I just got my 9700 today (first Blackberry, don't think I can ever go back) and I was wondering what people suggest be done with new batteries. I've heard that letting it die then charge completely without it being used overnight makes the battery last longer; I've heard that charging it once it's been used a bit over night but NOT letting it die is best; and I've also heard that both of those methods actually hinder your device.

So what it be? I don't wanna screw it up, so am looking for what other people have done and any results...
    12-12-09 07:37 PM
    Well, first, Welcome! You made the right choice. and about the battery, there has been much debate about it. What I have come to decide on is not to let it die, and try to keep it about 50%. Most people would agree with this.
    12-12-09 07:42 PM
    Battery technology has come a long ways. Use it and charge when it needs a charge. Simple as that.
    12-12-09 07:46 PM
    with the batterys in the current line up being very dureable you really cant go wrong. some would say a full charge followed by a complete discharge and repeat that cycle other would suggest quick charges here and there to keep the battery topped off. i havent come across any evidence of either method being better than the other. i think most people just charfe theyre device at night and never give it a second thought. welcome btw, and enjoy your new toy
    12-12-09 07:48 PM
    Hello and Welcome! Blackberry is the way to go. As for the battery I usually let it die completely to the point the phone shuts off then charge fully. My battery lasts a minimum of 2 days on heavy usage text,calls,internet,apps and more. I find it to be the best way for me but everyone has their own preferences.
    12-12-09 08:06 PM
    For a nice review on how far we've come in battery technology and care, take a look at this recent article:

Four essential tips for extending the battery life of your computer, cell phone, and every other gadget. - By Farhad Manjoo - Slate Magazine
    12-12-09 08:13 PM
    Alright thank you very much guys for your help!
    12-12-09 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD