PM
    I tried using Bing this morning and I couldn't. The only fix right now is to either bookmark Google or set it as your homepage.
    YA I just did that. But it BLOWS! I HATE the fact that I am being forced. I liked the way it was set up before.

I am actually uber pissed about this!
    12-21-09 01:09 PM
    YA I just did that. But it BLOWS! I HATE the fact that I am being forced. I liked the way it was set up before.

I also set Google as my homepage and it works out
    12-21-09 01:20 PM
    Ok, I don't understand where you are finding Bing as your default. When I open my browser I still have Google as the default and next to the search box there is another box with an arrow and there I can select Live Search, Wikipedia and dictionary.com. I am on .320 also.
    12-21-09 01:25 PM
    ok I guess I spoke too soon now. Just downloaded the most current version of BBM and after the reboot I open the browser and sure enough there it is, BING is now the search engine and no way to change it. Man that sucks!
    12-21-09 01:36 PM

I would suggest contacting your State's Attorney General office and file a consumer complaint.

Verizon took away functionality that you had when you purchased your phone and did not notify you, or get your consent to do so.

Attorney General's offices live for this kind of stuff.

If everyone who is pissed about it files a complaint and you can get the AG's office from 50 states all looking into it, I think you can probably get your choice back.

This is a "material change" to your service and I would think you should also be able to cancel your contract without paying an ETF should you wish to do so.
    12-21-09 02:09 PM
    You could also try installing the Google Mobile app. I did and like it a lot. It even has voice search. Puts the icon right on your menu screen.

I can't seem to get that app... How did you get it?
    12-21-09 02:51 PM
    I would suggest contacting your State's Attorney General office and file a consumer complaint.

Verizon took away functionality that you had when you purchased your phone and did not notify you, or get your consent to do so.

Attorney General's offices live for this kind of stuff.

If everyone who is pissed about it files a complaint and you can get the AG's office from 50 states all looking into it, I think you can probably get your choice back.

This is a "material change" to your service and I would think you should also be able to cancel your contract without paying an ETF should you wish to do so.
    The only catch is if changes like this are written into the contract you signed. I don't know if they are, and a quick scan of the below link doesn't have anything that says it's ok... so...

Customer Agreement
    12-21-09 03:03 PM

Sorry but different search engines use different heuristics.
    The results may be similar but definitely not the same.
    Yahoo and Google will give very different when sometimes given the same search criteria.

One search engine != another.
    12-21-09 03:07 PM
    Use Opera Mini Opera Beta 2. Google is the standard
    12-21-09 06:11 PM
    This looks like a really good app fix for The Bing Crisis.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/new...leased-389866/
    +1 For SearchIt!
    12-21-09 06:17 PM
    Sorry but different search engines use different heuristics.
    The results may be similar but definitely not the same.
    Yahoo and Google will give very different when sometimes given the same search criteria.

One search engine != another.
    I know, the way they work is similar, how they search for and rank their content is where the differences are.

ALL search engines spider sites, the basic functionality is the same, which is what o was referring to.

12-21-09 06:19 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD