Does anyone get a battery drain while using the BW app? It does run in the background so I assume it takes up some memory.

I will start with 100% and the battery will be down to 20% by the end of the day. This is with normal use, and not overusing the phone. I also do not have a ton of apps on my phone as the phone is only 2 days old. I do have it updating every 15 minutes as well, so maybe I should cut that down to every 2 or 4 hours a day.

I do work outside, so having an up to date weather app is very helpful.
    12-19-09 08:44 AM
    yeah im wondering the same thing i just downloaded this morning so I will test the battery drain but most people have it set to autoupdate every hour and thats what i set mine to.
    12-19-09 08:45 AM
    If you don't autoupdate too often, it shouldn't affect the battery too much. I autoupdate every hour, knowing that if I'm between updates and I just have to know what the temp is right now, I can always force a manual update. I still have to remember to check frequently on the Tour what else is running in the background that I used and forgot to exit out of properly, but with the Seido extended battery, which I highly recommend, I make it through an entire day and still have more than half a charge.
    12-19-09 09:06 AM
    I'm running BW 2.0.63 and haven't noticed any significant battery drain. I have it set to update every hour or so and I love this application.
    12-19-09 09:25 AM
    I have it run constantly and I auto-update every hour on 3 locations, and I use my phone thoroughly throughout the day, and done really have any issues. I had to charge one time when I was talking a lot that day but other than that no issues. I usually still have about 25% left at the end of the day using it with calls text and emails, and my mem is ususally in the 90's.
    12-19-09 09:27 AM
    good....i was wondering because even though i go to menu and close its still in my running app list.
    12-19-09 09:28 AM
    If you don't autoupdate too often, it shouldn't affect the battery too much. I autoupdate every hour, knowing that if I'm between updates and I just have to know what the temp is right now, I can always force a manual update. I still have to remember to check frequently on the Tour what else is running in the background that I used and forgot to exit out of properly, but with the Seido extended battery, which I highly recommend, I make it through an entire day and still have more than half a charge.
    I will experiment with some settings and see how my battery life goes. If I do not see any improvement, I will look into a different battery.

Did you get that battery here on this site?
    12-19-09 09:47 AM
    What version do you have of Berryweather? Their newest (2.65???) supposedly does fix a looping error that could result in battery drain? But it also might be possible that they have not totally extinguished the bug.

Also, what OS are you running. I've cut updates down to 45 minutes. I have only 3 sites, one is gps. I use to have about 6 sites and I should add them back and see how battery life does now.
    12-19-09 09:53 AM
    What version do you have of Berryweather? Their newest (2.65???) supposedly does fix a looping error that could result in battery drain? But it also might be possible that they have not totally extinguished the bug.

Also, what OS are you running. I've cut updates down to 45 minutes. I have only 3 sites, one is gps. I use to have about 6 sites and I should add them back and see how battery life does now.
    I downloaded it 2 days ago and the version says 2.0.64? Unless they just came out with 2.65?

OS - 4.7.1.57 the one that came with the phone as it is 2 days old.
    12-19-09 09:58 AM
    Well there are no worries as it is deleted from my phone. What a waste of ten bucks! No detailed forecast, wind forecast is WAY off(having a nor easter here in NY and the wind is 3MPH?!?!), battery drains and upgrades are not free.

It does give a very nice icon on your screen though......

I had MyCast weather app on my Pearl and it was the best weather app for me. I decided to change to this garbage(big mistake), so it looks as though MyCast will be coming back for me.
    12-19-09 11:23 AM
    I downloaded it 2 days ago and the version says 2.0.64? Unless they just came out with 2.65?
    They did, if you go to Bellshare - Premium BlackBerry Apps you can download it there...
    12-19-09 11:29 AM
    They did, if you go to Bellshare - Premium BlackBerry Apps you can download it there...
    Thanks! That answers the battery drain, but I am curious why wind speeds are way off with this app. I did post a question on their forum, so hopefully someone comes up with an answer.

I also wonder why they do not have a detailed forecast section with this app? Next to a radar, this is one of the most common items I look for when I check the weather.
    12-19-09 11:59 AM
    You might want to look for alternate sites - when open, press BB button and then select NearbyWeatherStations - that might have a different one with more accurate readings for your location. Weather underground uses both professional and amateur weather sites for info. Maybe someone's weathervane got blown off course. (originally from Da Bronx, here).

What do you mean by detailed forecast? They have hourly but if you want a full written forecast, kind of like the advisories, I'm not sure if that is available unless you use the browser to get such info (although, I though that there was something that linked to the webpage but I can't find it!!!)

Oh, and I'm not trying to "sell" you on this app - it definitely has (hopefully, now past) its issues. But since you already paid for it, maybe try tweaking it.
    12-19-09 12:16 PM
    You might want to look for alternate sites - when open, press BB button and then select NearbyWeatherStations - that might have a different one with more accurate readings for your location. Weather underground uses both professional and amateur weather sites for info. Maybe someone's weathervane got blown off course. (originally from Da Bronx, here).

What do you mean by detailed forecast? They have hourly but if you want a full written forecast, kind of like the advisories, I'm not sure if that is available unless you use the browser to get such info (although, I though that there was something that linked to the webpage but I can't find it!!!)

Oh, and I'm not trying to "sell" you on this app - it definitely has (hopefully, now past) its issues. But since you already paid for it, maybe try tweaking it.

Detailed like this - Today a slight chance of snow late this morning, then snow this afternoon. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches. etc.

I tried different stations and some work, but most are very inaccurate. I am a roofer in Queens so wind speed plays a part in my job.

I will stick with this app for a while, but it does lack important items I do like.
    12-19-09 12:26 PM
    I think for that type of detail you need a local tv station's reporting info and maybe the National Weather Service forecasts.

Here's what you want from them:

Weather Underground (Mobile)

Scroll down that screen

edited to add: ah, OpenInBrowser from the Berryweather menu will bring up that type of detail. (and from what I see, you are in for it!!!! Snow and more snow and then gusting winds - no roofing without guy lines). Or from the weather screen, just press O.
    Last edited by F2; 12-19-09 at 01:22 PM.
    12-19-09 01:01 PM
    I think for that type of detail you need a local tv station's reporting info and maybe the National Weather Service forecasts.

Here's what you want from them:

Weather Underground (Mobile)

Scroll down
    MyCast has that type of info readily available on their app, so I guess I will have 2 apps for weather. Can't hurt in my line of business.

Thanks for the help! Are you ready for the big storm? I hear Philly has a foot already!
    12-19-09 01:05 PM
    Seattle, here, and its 45F and drizzling. But I want snow for the mountains. Last week we had a low of about 16F but sunny and clear.

I don't know if you missed my edit above- you can open the browser detail using the "O" from the weather screen.
    12-19-09 02:02 PM
    Seattle, here, and its 45F and drizzling. But I want snow for the mountains. Last week we had a low of about 16F but sunny and clear.

I don't know if you missed my edit above- you can open the browser detail using the "O" from the weather screen.
    That is an awesome tip! Thanks!

Is there a link here for other hints and tips for the Tour? I have to find a way when viewing this site on my BB to keep it maximized. I always have to zoom in every time I click the link.
    12-19-09 02:11 PM
    I believe there is an entire thread on tips/tricks. I'm not an expert - in the browser, there are two general views - PageView and ColumnView. If you set Column as the default things stay larger if that's what you want. You may need to tweak the fonts, too.

Some of the tips carry over from BB to BB so I recall some from my 8830.
    12-19-09 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD