Thinking of getting the Storm 2 (9550). A friend of mine that has a Curve 8830 said, he went to the mall and they baked on a screen protector. Has anyone done this and do you have any issues with the the touch screen? Does it affect the touch screen or the lower bottom buttons at all? Does it also reduce the smudges or make it easier to clean the screen?
    Thank you in the advance.
    12-18-09 12:01 PM
    That doesn't sounds healthy for the phone...
    12-18-09 12:10 PM
    just put on my screen protector.
    It doesnt reduce smudges @ all in my opinion.. but it keeps the scratches away.. i guess..

it doesnt seem to change my touch sensitivity seems to work the same with it on or off.. but they did say in the package you might have to adjust your screens settings... however i did not...
    12-18-09 12:13 PM
    Thinking of getting the Storm 2 (9550). A friend of mine that has a Curve 8830 said, he went to the mall and they baked on a screen protector. Has anyone done this and do you have any issues with the the touch screen? Does it affect the touch screen or the lower bottom buttons at all? Does it also reduce the smudges or make it easier to clean the screen?
    Thank you in the advance.

2 minutes in a microwave?? LOL!
    12-18-09 12:21 PM
    there will be no baking of my phone.
    besides the screen is glass so it is very hard to scratch. smudges are a problem yes, but they are problems with most touch screen devices.
    12-18-09 12:54 PM
    It sounds like they just used a heat source to speed the drying of an invisible shield/phantom skin, to prevent damage from immediate usage.
    12-18-09 01:00 PM
    there will be no baking of my phone.
    besides the screen is glass so it is very hard to scratch. smudges are a problem yes, but they are problems with most touch screen devices.
    I agree, a plastic cover over a glass screen seems silly, doesn't it?
    12-18-09 01:17 PM
    I think HiPower is right...they used a heat source to help it dry faster. I think PhantomSkinz and InvisibleSHIELD advise to leave the unit off for 24 hours, so they use the heat to hopefully speed the process up and not worry about it moving around once it's on.

dave1812, I don't think it's that silly. I have a PhantomSkin on my Storm 2 and I don't even have to worry about the phone get scratched up in my pocket if I drop my keys in the same pocket. Also, it's a product that guarantees it's effectiveness. I don't know if that means they'll pay for a replacement screen or what, but it's just a peace of mind thing for me.
    12-18-09 01:25 PM
    I think HiPower is right...they used a heat source to help it dry faster. I think PhantomSkinz and InvisibleSHIELD advise to leave the unit off for 24 hours, so they use the heat to hopefully speed the process up and not worry about it moving around once it's on.

dave1812, I don't think it's that silly. I have a PhantomSkin on my Storm 2 and I don't even have to worry about the phone get scratched up in my pocket if I drop my keys in the same pocket. Also, it's a product that guarantees it's effectiveness. I don't know if that means they'll pay for a replacement screen or what, but it's just a peace of mind thing for me.
    I completely agree. Baking is probably just using a blow dryer of some sort to speed the curing process. I installed Invisible shield on my Storm 2. I left the screen portion off for a few days because I never once had one on my Storm 1. No scratches at all, even with change and keys in my pocket. I however installed it because just because it feels nice, and gives the same feel to the entire phone.
    12-18-09 01:35 PM
    I use the InvisibleSHIELD from Zagg and it is awesome. Best thing about it is the way it keeps the smudges off. Yes, there are still smudges but NOTHING like the couple weeks I had the S2 prior to putting the Zagg on. And it's 10x easier to just wipe the smudges off the Zagg than off the glass screen.

Oh and I stayed off my BB for maybe 2 hours, not the recommended 24 hours, and it's just fine. This is my 3rd Zagg (on 3 separate BBs) and they've all been great. The cool thing is that they made the installation quite a bit easier by giving you a sponge instead of the old squirt bottle. My only recommendation is to be very very patient during installation.
    Last edited by uncleman; 12-18-09 at 01:37 PM.
    12-18-09 01:35 PM
    It is possible that you could do it that same way you put on window tint.

I dont know how many of you have done it, but you can use a heat gun to put it on. It smooths out the air bubbles if you use a heat gun. It is possible you could do it with one of these, but you would have to be very careful... It would probably look pretty good though..
    12-18-09 01:43 PM

I had a plastic cover on mine too, but I still think it's "gilding the lily" so to speak. If the screen was plastic, I'd definitely want to put something over it, but glass? Not really necessary for the way I use a phone. I DO NOT PUT IT IN MY POCKET!
    12-18-09 02:55 PM
    I still laugh at the people who put screen protectors on the Storm series and iPhone. And the point would be? A side from helping with smudges there are none. You can key the screen, take a razer to it, coins, etc and it will not scratch. There are even videos of people taking knives to the displays and not a single scratch.

I do wish RIM put the anti-smudge coating on the Storm 2 like Apple did on the iPhone 3GS..
    12-18-09 03:26 PM
    I still laugh at the people who put screen protectors on the Storm series and iPhone. And the point would be? A side from helping with smudges there are none. You can key the screen, take a razer to it, coins, etc and it will not scratch. There are even videos of people taking knives to the displays and not a single scratch.

I do wish RIM put the anti-smudge coating on the Storm 2 like Apple did on the iPhone 3GS..

Just read today about a tablet that has the anti-smudge coating on it.

here's the item, but this isn't the article I read earlier: Notion Ink Android tablet will ship with a Pixel Qi display
    Last edited by dave1812; 12-18-09 at 05:40 PM.
    12-18-09 05:36 PM
    it would be nice if we had an anti smudge coating.... But oh well lol I forget about the smudges pretty fast
    12-18-09 05:49 PM
    Geez, I've not had a protector on my S1 since 11/30/08. No scratches, looks like the day I bought it. No scratches on my S2, got it the 1st day. I use a holster sometimes, sometimes just naked in my pocket, sometimes thrown in my backpack. The screen is glass. Now if it wouldn't smudge without a protector, well that would be nice!
    12-18-09 08:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD