I kind of what to switch to a BB, has anyone tried the new Curve and the Tour. Which one do you guys like better?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-09 08:32 PM
    Well I played with both at the Verizon store (same phone as the Sprint 8530), just different model number. I liked the Curve more than the Tour and it was smaller, had trackpad and wifi.

If I remember correctly, the Tour is around 149 after rebate, and the Curve was 49 after rebate. So I went with the 8530, I liked the camera on the Tour but did not want to spend an extra 100 dollars for the better camera.
    Last edited by raptor_01; 12-20-09 at 08:55 PM.
    12-20-09 08:49 PM
    dont forget screen resolution on the tour is better too

but if you want to compare basically advantages then

8530- trackpad, wifi, external media buttons

tour- better resolution camera and screen
    12-20-09 11:54 PM
    I had a pearl, and I loved it. But the trackball got frustrating. I have a TOUR and I currently am thinking of changing and getting the BOLD. I like the Tour and its features, but I will want to keep my phone for more than a few months and the BOLD has the optical mouse and looks like there will be replacements JUST IN CASE it isn't all CRACKED up to be. Thanks Crackberry.
    12-22-09 08:00 AM
    Well, I guess the 8530 is a pretty logical choice I really like the Curves, and perhaps the Bold's. I can't stand the Tours and the Pearl flips
    12-22-09 09:41 AM
    what is wrong with the Tour??
    I agree! The Curve 2 just seems too cheaply made to me. The Curve's I've used just seem so fake (not the ones in the store either), the phone squeaks, and I feel that it would explode after a few too many drops. The Tour is so much easier to type on, the Curve's keyboard moves around and it just feels so cramped.

I have no problem with a lower resolution camera, but no flash, come on RIM. The Curve isn't a world phone, being without my Blackberry when I leave the country, or just wanting to use on another carrier, is a deal breaker for me. I like to watch movies (which already kind of sucks on a tiny screen) so the low resolultion screen makes the viewing expirence worse.

I also don't get why they put the media buttons on the top of the phone. I don't like the lack of a lock button on the top of the Curve. The mute button (Storm, Bold 2, Tour) acts as a play/pause and the volume keys will switch songs by holding the buttons down. So the Curve 2 just added buttons for no purpose. With the phone in your pocket you can easily find the mute button (Tour) to pause, and the volume buttons are right below the headphone jack. I just don't get the use of media specfic buttons on the Curve.

The only thing the Curve has on the Tour is Wifi. Some will say the trackpad too, but I like the trackball much better. The pad just seems difficult to use, (Brickbreaker is harder to play is one example). The trackball is just simple, easy to use, easy to clean if it gives you troubles, and is cheap to replace if it does stop working. I realize that all BB's will now have a trackpad though, so it's just something I'll need to get used to.

And last but not least, no charging pod! It's nice to just drop your phone on the pod to charge when you go to sleep. The clock lights up, and you have a great alarm clock. It also prolongs the life of the usb port, which will go bad. The convenience is great, why did RIM leave this out too?

I will check out the the Tour 2 when that finally gets released. That will be the best CDMA Blackberry.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 12-22-09 at 02:52 PM.
    12-22-09 12:52 PM
    I agree! The Curve 2 just seems too cheaply made to me. The Curve's I've used just seem so fake (not the ones in the store either), the phone squeaks, and I feel that it would explode after a few too many drops. The Tour is so much easier to type on, the Curve's keyboard moves around and it just feels so cramped.

I have no problem with a lower resolution camera, but no flash, come on RIM. The Curve isn't a world phone, being without my Blackberry when I leave the country, or just wanting to use on another carrier, is a deal breaker for me. I like to watch movies (which already kind of sucks on a tiny screen) so the low resolultion screen makes the viewing expirence worse.

The only thing the Curve has on the Tour is Wifi. Some will say the trackpad too, but I like the trackball much better. The pad just seems difficult to use, (Brickbreaker is harder to play is one example). The trackball is just simple, easy to use, easy to clean if it gives you troubles, and is cheap to replace if it does stop working. I realize that all BB's will now have a trackpad though, so it's just something I'll need to get used to.

And last but not least, no charging pod! It's nice to just drop your phone on the pod to charge when you go to sleep. The clock lights up, and you have a great alarm clock. It also prolongs the life of the usb port, which will go bad. The convenience is great, why did RIM leave this out too?

I will check out the the Tour 2 when that finally gets released. That will be the best CDMA Blackberry.
    I checked out the 8530 today, like you I have no reason why but I like trackball better than the trackpad, the trackpad was too sensitive for me (maybe it had sensitively up but oh well). But the 8530 does feels really cheap compared to the Tour, but that is probably because the 8530 is an entry level BB. Does Tour have OS 5.0 yet?
    12-22-09 02:52 PM
    I like trackball better than the trackpad, the trackpad was too sensitive for me (maybe it had sensitively up but oh well). ?
    That probably was the case. Mine was really sensitive when I got it, just turned it down a couple and it's perfect! Trackpad >>>> Trackball

12-22-09 06:17 PM
    That probably was the case. Mine was really sensitive when I got it, just turned it down a couple and it's perfect! Trackpad >>>> Trackball

Can dirt or dust get under the sides of the trackpad? I didn't examine it close enough.
    12-22-09 11:55 PM
    Can dirt or dust get under the sides of the trackpad? I didn't examine it close enough.
    maybe a little dust....but its not gonna be like the track ball where anything that gets on it eventually gets inside as you roll away
    12-23-09 01:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD