I haven't seen this posted in the Tour forum yet, but I got an odd email from RIM at 6:41 PM. It's about updating software and I was hoping that it was information about downloading OS 5.0 because it was titled, "A new software update is available for your BlackBerry smartphone."

Instead, it didn't say much of anything, but it gave this link: BlackBerry - Update your Device Software.

Did anyone else get this email? If so, does anyone know why RIM sent it out? The title sure is misleading.
    12-17-09 06:09 PM
    THat is odd. Are you on BIS or BES?
    12-17-09 06:24 PM
    I just got it too.
    12-17-09 06:27 PM
    THat is odd. Are you on BIS or BES?
    I'm on BIS.
    12-17-09 06:31 PM
    BIS as well. Nothing on the Verizon site.
    12-17-09 06:32 PM
    I got it also. I followed the link in the e-mail. Then clicked the "check for updates" link, and it launched Desktop Manager. Connected my Blackberry, and it told me there was an update to 4.7.1.61 available. I am using the v5.14 BBHybrid, so I did nothing.

It was odd to receive the e-mail.
    12-17-09 06:33 PM
    I got it also. I followed the link in the e-mail. Then clicked the "check for updates" link, and it launched Desktop Manager. Connected my Blackberry, and it told me there was an update to 4.7.1.61 available. I am using the v5.14 BBHybrid, so I did nothing.

It was odd to receive the e-mail.
    Verizon has had 4.7.1.61 out for awhile, so the purpose of the e-mail is still unclear. I didn't even see a "check for updates" link on the Web page. UPDATE: I just went back and I still don't see a "check for updates" link on the Web-site linked from the e-mail. The only download link was for DM for Mac.

I was so excited by the title, I really thought that 5.0 was finally official. No such luck for the Tour, at least officially.
    Last edited by mededitor; 12-17-09 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Updated information
    12-17-09 06:38 PM
    and of course, yet another fluke.
    12-17-09 06:39 PM
    I got the email, too, and when I followed the mobile browser link it gave me, it took me to a page that listed me "current info". It said I have an 8830. I don't. It was weird.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 06:48 PM
    I got the email, too, and when I followed the mobile browser link it gave me, it took me to a page that listed me "current info". It said I have an 8830. I don't. It was weird.

It's starting to sound like those of us who got the e-mail received links to different RIM Web-pages.

You were sent to a page that gave you your BB information (although it was outdated). amcgeary was sent to a page that gave her a download link for 4.7.1.61. And I was sent to a page that didn't say too much, it just told me to speak to IT about future updates if I'm on BES and it gave me a link to download DM for Mac (if I'm using a Mac).

This is getting stranger and stranger.
    12-17-09 06:56 PM
    Mystery solved (from my end anyway). The 8830 got an OS upgrade today. I owned an 8830 before my Tour and I must have registered for notifications. The system apparently thinks I still have one. Oh well....
    12-17-09 06:59 PM
    Yeah, I am also a previous 8830 owner... I guess that's the confusion. I was *really* hoping it was 5.0!!

12-17-09 07:04 PM
    Mystery solved (from my end anyway). The 8830 got an OS upgrade today. I owned an 8830 before my Tour and I must have registered for notifications. The system apparently thinks I still have one. Oh well....
    I also had an 8830 before my Tour. Thanks for solving the mystery, this was really bothering me because I couldn't figure out why I received the e-mail.

However, I'm still bummed that it had nothing to do with an official OS 5.0 for our Tours.
    12-17-09 07:06 PM
    What concerns me is that you guys are getting unsolicited emails and are randomly clicking on links.

If you get an email like this then go to the BB site independently and check for updates.
    12-17-09 07:42 PM
    What concerns me is that you guys are getting unsolicited emails and are randomly clicking on links.

If you get an email like this then go to the BB site independently and check for updates.
    That's a very point, thanks for the reminder. I did a copy and paste of the link rather than clicking on the link, but the results could have been the same.
    12-17-09 07:47 PM
    i also had an 8830 except when i plugged my BB into my computer it told me that an update was available, it is only a 4.7 upgrade, but it may be a higher number. im in the middle of it now.
    12-17-09 07:48 PM
    I am also a former 8830 owner. Mystery solved for me.
    12-17-09 09:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD