There have been several defending threads on the Blackberry Storm forums about the capability of a Storn to Multi task where the iPhone cannot.

However, AT&T is marketing that on their 3G network you can talk on the phone AND use email or surf the web..... all of which I cannot do on my BB Storm !!

On my Storm, I cannot use the Web Browser, emails do not send or receive and BB messenger does not send or receive. Hmmmmmm...... wishing I was an Iphone owner now even though I love my Storm.... or used to.
    12-09-09 02:42 PM
    There have been several defending threads on the Blackberry Storm forums about the capability of a Storn to Multi task where the iPhone cannot.

However, AT&T is marketing that on their 3G network you can talk on the phone AND use email or surf the web..... all of which I cannot do on my BB Storm !!

On my Storm, I cannot use the Web Browser, emails do not send or receive and BB messenger does not send or receive. Hmmmmmm...... wishing I was an Iphone owner now even though I love my Storm.... or used to.
    But do know CDMA is more secure than GSM
    12-09-09 03:11 PM
    Sure you can. You just need to be connected to a Wifi network.
    12-09-09 04:19 PM
    how is this iphone related? belongs in the carrier discussion sections
    12-09-09 04:26 PM
    I didn't know apple has a cellphone service providing company? lol
    12-09-09 04:33 PM
    this is not iphone related, but carrier technology related. NO VZW phone will do that, and EVERY ATT 3G phone will.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-09-09 at 05:23 PM.
    12-09-09 04:55 PM
    if ATT got signal up here (western part of north carolina) i would totally switch.

the people i know who have an iphone have to walk around with their phones in the air in order to get anything.
    12-09-09 05:22 PM
    I didn't know apple has a cellphone service providing company? lol
    Seriously.... you get the point.

Of course Apple doesnt provide service, but the main point I am making is that AT&T ( the only carrier for the iPhone) can in fact multi task better than the Blackberry.
    12-10-09 09:51 AM
    Sure you can. You just need to be connected to a Wifi network.
    If I were connected to a Wifi network, I would not need to use my phone to multi task, I could use my laptop instead while I was on the phone.
    12-10-09 09:53 AM
    iPhone) can in fact multi task better than the Blackberry.
    i'm totally going to be rehashing past threads here, but...

meh. nah not really. while it CAN do it... it's restricted from doing any real multitasking by Apple. Aside from making a phone call while you're on another app, or playing music in the background, that's it.

You cannot switch between other apps actively running and refreshing, as you can on a BB. The iPhone quits the application when switching between them.
    12-10-09 10:43 AM
    LOL @ Title.

Anywho-

Back to the topic-

There are two types of multitasking.

1.) Using the phone and sending/receiving data simultaneously.

2.) Running more than one application in the background.

The iPhone is capable of numero uno, as well as the Storm2, *IF* it's hooked onto WiFi.

The Storm is capable of numero dos, whereas the iPhone can not unless it's been jailbroken. (Unless you're counting music playback)
    12-10-09 10:47 AM
    Well Jazz, it seems like you would be better off with an Iphone on Att then if this is that important to you. Just be sure you get consistent 3G service where you will be using your "multi-tasking" Iphone, because it won't work on EDGE.
    12-10-09 12:59 PM
    Edge on ATT is like 3G on Verizon anywho...
    12-10-09 02:22 PM
    That could be true, but the OP is talking about be able to browse the web and be on the phone at the same time. That is NOT possible on Edge, it will only work when connected with 3G.
    12-10-09 02:48 PM
    I'm not sure if EDGE on ATT is comparable to Verizon 3G.

I have both services currently, and Verizon's 3G can hit anywhere from 80KB/s to 170KB/s.

EDGE will absolutely not hit anything above 100KB/s, EDGE is usually in the ballpark of 20KB/s to 50KB/s
    12-10-09 04:26 PM
    if ATT got signal up here (western part of north carolina) i would totally switch.

the people i know who have an iphone have to walk around with their phones in the air in order to get anything.
    It might be a problem with the iPhone rather than AT&T:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/bu...l?ref=business

"When I set about looking for independent data, however, to confirm the superior performance of Verizon�s network, I was astonished to discover that I had managed to get things exactly wrong. Despite the well-publicized problems in New York and San Francisco, AT&T seems to have the superior network nationwide.

And the iPhone itself may not be so great after all. Its design is contributing to performance problems.

Roger Entner, senior vice president for telecommunications research at Nielsen, said the iPhone�s �air interface,� the electronics in the phone that connect it to the cell towers, had shortcomings that �affect both voice and data.� He said that in the eyes of the consumer, �the iPhone has the nimbus of infallibility, ergo, it�s AT&T�s fault.� AT&T does not publicly defend itself because it will not criticize Apple under any circumstances, he said. AT&T and Apple both declined to comment on Mr. Entner�s assessments."
    12-12-09 02:58 PM
    I think Trendy is right, it is not that you can't run the Internet while on a call, but that Verizon has disabled that for security purposes. Imagine if you are on a call and an app gets online to admin functions to take control of the mike, now everyone can hear you....Besides, who actually surfs the net while on a phone call, from where I come from, people are adapt and can do that for themselves without having to call you up and say "google this please." If at&t worked in the mountains where I live then I would have given the iPhone a shot long ago, because it is a **** of a performer and that can't be denied.
    12-13-09 11:50 AM
    Thats not true. I have a Droid and the internet is very fast. Not as fast as AT&T 3G but much faster than EDGE.
    12-13-09 12:35 PM
    I think Trendy is right, it is not that you can't run the Internet while on a call, but that Verizon has disabled that for security purposes.
    Completely untrue. The Verizon network is not capable of supporting voice and data because of the Technology used (same with Sprint). However you should still be able to browse if you have a wi-fi connection.
    12-14-09 10:58 AM
    But do know CDMA is more secure than GSM
    And? how many "I got hacked on a GSM phone" threads do you see popping up? The fact that the world is 90%+ (probably 95%+) GSM, even if you do, that would be expected, just like PC vs Mac. No one cares that much about the minority to research Mac, creating hacks/trojans when most computers are PCs. That is the same reason there are more apps for windows than Mac, or more apps for the iPhone than other platforms.
    12-14-09 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD