As of right now i have the so called "VU" for att but i am currently using my Nokia N97.

If i switched over to the a AT&T branded 9700 then would they start charging me for Blackberrys data plan? What if i used a T-mo branded one
    12-19-09 10:07 AM
    Not sure if they will but I think they have a right to do so!

A Blackberry without a plan is a waste.
    12-19-09 10:14 AM
    Doesn't Matter...Any Blackberry Requires the 30.00 Data Plan

That Plan connects you to RIM's Private Secure Server and Enables your Phone to act as it was built.

Sorry man....

You want to Sell the N97? I'm game.....
    12-19-09 10:15 AM
    If you don't get a Blackberry Data Plan, not everything will work... and if you use a T-Mobile 9700 your 3G WILL NOT WORK!!!!

A lot of apps including email will not work if you don't have a Blackberry Data Plan.
    12-19-09 10:17 AM
    At&t wrote it in the contract awhile back that if you have a smartphone they can and will add it to your plan.
    12-19-09 10:20 AM
    I do not need the email and all the extras. i only use my n97 for texting and music and i use any data i need off wifi.

the data plan justifies nothing for me

also, arent i able to do all the things the data plan offers but just with wifi?
    Last edited by rsx19; 12-19-09 at 10:38 AM.
    12-19-09 10:34 AM
    I heard that the only way to get around not having a data plan is to purchase it from a third party like ebay, or craigslist, or from a friend. Where as if you purchase from att they require you to get the data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-09 10:39 AM
    I heard that the only way to get around not having a data plan is to purchase it from a third party like ebay, or craigslist, or from a friend. Where as if you purchase from att they require you to get the data plan.

oh deff i am trading my n97 for the 9700 so ATT will not be involved, but heard they can still charge you.
    12-19-09 10:56 AM
    If you device uses Blackberry Data, then yes you will be charged... however, if you just use the phone, texting and apps that YOU KNOW only use Wifi it shouldn't be an issue... my step-daughter uses a 8320 at schools only over Wifi... we have not been charged... and she has had her's for over a year now.
    12-19-09 11:06 AM
    If you device uses Blackberry Data, then yes you will be charged... however, if you just use the phone, texting and apps that YOU KNOW only use Wifi it shouldn't be an issue... my step-daughter uses a 8320 at schools only over Wifi... we have not been charged... and she has had her's for over a year now.
    thanks for the input, yeah my parents dont want to pay for data even though they both have iphones, irony at its best.
    12-19-09 11:09 AM
    thanks for the input, yeah my parents dont want to pay for data even though they both have iphones, irony at its best.
    Not so ironic... everyone has a Blackberry in our family and my Step-Daughter is the only one that does not have a Blackberry Data Plan... of course we are paying for her College... however, if she paid of her entire college education I think I would have paid for her Blackberry Data Plan... I think that might have saved me a few thousand dollars on that deal.
    12-19-09 11:15 AM
    Not so ironic... everyone has a Blackberry in our family and my Step-Daughter is the only one that does not have a Blackberry Data Plan... of course we are paying for her College... however, if she paid of her entire college education I think I would have paid for her Blackberry Data Plan... I think that might have saved me a few thousand dollars on that deal.
    just saying we pay ~230 a month and they dont want to pay 30 more. anyways thanks, and i hope my parents pay for my college
    12-19-09 11:19 AM
    Data would work but for how long who knows. Soon as you power on the phone at&t will know you are using a blackberry since the sim will register with at&t and tell them the imei of the phone. If at&t does do something they will just put you on the bis plan nothing really bad.

12-19-09 11:29 AM
    if you put your sim card into the new blackberry only the wap browser will work and none of the real blackberry features will work because you dont have the plan. att wont make you add the plan but your phone wont work like it should.
    12-19-09 11:37 AM
    Any AT&T Branded BB will automatically add the required data plan once your sim card is inserted into the phone, if it is non at&t branded then you are still required to have data but it most likely won't automatically be added to your account.
    12-19-09 06:20 PM
    I thought that Att has implemented where if they detected a blackberry on your line they would automatically add the data plan, regardless of carrier or BB?
    12-19-09 06:59 PM
    ^ Read the message above.

They will automatically add it whether you realize it or not. If they don't, they will find you and add it themselves.
    12-19-09 07:01 PM
    ok this is confusing me as my son has a pearl and I am NOT getting charged for the BB plan if they do then he goes back to the Motorola V5

I did see that they have it in thier that he is using the pearl but no data plan has been added...
    12-19-09 10:20 PM
    ok this is confusing me as my son has a pearl and I am NOT getting charged for the BB plan if they do then he goes back to the Motorola V5

I did see that they have it in thier that he is using the pearl but no data plan has been added...
    I'm going to assume it wasn't bought from ATT so he doesn't really need to worry about anything.
    12-19-09 10:28 PM
    AT&T has just recently (September-ish) required all smart phones to hold data plans. If you had a smart phone on your account prior to that, and didn't have it, they did not add it on. However, any smart phone added to your line/account from then on requires it.

This may be why some people don't have it. As far as the original question as to whether or not they will, I'm not 100% sure on, but they CAN (I would imagine it's only a matter of time), and they don't necessarily have to tell you. There were a lot of people using iPhones without data plans and they nailed all of them.
    12-19-09 10:29 PM
    Keep in mind that besides the data plan that might be added, you also won't have any Blackberry email without the Blackberry data plan.
    I believe the Gmail app works over wifi but the native email wont.
    12-19-09 11:01 PM
    Keep in mind that besides the data plan that might be added, you also won't have any Blackberry email without the Blackberry data plan.
    I believe the Gmail app works over wifi but the native email wont.
    i dont need any of the "business" apps

should i trade my n97 for the bold2
    12-19-09 11:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD