Just got done watching an episode of CSI NY and they were having a video chat on their cell phone to a home computer. It wasn't a Blackberry they were using but I was just wondering if this is possible on the 9700.
    12-20-09 10:15 PM
    well considering that the camera is on the back, and the screen is on the front, i don't even see how it's possible. in any case, no.

if you're going to hook it up through a computer you may as well use skype.

also, about 80% of the stuff on CSI, and all other medical and crime dramas out there are pretty much not realistic =P
    12-20-09 10:17 PM
    well considering that the camera is on the back, and the screen is on the front, i don't even see how it's possible. in any case, no.

if you're going to hook it up through a computer you may as well use skype.

also, about 80% of the stuff on CSI, and all other medical and crime dramas out there are pretty much not realistic =P
    Im an ***** one to many beers tonight. Of course you can't the camera is on the back duh. Thanks for the reply.
    12-20-09 10:22 PM
    Internet isn't fast enough to handle that type of data. Once we get 4G, I'm sure you'll start seeing more phones with video conferencing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-09 10:25 PM
    i have 2 nokia n95's, admittedly they dont get used any more, but i could video call between them.
    12-20-09 10:43 PM
    you alla re wrong there is qik which allows video streaming to the internet but its not yet available for the 9700 its available on the bold 9000 and a few of the curve devices
    12-20-09 10:45 PM
    you alla re wrong there is qik which allows video streaming to the internet but its not yet available for the 9700 its available on the bold 9000 and a few of the curve devices
    how am i wrong in that with the camera being on the back, and the screen on the front, you can't video chat? unless of course you stand in front of a mirror.
    12-20-09 10:47 PM
    Based on what I've seen, US carriers don't permit video cameras on the front. Many phone manufacturers like HTC and Nokia have to make modified American versions particularly for this reason.

Also interesting is the fact that foreign carriers permit people to use front facing cameras for video chats. Yet virtually all of them have 2G or 3G so its not really a technology specific issue.
    01-24-10 09:09 AM
    really??? never heard of that rule in the US. Wheres your info from?

Si
    01-24-10 09:19 AM
    I had never heard of such a rule but always wondered why video calling wasn't enabled in the US given that it has been around for a while in Europe.

Although I have to say, when I first had the SonyEricsson P990i, I made a couple of video calls but you get tired of it sooner than you might think.

The voice going through speaker phone (unless you're using headsets) isn't great and many times when you're talking to someone, you don't want them to see what you're doing like if you're trying to multitask

01-24-10 09:32 AM
    I would think that carrier bandwidth issues which are at times already overloaded, would crawl to a stop if video chat was being used by the masses
    01-24-10 09:49 AM
    My guess is that U.S. carriers don't want front camera's because video chatting would overload their systems and cause service problems. That is why they have made it a "rule" to not have front cameras on their phones. They pop a cork when we use more than our "allotted" amount of data already. I imagine video chatting would make that data use explode.
    01-24-10 12:57 PM
    I would not have any interest in video chatting on a phone. I do not even use the Webcam on my PC.
    01-24-10 01:10 PM
    My previous phone was the Samsung m610 flip phone which had the camere built into the hinge and it could be rotated either away or towards you, eg for taking self portraits so you could see what you are taking a picture of. As far as I know there was no way to make video calls on the phone (anyways it wasn't even 3G) but the physical design of the phone certainly would have allowed it. I'm in Canada btw but I'm pretty sure the phone was also available in the US. Also in Canada, I've seen ads for video calling on Rogers if you had a supported phone, although that was like a year or more ago so I don't know if they discontinued it.

01-24-10 08:18 PM
    yea alot of european carriers 3G networks and devices support it. my previous Sony Ericsson K850i had a seperate VGA camera on the front for video calling. however, US networks dont support it, as stated.
    01-24-10 10:06 PM
    I would not have any interest in video chatting on a phone. I do not even use the Webcam on my PC.
    Yes same hear

01-24-10 10:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD