Unread - Entertainment BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

Unread is available now from the Crackberry App Store for $4.99.

Unread is a fantastic application for the Storm series of phones and a must have for anyone using Google Reader or RSS feeds in general. Unread accesses your Google Reader account and loads your feeds based on being New, Starred, Liked, Shared, or All at Once. Full syncronization support so that when you read or change a feeds status via Unread, it will be updated in real-time to Google Reader.

Unread now has a 5-day trial. It has all the features of the full version.

Requirements:
    -OS 5.0 Device
    -Google Reader account
    -Data Plan or WiFi

Noted Features:
    -Simple intuitive home screen
    -Able to run in background & auto-update feeds
    -WiFi support (Compatible Devices Only)
    -Image support in feeds.
    -Full Google Reader syncronization in real-time
    -Change Font Size
    -Subscription list support
    -Tagging items
    -Flick scrolling through feeds
    -Landscape and Portrait view
    -Option to open article through Google's Mobile Proxy
    -Keyboard Shortcuts
    -Small Memory Usage (less than 120kb)

Unread is actively being worked on and is looking for feedback from the community. 1.22 was released on 4/2/10. If you have any ideas or thoughts on the application, feel free to post them here. You may see your suggestion implemented in a future version of the application. 4.7 OS Support has been discontinued as of release 1.20. It is recommended you update your device to the latest 5.0 OS to continue using the latest version of Unread.

Last edited by TheHeartlessHero; 04-10-10 at 10:00 AM.
    12-18-09 10:27 PM
    Does it support the folder structure I set up in Google Reader so I can browse my feeds by folder and then subscription?

This program looks interesting but I would like a trial prior to purchasing.

-Greg
    12-19-09 11:47 AM
    Currently the 1.10 version only displays all feeds based on bring new, starred, liked, shared, or all at once. 1.20 currently in beta introduces subscription lists and the folder structure like you mentioned is being planned buy not integrated yet.

A trial is in the works, but right now, the priority is the main app and making it the best it can be before worrying about a trial or porting it to other devices and OS. It is fully OS5.0 compatible as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-09 12:19 PM
    So, what does 1.10 offer (function-wise) that going to the mobile Reader site on a browser doesn't?
    12-19-09 12:27 PM
    Offhand, it has a better gui and easier navigation. Only requires login on initial setup, can run in the background and auto refresh at an interval you set to get new feeds, easily launched from your blackberry and designed specifically with the storm series of phones in mind.

Also, please note that I'm not the developer for this app. I love this app and currently beta test it and have the dev's approval of this thread. So I may not have all the information but I have tested the app extensively to hopefully be able to answer all questions you have.

12-19-09 01:06 PM
    I look forward to the next version and the trial. Please keep us informed!

-Greg
    12-19-09 06:19 PM
    I agree. Every pay app needs a trial. Will be interested to see this in final form and compare it to using the mobile reader site which is what led me to remove Viigo from my phone.
    12-19-09 09:47 PM
    Yea, the developer realizes the need for a trial and I'm sure he'll have one soon after 1.20 is out. We were actually just talking about that a couple of days ago and how to incorporate one to show off the features but still want you to pay for it and get even more out of it.

Personally, I chose this app on a gamble. I used Newsgator back when I had my curve for it's cross-platform syncing through the web and it's desktop application. They abandoned the BlackBerry and online platforms and switched their desktop application as a dedicated Google Reader thing. So I moved my feeds over and looked for an app that that would sync the same way with Google Reader.

I tried Viigo and removed it cause of ads, bloat, and that it only imported the feeds, but didn't sync the read status back. I tried other ones such as Arr! SS and the Google Reader mobile site but neither worked for what I needed which was ease of access, syncing back items as I read them, and a nice interface that I wouldn't enjoy using for a long time to come.

I came across Unread by accident while looking for apps for my new Storm2. I read the description and what it promised and took the gamble of buying the app. $5 was a risk but one I was more than willing to pay if it solved my needs. Turns out the app was fantastic, even supporting WiFi even though the Storm2 was just released. No problems with OS 5.0 either. I was elated. I contacted the dev and we discussed bugs and future features. I am really behind this program 100%.

I also love the awesome icon.
    12-19-09 11:21 PM
    Thanks for the update. Not sure I'm reading your comments about the trial correctly. Are you suggesting that the developer might release a trial of a limited feature version and then hoping folks would buy a more feature rich version? If so, I'd caution against that. Speaking as an end user and potential customer, I'd have to try a full, final release before I'd spring. It's not just about the app and some of it's features, I'd want to know exactly what I'm buying and how it's going to impact performance on my phone. Does it play nice with memory on my phone for example? I'd suggest a full featured trial for 5-7 days to allow folks to really get a feel for the app, see how it impacts the performance of their phone and become used to having it. Then they either buy and get a registration code or discontinue being able to use the app. Again, if I misunderstood your comments about the release, I apologize, but it appeared to me you were discussing a trial of a limited feature version. Not such a good idea....IMO.
    12-20-09 07:26 AM
    I apologize that you misunderstood me. Right now, the trial would most likely be one of 2 ways. Limited usage time of a few days like you mentioned, or a unlimited trial but restrictive of feeds being displayed at once. Something like your first 3 feeds displayed at a max of 10 at a time or something. That's one of the reasons I posted the thread was to get ideas on how the trial should be handled and what other features people would like to see. Also thoughts on those who purchased it and to provide support quickly for anyone who is having a problem with it.

Rest assured, any trial will show all features the app has available.

12-20-09 12:29 PM
    Getting a Storm in a few days and I can't wait to try this app, definitely what I've been waiting for.

Are there any plans to make it compatible with other BB devices? (Tour, Bold)
    12-20-09 11:15 PM
    Yes. The developer plans to make it compatible with all other BlackBerry's with at least OS 4.5. He is currently working on getting all the implementation working with the current version for the Storm & Storm2 before porting so it's easier for him in the long run to get everything working for one device completely instead of splitting his focus and releasing a subpar product for multiple devices.
    12-20-09 11:41 PM
    Just a little update.

1.20 is on track for a 1/1/10 release date. New features will include the following.

-Login details moved to options screen
    -Subscription list support
    --Show only new items or all items
    -Prefer wifi option
    -JSON feeds instead of XML (result is faster loading)
    -Change font size
    -Minor bug fixes
    -New loading text
    12-23-09 11:14 PM
    Thanks for the update. Had my xmas list for this app:

1-a free trial (coming so we hear)
    2-see it listed on Mobihand (check)
    3-a xmas sale (??)

Santa...you let me down.
    Last edited by ltrtiger; 12-24-09 at 06:24 AM.
    12-24-09 06:15 AM
    Jan. 1....look forward to it. Just hope there's a trial coming soon.
    12-28-09 08:36 PM
    1.20 is out and LIVE. I hope everyone enjoys it!
    12-30-09 07:01 PM
    Great but where's the trial??
    12-30-09 08:03 PM
    The developer was intent on getting the new version with subscription lists and increased speed out before the new year. He is at work on a trial and you should be seeing one soon. I will continue to keep this post up to date with things such as future versions, sales, or trials being added or released.
    12-30-09 08:35 PM
    Look forward to it. Hopefully it comes soon.
    12-30-09 08:40 PM
    Just a little heads up on this app. Developer is currently running a special at $2.99 until tomorrow....at least it is on Mobihand. At that price point, I think it's probably worth a go.
    12-31-09 08:56 AM
    The sale actually lasted until the 10th and the initial only day or 2 sale was a mistake. That sale is now over but I do have an update.

1.21 will be released soon, most likely in a couple days. Minor modifications but a build for 5.0 non-touchscreen devices will be added. There is also a trial so you guys can try the app out. Look forward to it soon!
    01-11-10 04:38 AM
    Good news. I've enjoyed it so far. Only "problem" I've seen is that I get a connection error message for a few seconds while the feeds are loaded. Might be something as simple as changing a setting on the timeout that provokes that message? Hope I described that correctly.
    01-11-10 06:54 AM
    I get the same problem occasionally when preferring WiFi over other methods. Then again, I have to try and break the app as much as possible to work out the kinks. Be glad you never faced all the problems I did =P

Nice to hear you are enjoying the problem. Maybe the 1.21 build will fix that as I know he mentioned connection reliability but I'm not sure 100% on everything he implemented for 1.21.
    01-11-10 07:02 AM
    Isn't a wi-fi issue as I'm on a Storm1. I don't write programs, but it almost appears the data is coming, but is too slow to avoid a timeout from triggering the message. Don't know if that's even the process that it goes through, but if it is, it might be something as simple as increasing the time required before that message is triggered. Worth a mention to the developer if you get his ear for a minute or two.
    01-11-10 07:58 AM
    I purchased this app yesterday and have to say I really love it. I have not been a google reader user (hard to say?) before but I am a big rss user. I now use both 'google reader and 'Unread' and wonder how I lived without them.

Not related to the app, my only worry is that I won't be able to get updates and the app store on my phone doesn't recognize that I purchased it and neither does my online account.
    01-12-10 03:13 AM
175 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD