The Real Google Phone: Everything Is Different Now - Android - Gizmodo

It wasn't supposed to exist. "The" Google Phone. Then we (and others) heard otherwise. And now, Google isn't just handing this "sexy beast" out to employees, they're going to sell it directly. Everything has changed. Here's what we know.

� The Wall Street Journal says it's made by HTC and called the Nexus One. It'll be sold online, directly by Google. You'll have to get your own cell service (which suggests it's an unlocked device). Curiously, the WSJ says, "unlike the more than half-dozen Android phones made by phone manufacturers today, Google designed virtually the entire software experience behind the phone." Sounds weird, since they designed the look and feel of the software on the Droid and G1 too, except that our source had told us before that the current Android we know isn't the "real" Android. Also odd sounding: that name, Nexus One. But maybe not that odd.

� Google confirmed they handed out "a device that combines innovative hardware from a partner with software that runs on Android to experiment with new mobile features and capabilities and we shared this device with Google employees across the globe."

� A bunch of Google employees tweeted stuff like the phone is "like an iPhone on beautifying steroids."

� It probably looks like this:

� It's supposedly an unlocked GSM phone running Android 2.1, powered by the crazyfast Snapdragon processor, with an OLED touchscreen (no keyboard), dual mics (for killing background noise), and enhanced voice-to-text powers. It's gonna be alllll Google branding. And it's probably coming out in January. Which jives with what our source saw a couple weeks ago, a huge screen running a brand new version of Android unlike anything out there.

� We heard it was referred to, at least in some capacity in the staff meeting where they were handed out, as the "Passion."

If Google really is going to push this as The Google Phone (and it's not just a dev phone), it's hard to understate just how radically this changes the landscape not just for Android, but what it means for Google and their relationship to the cellphone industry. The Google Phone would be a radically different model, a shift from the Microsoft one�make the software, let somebody else deal with the hardware�to the Apple and BlackBerry one�make the software and the hardware, tightly integrated. And Google's even taking a step further, by selling it directly, bypassing the carriers, at least initially. (Google would not be the first to sell a high-powered unlocked phone�see Sony Ericsson and Nokia�but neither them are, um, Google, and their well-known failures with that approach makes it even ballsier.)

It's a powerful message: to the companies making phones running Android, to the carriers, to developers, to consumers. Google is in this, to win. Everything has changed. You know, unless it hasn't.
    12-14-09 07:28 AM
    If it were CDMA, I'd buy one and use it on Verizon the day it came out. But sadly, that's not possible.
    12-14-09 04:19 PM
    I don't like this phone for some reason
    12-14-09 05:11 PM
    Pretty exciting stuff for GSM customers, for sure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-09 07:07 PM
    If it were CDMA, I'd buy one and use it on Verizon the day it came out. But sadly, that's not possible.
    +1 we will just have to keep waiting for something to happen.
    12-14-09 07:19 PM
    +1 we will just have to keep waiting for something to happen.
    The Droid happened? The Droid is a really good phone...I don't get why so many people are 'waiting' for the next best thing. Every new phone that comes out also has another new phone in the shadows waiting to launch. The original iphone was outclassed by 3g, which was outclassed by 3gs...same goes for any phone in a line of models, or series. In 6 months to a year there will be another android phone that will 'sound' better, why not wait for one of those?

In the meantime, I will enjoy my droid immensely (as I have been) and verizon. You guys all waiting for the 'best' phone can keep waiting.
    12-14-09 07:29 PM
    I love my Droid emensely too!!

The only thing that excites me about the "Google Phone" is the 2.1 Flan OS.... but that will go right onto the Droid as well, so there's nothing really left for the new phone to tempt me to trade it in.
    12-14-09 07:34 PM
    The Droid happened? The Droid is a really good phone...I don't get why so many people are 'waiting' for the next best thing. Every new phone that comes out also has another new phone in the shadows waiting to launch. The original iphone was outclassed by 3g, which was outclassed by 3gs...same goes for any phone in a line of models, or series. In 6 months to a year there will be another android phone that will 'sound' better, why not wait for one of those?

In the meantime, I will enjoy my droid immensely (as I have been) and verizon. You guys all waiting for the 'best' phone can keep waiting.
    Maybe some people do not like the design of the Droid, or are waiting for one of the new phones with the snapdragon processor. Yes there is always new tech coming out, but there are much better phones coming out at the start of the new year that have been announced . I'm not just talking Android either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-09 08:21 PM
    I thought with the Google/Verizon partnership we were gonna be looking at phones like this coming to Verizon.

/Jealous
    12-14-09 08:51 PM
    Nor was I, and I wasn't just trying to support the Droid. I'm talking from a general stand point. Its a common occurance where people are constantly waiting and waiting and waiting. I realize this 'google' phone is supposedly around the corner, which is relevant this time...but if it was March or April, I think you'd get my point a little more clearly.

Whether an upcoming phone will be better is a matter of opinion (and speculation until release), and my opinion is if you are referring to a winmo phone then I would beg to differ. If you are hinting at samsungs OS (bada), that would be taking a stab in the dark at this point. A BB maybe? For diehard BB fans, maybe, but it's still a BB and imo, bland. Symbian...right. Pixi with webOS, no thanks. All my opinion of course.

Yodes: Why are you jealous? Because its being issued by Google? Nothing revealed so far says it will be any different from a software perspective than whats available. 2.1 will be released on Verizon. If you mean hardware, we can all assume its the bravo/passion, which is very similar to the Xperia X10. The X10 hasn't wow'd anyone with its hands on yet, they still prefer the Droid. Don't worry, verizon will release more Android phones. However, I do find it curious that Verizon passed on it. I don't see a reason why, unless Google refused to label it a "Droid" phone.
    Last edited by Hanano17; 12-14-09 at 08:59 PM.
    12-14-09 08:54 PM
    Yeah, I'll second the whole "wish it was CDMA" thing...
    12-14-09 09:03 PM
    meh.......
    12-14-09 09:08 PM
    yawn...its vaporware until its something they're going to release. At this point, we don't know if its a development phone, a potential retail release, or what it is. Everything's just conjecture and guesses at this stage.
    12-14-09 11:57 PM
    I dont understand the hype about this supposed GOOGLE Phone.
    What I am seeing is a HTC phone that has been de-branded and know someone somewhere decided to call it a Google phone. They look exactly the same.
    12-16-09 12:06 AM
    Looks promising enough for me to wait and see. Tmob works for me almost as well as Vzn (and cheaper). I was interested in the Droid but it's kind of a brick and the physical keyboard is dead weight. This sounds like a better phone possible, but who knows really? Could be a rumor.
    12-16-09 11:21 AM
    I dont understand the hype about this supposed GOOGLE Phone.
    What I am seeing is a HTC phone that has been de-branded and know someone somewhere decided to call it a Google phone. They look exactly the same.
    You said it. The google is android OS. google brand phones are here already. That is just HTC's newest concept running google.
    12-16-09 11:25 AM
    The google phones are G1, Mytouch 3g, Droid, and this phone. They all are google phones. G1 show cased Android 1, Mytouch 3g showcased Cupcake update, and droid showcased eclair. This phone is going to show case Flan which is also coming out on the Droid in january first.
    12-16-09 09:58 PM
    it is ugly. another cookie cutter phone...if i cant get the hd2 with 4.3 screen os 2.1 and cdma ill stick to my Moto Droid.. yawn....
    12-16-09 10:22 PM
    i seen a pic of this on another forum with a VERIZON branding on it..i think it was droidforums.net
    12-16-09 10:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD