i was on the 3rd party apps forum and saw that there was some kind if silent release of a new version of OM5beta2 in the last few days (i think it was released yesterday, not positive tho. there is also talk about it in the opera mini community forums: New "silent" release for BlackBerry OS 4.7 and 5.0 - Opera Mini - Opera Community)

i downloaded it from "m.opera.com/next" and i used the link for devices with 4.7 or higher (the same link that didn't work for me when the beta 2 first come out a few weeks ago. that one made my phone crash and had bad trackball/no trackball function)

this new version seems to work amazingly well, it loads fast, the fonts are all easy to read, trackball works fine, and it seems like this latest version of beta 2 is just about done, i have yet to run into any problems or crashes.

(i uninstalled OM5B2, did a battery pull, and then i installed this new version, and did another battery pull before i started the application, just to make sure the old version didn't interfere with the new version in anyway.)

i'm running Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 version 5.0.17405 in case you want to compare you're current version

just thought i would let all the other tour owners know that this browser seems to work best for me now. (i've used bolt 1.6 as well, and OM5 wins so far)
    Last edited by 9630roars; 12-19-09 at 10:27 PM.
    12-18-09 05:20 PM
    old news...move along...nothing to see here

http://crackberry.com/opera-mini-5-b...lable-download
    12-18-09 05:29 PM
    old news...move along...nothing to see here

http://crackberry.com/opera-mini-5-b...lable-download
    there is a newer version available now, the link you posted was when it first came out. i mentioned that already.

when that article first came out the link for 4.7 and touchscreen devices didn't work for the tour

that same 4.7 and touchscreen devices link does work now, and its the best version of beta 2 that i've used yet.
    12-18-09 06:02 PM
    there is a newer version available now, the link you posted was when it first came out. i mentioned that already.

when that article first came out the link for 4.7 and touchscreen devices didn't work for the tour

that same 4.7 and touchscreen devices link does work now, and its the best version of beta 2 that i've used yet.
    9630roars you are right, it was also mentioned on opera's forum that they did release a new updated version (silent release) and they (opera) said to down load at the same link i now have this new version 5.0.17405 and it works good with trackballs so far- the version that didnt work w trackballs was 5.0.15655
    12-18-09 06:14 PM
    Correct. The new version is the ishhhhhhh.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-09 07:30 PM
    How does it work with the 9700?
    12-18-09 07:44 PM
    How does it work with the 9700?
    from what i read on other forums, i hear it works well with the 9700, but then again i have a tour so i don't know for sure.

i would say give it a try at least!
    12-19-09 12:12 AM
    I just downloaded it and it works great!
    12-19-09 04:13 AM
    my bad...9630roars...good lookin. ill check it out as well cuz i know we had to use the 4.3 version before cuz the 4.7 was for touchscreen only

they really should announce this since it was a big deal before

oh and does anyone notice the site recognizes the tour correctly now
    Last edited by mc711; 12-19-09 at 05:31 AM.
    12-19-09 05:27 AM
    I just came back to BB via the Tour this week. Tonight at work I downloaded this version, not realizing I was on the cutting edge. I just got fed up quickly, once again, with the BB browser.

It's very nifty, and speedy too. The specific version number can be found under Help in the drop down menu, under About.
    12-19-09 05:39 AM
    I saw this release when I loaded my Curve this week but was too worried to try the Beta having been burned in the past. Maybe I need to try this if it's that much better, I love Opera as it is. Hmmmmm.
    12-19-09 09:02 AM
    my bad...9630roars...good lookin. ill check it out as well cuz i know we had to use the 4.3 version before cuz the 4.7 was for touchscreen only

they really should announce this since it was a big deal before

oh and does anyone notice the site recognizes the tour correctly now
    yes i noticed this as well, that our phone is now being recognized by the website from opera

i'm very impressed with this browser thus far
    12-19-09 02:24 PM
    I saw this release when I loaded my Curve this week but was too worried to try the Beta having been burned in the past. Maybe I need to try this if it's that much better, I love Opera as it is. Hmmmmm.
    i would highly recommend trying this beta again.

the original Opera Mini 5 beta 2 was problematic, however since this silent release of a newer version of beta 2 its been fantastic
    12-19-09 02:26 PM
    OK, I tried going to the link for downloading the new version. It does recognize that I have a BB Tour, but it is still unclear which of the three choices is the correct one for the Tour.

OS 4.2.1 and later

OS4.3.0 and later

OS 4.7 and later required fro Storm

I would think the last choice could be eliminated since it mentions touch devices, that leaves #1 or #2. I am on OS 4.7..61. Please let me me know which one is correct since the last time I had to search around to go back to the old version.

Thanks,

Barry
    12-19-09 03:07 PM
    Sorry, re-read a previous post and the person said they use the 4.7 link. my bad.
    12-19-09 03:10 PM
    Sorry, re-read a previous post and the person said they use the 4.7 link. my bad.
    not a problem, hope you enjoy the new version of Opera Mini 5 Beta 2!!
    12-19-09 03:13 PM
    This browser is killer. Getting better and better.
    12-19-09 07:55 PM
    Needs help here.

When I use my Opera Mini Beta 1 and go to the link: m.opera.com/next, I see two link at the top of the page:
    > Upgrade
    > Hide this message

Nothing happen when I click "Upgrade". It seems that link is not click-able.

Then at the middle of the page it states:

Device detected: Blackberry
    Your Blackberry model and OS version can't be detected. Select OS version below:

Opera Mini 5 ...... OS 4.2.1
    Opera Mini 5 ...... OS 4.3.0
    Opera Mini 5 ...... OS 4.7 (required for Storm......)

When I click these links, I can see the phone has a short period of data communication (arrow on the top right corner), however nothing happens after that. No installation process and no file downloaded.

Am I missing anything?
    12-19-09 08:39 PM
    Needs help here.

When I use my Opera Mini Beta 1 and go to the link: m.opera.com/next, I see two link at the top of the page:
    > Upgrade
    > Hide this message

Nothing happen when I click "Upgrade". It seems that link is not click-able.

Then at the middle of the page it states:

Device detected: Blackberry
    Your Blackberry model and OS version can't be detected. Select OS version below:

Opera Mini 5 ...... OS 4.2.1
    Opera Mini 5 ...... OS 4.3.0
    Opera Mini 5 ...... OS 4.7 (required for Storm......)

When I click these links, I can see the phone has a short period of data communication (arrow on the top right corner), however nothing happens after that. No installation process and no file downloaded.

Am I missing anything?
    i would try doing the upgrade with the blackberry browser instead.

here's how i did my upgrade:
    1) unistall opera mini, do a battery pull after uninstall is done
    2) go to m.opera.com/next using the blackberry browser, (it should say "opera for mobile devices - download", "decive detected: RIM - Blackberry 9630", "your blackberry model and os version cant be detected. select os version below:"
    3) you want to select the link that says "opera mini 5 beta for blackberry OS 4.7 and later (required for storm/touchscreen devices)"
    4) after the new opera mini 5 beta 2 installs, DO NOT RUN IT YET, do a battery pull and then you can run the browser.

(these 4 steps are what i did, just to make sure that older versions of opera mini 5 beta 2 browser don't mix with the newest version)

hopefully that helps, if not let us know and we can try something else
    12-19-09 09:58 PM
    When I go to the m.opera.com/next with BB Browser, it shows those download options in text form. There is no link to click. Is there a way for me to install through BB Desktop Manager via PC? And what actually is the difference between Beta 1 and Beta 2?

12-20-09 01:35 AM
    yes you can download it from operas site and install it thru desktop manager, but you should still be able to click the link with the bb browser, maybe you just need to zoom in once before you can click it? (i just went to the site and i can still click on the linK, so i'm not sure why yours wont let you) however i'm not sure how to install it from desktop manager, so you're going to have to search for how to do that, but i know you can somehow

beta 2 fixs a lot of problems that beta 1 had. i would say its basically a complete version of what opera mini 5 will be, while beta 1 was a very incomplete version.
    12-20-09 11:29 AM
    It is working great on my Tour, but still no select/copy/cut/paste. Am I missing something? Man, I copy/paste so much from a browser that it makes this version of Opera nearly worthless to me.

12-20-09 11:50 AM
    Still seems like I have to roll the trackball about a mile to get from one side of the screen to the other. Too much effort for me.
    12-20-09 12:01 PM
    I don't like that there's no syn with Opera for desktops. The previous Opera Mini had that ability. I don't really feel like manually entering my bookmarks again.

It's also a PIA to enter web addresses because it erases anything I've typed in if I hit the back/delete button. I can do a quick press, to delte one character, but it just wipes out anything I've entered.

Everything else I like much more, but those two issues make it mostly unusable to me. Get the syn back and I can deal, but I'm not entering all the addresses again.

Oh yeah! No copy/paste.
    12-20-09 02:08 PM
    i'm not having the delete issue with this newest version anymore, i only had the delete issue with beta 1

and if you want to copy and past you need to hit the blackberry button, or the number 1/w button. (i cant remember off hand and my tour is downstairs)

i've been able to copy, cut, paste with this latest version and i'm not having any delete issues or any other issues for that matter..

again my version is 5.0.17405, which you can check by hitting the bb button, and scrolling down to help, about opera and it should tell you what version you are running

again this is for opera mini 5 beta 2, version 5.0.17405.

also, i dont use opera on my computer so i cant comment on the sync issue
    12-20-09 02:55 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD