Ok this is the superuser.zip + official_update.zip = modded_update.zip

It will give you root access directly from phone.

* Download this file http://alldroid.org/download/file.php?id=659 (I will get a better link tonight, as I am still at work)

* Rename the file to update.zip and place it in the root directory of your microSD card

* Power off the phone

* Power on the phone while holding the �X� key on the physical keyboard to enter recovery mode

* When you see the triangle with the exclamation point, press the volume up key and camera button key (only press the camera key down half way)

* Navigate to �apply update.zip� and press the gold center button on the keyboard to select it. It will start the update process

* Reboot the phone after it�s finished.

Now when you have done that, Download Android Terminal Emulator from marketplace. When you have that you can enter the command "su" which means super user and it will allow you super user access. From there, just browse apps on the marketplace that require root access.

So far I have AdFree installed, and I have no ad's in the browser or apps like pandora.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything harmful that may occur as a result of installing this. Also it is noted, do NOT change or edit any of the contents of the zip file, there are already news of bricked phones because people decided to alter the contents of the zip file.

Now with that out of the way, I hope you all enjoy.
    Last edited by FrostMan; 12-10-09 at 09:43 AM.
    12-09-09 06:03 PM
    In before the million questions.

You're a brave soul....not for rooting, but telling everyone you know how to do it. Brace yourself
    12-09-09 06:17 PM
    that's the same method to installing OS updates. Didn't realize it would be that easy.
    12-09-09 06:27 PM
    That doesn't sound like full root access to me or do I not know what I'm talking about
    12-09-09 06:40 PM
    That doesn't sound like full root access to me or do I not know what I'm talking about
    Lol I don't know it looks like it to me. This is different than the one root thing released yesterday. So far all apps that need root access have worked for me, even got wifi tether to work which is nice. I have only been an android user since a month so I may not be the best candidate, but just wanted to share the new info.
    12-09-09 06:59 PM
    Lol I don't know it looks like it to me. This is different than the one root thing released yesterday. So far all apps that need root access have worked for me, even got wifi tether to work which is nice. I have only been an android user since a month so I may not be the best candidate, but just wanted to share the new info.
    No I'm in the same boat as you so no worries. But as far as I know when rooting don't you need to create recovery roms and all that?
    12-09-09 07:06 PM
    No I'm in the same boat as you so no worries. But as far as I know when rooting don't you need to create recovery roms and all that?
    Yea I think that will come later. The Dev's need to make them, we should have a few custom roms in a week tops. Also as far as I have seen, the people over at xda don't want to make custom roms for the droid since it isn't an HTC device, which is really disappointing.
    12-09-09 07:18 PM
    In before the million questions.

You're a brave soul....not for rooting, but telling everyone you know how to do it. Brace yourself
    Lmao...hilarious!
    12-09-09 07:34 PM
    SO I put Adfree on, how can I figure out if it is working? Instructions not very clear on app.
    12-09-09 10:44 PM
    I booted up Pandora and saw no adds. That's how I figured out if it was working.

Thanks for the instructions Frostman. I figured rooting would be a long tedious chore. You broke it down for all to understand
    12-09-09 11:23 PM
    I haven't rooted yet but definetly thinking about it. Once roms come out I definitely will. But a question first. I looked at the market but didn't see anything that piqued my interest. In your opinions what are the best apps for rooted phones. Like top five or something. If you guys mention some good stuff maybe ill root now.
    12-09-09 11:42 PM
    I followed the above process exactly as it is worded. But im still getting ads in pandora? :\ Any ideas?
    12-10-09 12:21 AM
    Did you make sure to allow adfree access to your system? I remember it asking me for access and then it prompted me to download and update. Rebooted my phone and voila!
    12-10-09 12:25 AM
    I followed the above process exactly as it is worded. But im still getting ads in pandora? :\ Any ideas?
    Did you download adfree and run it?

Also did you enable su through terminal emulator?
    12-10-09 12:30 AM
    Not all the way through i guess. I started it and a pop up came up asking for su access i hit ok and got a black screen. so just now i tried opening it up again and it went through another process where it searched the internet for a list of some sort. but i think it should work now. (excuse the newbie response) lol. I keep forgetting about the good ol' reboot lol a la storm 1.... batt pulls were my best friend b4.
    12-10-09 12:37 AM
    Frost, you should always, always, always, state a caveat when giving people step by step instructions. Something along the lines of " This can damage your phone, and I am in no way responsible should you end up with a 600 dollar paper weight".

Good guide, but always give that disclaimer.
    12-10-09 01:28 AM
    Has anyone gotten AppsToSD to work?
    12-10-09 08:54 AM
    Sweet followed the instructions and now my phone is rooted. I did the whole process using my Droid, no USB cable or computer needed. I love this phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-09 08:57 AM
    I can't get appstosd to work either any thought? Any other cool root apps that are a must for a rooted Droid?

12-10-09 08:59 AM
    Did you make sure to allow adfree access to your system? I remember it asking me for access and then it prompted me to download and update. Rebooted my phone and voila!
    yep, I had to reboot too. Worked on Pandora anyhow.
    12-10-09 09:17 AM
    Frost, you should always, always, always, state a caveat when giving people step by step instructions. Something along the lines of " This can damage your phone, and I am in no way responsible should you end up with a 600 dollar paper weight".

Good guide, but always give that disclaimer.
    Hah good point typed up a quick disclaimer from my phone.

Thanks for the advice.
    12-10-09 09:47 AM
    Another important note that should be mentioned is if you decide to root your phone you will no longer be able to do any OTA updates from what I've read.

All updates will have to be uploaded somewhere and installed manually. I prefer that anyway. I used to love waiting up all night for the next leak for my storm.
    Last edited by Mayze; 12-10-09 at 10:09 AM.
    12-10-09 10:05 AM
    Ok this is the superuser.zip + official_update.zip = modded_update.zip

It will give you root access directly from phone.

* Download this file http://alldroid.org/download/file.php?id=659 (I will get a better link tonight, as I am still at work)

* Rename the file to update.zip and place it in the root directory of your microSD card

* Power off the phone

* Power on the phone while holding the �X� key on the physical keyboard to enter recovery mode

* When you see the triangle with the exclamation point, press the volume up key and camera button key (only press the camera key down half way)

* Navigate to �apply update.zip� and press the gold center button on the keyboard to select it. It will start the update process

* Reboot the phone after it�s finished.

Now when you have done that, Download Android Terminal Emulator from marketplace. When you have that you can enter the command "su" which means super user and it will allow you super user access. From there, just browse apps on the marketplace that require root access.

So far I have AdFree installed, and I have no ad's in the browser or apps like pandora.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything harmful that may occur as a result of installing this. Also it is noted, do NOT change or edit any of the contents of the zip file, there are already news of bricked phones because people decided to alter the contents of the zip file.

Now with that out of the way, I hope you all enjoy.
    I am new to Android, coming from Blackberry Storm. I already had 2.01 installed. This didn't work for me. Is there an easy way to apply the superuser zip file. I am getting this error "can't open/cache/recovery/command" Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    12-10-09 01:10 PM
    this worked great for me!!! mods need to sticky this......
    12-10-09 02:55 PM
    Sweet followed the instructions and now my phone is rooted. I did the whole process using my Droid, no USB cable or computer needed. I love this phone

how did you do that? is there a program that lets you dload files?
    12-11-09 08:38 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD