I'm goint ot Mexico for about 10 days starting tommorow. I called Verizon as I had read in previous threads, and asked for an unlock code. The "tech" told me he had never heard of such a thing. He asked what for and I told him I was traveling out of the country and I needed to use a SIM card in that country, He then asked which country and proceeded to place my calling plan on a "US & International plan". Same basic calling as my current 2100 minute shared plan, but no Friends and Family and no Nights and Weekends.

Any thoughts on this? Can I stll unlock it? Can I use a SIM card purchased in Mexico????????? Help I'm in Big Red's grasp.....
    12-17-09 03:03 PM
    I'm goint ot Mexico for about 10 days starting tommorow. I called Verizon as I had read in previous threads, and asked for an unlock code. The "tech" told me he had never heard of such a thing. He asked what for and I told him I was traveling out of the country and I needed to use a SIM card in that country, He then asked which country and proceeded to place my calling plan on a "US & International plan". Same basic calling as my current 2100 minute shared plan, but no Friends and Family and no Nights and Weekends.

Any thoughts on this? Can I stll unlock it? Can I use a SIM card purchased in Mexico????????? Help I'm in Big Red's grasp.....
    If you have been a customer in good standing for 60 days Verizon will unlock your phone. Tell the customer rep to ask and he will be told that you can unlock your phone.

You did not say what part of Mexico you are going to but the global roaming plan is an option in some areas with CDMA phones. You will pay/minute whatever the Mexico rate is but will not be charged for internet email or BBM

Make sure you told the rep what date to begin global roaming and what date to end as you will only pay for the time you are away.

If you want to use a local Mexican SIM card on one of their GMS areas you need to have your phone unlocked. Verizon will unlock it and walk you through it on the phone but be advised that you will now have a different phone number and may not be able to use data
    12-17-09 03:22 PM
    Don't drink the water! Not even ice cubes.
    12-17-09 03:25 PM
    I am assuming that you mean my number would change while I use that SIM card. But when I am back I can continue to use my current Verizon number correct?
    12-17-09 03:28 PM
    I am assuming that you mean my number would change while I use that SIM card. But when I am back I can continue to use my current Verizon number correct?
    I do believe this is true.

I would figure it out real quick before you go. Call verizon and ask for the subsidary unlock code and they should know what you mean.

I got the same answer when I called about my 9530... The first guy said that they can't do that, then he transfered me to someone else and they asked me a few questions, then gave it to me over the phone after about 10 minutes.

You could also buy an unlock code.. Sometimes unlocking companies here on CB will give away free codes randomly too.
    12-17-09 03:44 PM
    Don't drink the water! Not even ice cubes.
    Yeah, I went diving in mexico while on a cruise. I had the one slip-up where I had ice in my diet coke after a dive. Two days later on the phone, people from all over the plane were handing me their barf bags. And in the taxi from the airport. All it takes is one. (just like what they teach you in sex ed, all it takes is one )

Anyway, they should give you the unlock code. If not, you could always use a service and purchase one. I image it would still be cheaper than whatever big red would charge you for that international stuff.
    12-17-09 03:45 PM
    Just got an unlock code from Big Red. Thing is, I was told that I can use my current rate plan over in Mexico with the US and Mexico plan upgrade (about $25 for one month) Now that its unlocked, what do ya'll think? Use a SIm in Mexicoor Use the US and Mexico Plan?
    12-17-09 04:17 PM
    Just got an unlock code from Big Red. Thing is, I was told that I can use my current rate plan over in Mexico with the US and Mexico plan upgrade (about $25 for one month) Now that its unlocked, what do ya'll think? Use a SIm in Mexicoor Use the US and Mexico Plan?
    Depends on how much you use the phone, but I'd think sticking with your Verizon plan would be the best for such a short trip. Same number, CDMA/GSM capability, verizon global support if you have a problem.
    12-17-09 05:10 PM
    Yes the SIM card you purchase in Mexico would have a different number. Your number with Verizon would be the same when you took out the SIM card.

BTW if you are going to the Major resort areas Cancun or Playa Del Carmen the water is somewhat safe to drink. I have been to each area several times. While I would mainly drink bottled water I never had a problem with ice cubes or iced tea.

Cancun was built as a resort area in the 70's. The water in the hotels there is filtered.

As another poster said, If you don't plan on making a lot of calls and you are going to be in a CDMA area I would just add the global roaming plan.

I was in Playa Del Carmen last year. I made a few calls, used internet and email. My bill was about $25 higher that month. I will be going again in February.
    12-17-09 05:42 PM
    I went to Mexico in September with my unlocked Verizon Wireless Tour.

You definitely want to change your plan to the International one. It ends up costing something like $2 more a day then what you normally pay. With the International Data plan you can BBM, e-mail and surf the net as much as you want. However you can not text. Text messages are charged per minute and they aren't cheap. Sorry I don't know the exact rates, but avoid it if you can.

If your phone is unlocked you can buy a SIM card while in Mexico for making phone calls. I never really got a good grasp on how much calls would really cost after buying a SIM card. You pay for the card, and then I think there is still a fee for calls...outgoing. I think incoming calls might be free but then whoever calls you will be calling an international number and they will be paying a fee. You could forward your regular cell number to the international number but then you would pay an international call fee.

Mexico is .99 per minute for phone using the Verizon SIM. I was only there for 3 nights but I just avoided using the phone. I figured by the time I bought a SIM card I could afford to have up to $25 of conversations (25 minutes) without paying anything more than I would have buying the SIM card. We just avoided calling anyone and kept in touch via e-mail and BBM. My bill for that month was only $10 more than usual.

Maybe someone can better explain the SIM costs...but I wasn't convinced I would be saving very much, if anything, by purchasing a SIM. I guess it's great for calling TO someone. But an emergency back home usually results in calls coming IN.
    12-17-09 05:53 PM
    I took my Storm to Cancun. Verizon unlocked it for me and I bought an AT&T go phone from Walmart for $9 and added $75 in minutes to it. Then I put the sim out of the AT&T phone in the Storm. Worked awesome. I also used my BBM and internet the whole time after calling Verizon and adding international to my plan. It was $1.29 a day extra and was completely worth it. Verizon was .99 cents a minute if I wanted to use it. Cancun has great CDMA coverage, but it is all just 1X. With the sim card in the phone I did have edge, though.
    12-17-09 10:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD