Installed Meterberry 2.0 last week. Since then I lose between 7-10mb of app memory daily. Uninstalled and reinstalled, same results.

Nothing installed after it. I boot up at 41.3 and never drop below 40 before a battery swap.

Running .328 shrunk and very few apps: Weatherberry,Docs To Go,Scoremobile,and VZ Navigator, and no themes use the default.

Like I said didn't have any problems until installing Meterberry. I got it not really for memory monitoring but for the battery temp,signal strength log, etc.

Anybody else have an issue with it?
    12-10-09 09:15 PM
    I don't have any leaks with meterberry. I know weatherbug causes fits, but like you said you didn't have any problems before you installed meterberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-09 11:15 PM
    You know who's fault this really is .... RIM !! RAM stands for Random access memory (refered to as free app memory in blackberry land) you are NOT supposed to be installing freaking programs (apps) on RAM memory . You are supposed to install it on the hard drive (1 gig on storm more than enough) and only use the ram to boot up and run apps. That is the windows does it, that is the way mac OSX does it and that is the way linux and android do it! That's the premise of ram ! Installing apps on it is NOT what RAM was invinted for! COME ON RIM GET WITH THE PROGRAM !!!!

12-10-09 11:30 PM
    I also having been using Meterberry 2.0.3 without a memory leak. In fact the memory increases a little after a restart.
    12-11-09 04:54 AM
    Must be my phone. I lose .3mb on booting and then after that you can actually watch it drop. The memory recovery will give me back .1mb after the loss.

Uninstalled it for the last time and now all is fine.

Just going to run without it..............
    12-11-09 07:39 AM
    I had a similar problem with weatherberry and it seems to works fine for you so go figure I guess it is possible that the two apps don't play nice together...
    12-11-09 09:05 AM
    i was having problems with meterberry.
    12-11-09 09:22 AM
    You know who's fault this really is .... RIM !! RAM stands for Random access memory (refered to as free app memory in blackberry land) you are NOT supposed to be installing freaking programs (apps) on RAM memory . You are supposed to install it on the hard drive (1 gig on storm more than enough) and only use the ram to boot up and run apps. That is the windows does it, that is the way mac OSX does it and that is the way linux and android do it! That's the premise of ram ! Installing apps on it is NOT what RAM was invinted for! COME ON RIM GET WITH THE PROGRAM !!!!

app memory is not RAM
    12-11-09 12:03 PM
    My memory loss improved with Meterberry 2.0.3. I also us a third party theme and have gone as long as 8 days without a reboot. And then the only reason I rebooted was because I made a change to an app.

As usual, the Storm seems to be different for different users, but then our individual usage, app configuration and themes are likely different.
    12-11-09 12:11 PM
    I may have this wrong and if so hopefully one of the guys with more knowledge will chime in here but if the app memory is allocated by the OS from the device memory wouldn't it be possible to change the OS and allow more app memory or is this a hardware issue?
    12-11-09 02:55 PM
    it might be but its low level code that no app dev has access too
    12-11-09 04:26 PM
    it might be but its low level code that no app dev has access too
    I was actually thinking RIM should do it since they are very aware the app memory is an issue.
    12-11-09 05:07 PM
    I was actually thinking RIM should do it since they are very aware the app memory is an issue.
    well their fix is just to increase the memory all around to 256 app and 2 gigs internal now...so they seem to be fixing it in their own way. I would like to ability to adjust it on my own but i doubt it will happen. I wouldnt think the code is that hard to the write in to the OS but it might be hardware related too.
    12-11-09 05:22 PM
    well their fix is just to increase the memory all around to 256 app and 2 gigs internal now...so they seem to be fixing it in their own way. I would like to ability to adjust it on my own but i doubt it will happen. I wouldnt think the code is that hard to the write in to the OS but it might be hardware related too.
    I dont get why they increased internal mem. The 1 gig on s1 is useless so now they give another gig of useless mem to do what? Make it sound better when advertising the phone? I know RIM cares about security and all that but cmon , in this day and age of technology they cant figure out how to make a secure phone that offers the end user more stability in how the phone operates? More and more im coming to the belief that RIM can fix it if they really wanted to but why? If they do who will upgrade , right? I mean if your phone works right then why get a new one? Oh wait RIM loses money if no one buys a new phone every year, my bad. lol
    12-12-09 10:30 AM
    Plain and simple, there is no security measure RIM can make that keeps someone from physically taking the SD card from the phone. That is the only thing i can think of. So no matter what, the files on the 2 GBs are protected if they need to be
    12-12-09 12:43 PM
    Plain and simple, there is no security measure RIM can make that keeps someone from physically taking the SD card from the phone. That is the only thing i can think of. So no matter what, the files on the 2 GBs are protected if they need to be
    I agree the SD Card can't really be secured so allocate more app memory from the Device Memory and be done with it.
    12-12-09 12:59 PM
    My memory has been very stable since the 328 update. In fact so stable I quit using what I bought Meterberry for in the first place - daily reboots. I still have Meterberry installed and doing hourly cleanups, but my memory has been quite stable. Only time I reboot now is if I update an installed app and it forces me to reboot.
    12-12-09 07:26 PM
    I understand what you mean but i just look at it as i dont use the internal mem for anything at all. Whatever is used in the space that says is being used i dont have control over. The rest just sits there unused. So now if i get a s2 i now have more space that just sits and does nothing. Secure space- YES. But completely unused. If that makes sense.
    12-12-09 09:41 PM
    I understand what you mean but i just look at it as i dont use the internal mem for anything at all. Whatever is used in the space that says is being used i dont have control over. The rest just sits there unused. So now if i get a s2 i now have more space that just sits and does nothing. Secure space- YES. But completely unused. If that makes sense.
    i agree for you and me its nothing i have nothing on there either. Some poeple might not have a SD card and that is all they have and some might use it for the security is all i am saying. For the majority i agree its useless
    12-12-09 09:47 PM
    Im really hoping S3 will start to show a new direction for RIM as far as touchscreen goes. Ive always believed the storm was supposed to be something different from other BB devices. If thats so than they should really treat it that way. If they want a more commercially accepted phone then they really have to let go of the business orientated mentality that seems to be holding this phone back. If you want a fun phone for people then give people a fun phone, period. I like my storm, i really do but im not upgrading till things change. Why go to a S2 for basically the same thing i have now? What is 256mb of mem really going to give me more ability to do? Maybe some but its still more or less the same phone.(Touchscreen experience is better on S2 due to the hardware i know. Talking software.) From using a S2 at the several stores i liked it but really didnt see a reason to leave my S1. Will RIM open it up for S3? I hope so.
    Last edited by strmtrooper; 12-12-09 at 10:37 PM.
    12-12-09 10:31 PM
    If they want a more commercially accepted phone then they really have to let go of the business orientated mentality that seems to be holding this phone back. If you want a fun phone for people then give people a fun phone, period.
    I certainly hope RIM does just the opposite. There are more than enough toy phones out there. If that's what the customer wants, let them go nuts. If RIM wants the Storm to be a success it needs to be a Blackberry not a toy.

There is so much potential for a bb with a nice big screen if RIM would just drop all the media/game/video player nonsense.

Refine, and redefine but do not abandon your customer base. There is ZERO reason to try to sell a bb to the texter/gamer/youtube folks.
    12-12-09 11:00 PM
    I certainly hope RIM does just the opposite. There are more than enough toy phones out there. If that's what the customer wants, let them go nuts. If RIM wants the Storm to be a success it needs to be a Blackberry not a toy.

There is so much potential for a bb with a nice big screen if RIM would just drop all the media/game/video player nonsense.

Refine, and redefine but do not abandon your customer base. There is ZERO reason to try to sell a bb to the texter/gamer/youtube folks.
    Money isnt a reason? The majority of those that bought were expecting just that, a different kind of blackberry. Its what BB's initial push behind the storm was about in the first place, to attract a different audience. They wanted the non- business orientated user like myself and others and got us. They have devices that are streamlined more for business. Again the storm was supposed to be different so it seemed back then.
    12-13-09 12:13 AM
    Money isnt a reason? The majority of those that bought were expecting just that, a different kind of blackberry. Its what BB's initial push behind the storm was about in the first place, to attract a different audience. They wanted the non- business orientated user like myself and others and got us. They have devices that are streamlined more for business. Again the storm was supposed to be different so it seemed back then.
    the thing is i think RIM is doing just fine in the consumer market with all of the new blackberries. Look around at all the people with Curves, bolds, tours and even pearls. I would say the storm doesnt need to change drastically towards comsumer oriented. While it may have more of a shot in the consumer market being a touchscreen there is no doubt that BBs in general are now more than even being bought outside of the business world.
    12-13-09 12:34 AM
    the thing is i think RIM is doing just fine in the consumer market with all of the new blackberries. Look around at all the people with Curves, bolds, tours and even pearls. I would say the storm doesnt need to change drastically towards comsumer oriented. While it may have more of a shot in the consumer market being a touchscreen there is no doubt that BBs in general are now more than even being bought outside of the business world.
    I agree dont get me wrong. I really just want to see RIM take the storm to a different level. It can be done we know that its more does RIM really want to go there, im hoping so. If not im happy as is i guess. The storm itself is a completely different phone than anything ive used in the past so im learning as i go.lol. Im just a optimist to an extent i guess that RIM can really do good things in the touchscreen market if they really went full bore into it.
    12-13-09 01:57 AM
    I have a question. I am a huge theme user meaning I probably own 20. when I remove theme and then reload it later it uses the same custom background and arrangements i removed it with. Does this suck my memory with all this saved information when theme is removed. If that is the case how do I remove that information if it is a memory hog. Or should I not even worry about it. I have a Storm 9530 and am getting low on memory.
    12-21-09 08:59 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD