Okay, so I cannot get rid of the password requirement when unlocking my phone.

Seems simple right? Password settings, disable password? NOPE!

Okay first thing, my phone automatically on it's own prompted me to create a password...I couldn't back out of the menu system, and kept asking me to input a password. I thought it was weird cause all I was doing was listening to Pandora like usual. I input a password anyways, and set up the password lock feature figuring I could just go back in and disable it.

Then something else weird happened, it keeps bringing up this prompt that the "program has downloaded and needs to reboot to finish the installation." WTF I WASNT INSTALLING ANYTHING!!!!!!

Third thing when I go to disable the password, the button that says enabled, and has a picture of a lock on it is greyed out and it does not allow me to alter anything except change my password again!

This is seriously freaky and seems like someone hacked my phone or something....I sell phones for a living, and I know my way around a Blackberry a bit, so please don't give me simplistic answers like "Um go to settings / disable password silly." My phone is possessed and I want to avoid having to backup\reinstall if possible. Anyone got any ideas?
    12-09-09 12:56 PM
    Do you have BES? You probably have IT policy on ur blackberry. Did you get it thru your job?
    12-09-09 01:00 PM
    Well I use my work email on it, and use BES...but I bought the phone for myself. I bought it at a Best Buy...are you saying that my company (T-Mobile) would be able to automatically send me a program to download through my phone and automatically require me to set up a password? If that is true, that is scary...I am getting a second phone line....
    Last edited by dangerboy2001; 12-09-09 at 01:04 PM.
    12-09-09 01:02 PM
    12-09-09 01:04 PM
    the BES system controls different policies on your phone. You will see little red locks in certain options. These are locked by a BES administrator. Unfortunately even though its your phone being on a BES could potentially limit what your phone can or cannot do. At this point your phone is controlled by your companies IT policy through the BES.
    12-09-09 01:05 PM
    He is on a BES through his company. I would HIGHLY suggest you speak with whomever is in charge with your company regarding the BES policy before removing any restrictions. Removing those can be harmful to your companies security.
    12-09-09 01:07 PM
    This never happened to my Blackberry 8900 and I used that for about 3 months before I bought my 9700.... Grr, this grinds my gears.. T-Mobile running up in my junk! I am taking my work email off my phone, if they wanna contact me, they can hack a phone that they give me for free, or wait until I have time to check my email from a desktop.

Thank you guys for your support though. Seems like that is probably the issue. First thing, back up important files, second thing WIPE HANDHELD, third thing, set up phone again without BES internet service...
    Last edited by dangerboy2001; 12-09-09 at 01:11 PM.
    12-09-09 01:08 PM
    There is a big difference between having work email on your phone and being connected through a BES. I would suggest you find out which is true. If my company has email through a pop account I can put it on my phone and not be connected to a BES.
    12-09-09 01:10 PM
    This never happened to my Blackberry 8900 and I used that for about 3 months before I bought my 9700.... Grr, this grinds my gears.. T-Mobile running up in my junk! I am taking my work email off my phone, if they wanna contact me, they can hack a phone that they give me for free, or wait until I have time to check my email from a desktop.

Thank you guys for your support though. Seems like that is probably the issue. First thing, back up important files, second thing WIPE HANDHELD, third thing, set up phone again without BES internet service...
    whiping your device isnt going to take the it policy away I hate to tell you
    12-09-09 01:37 PM
    Talk to IT of your company,
    12-09-09 02:00 PM

T-mobile didn't do it... unless you work for T-mobile.... It is your company that controls the BES servers!!
    12-09-09 02:06 PM
    The easiest thing to do is, as suggested, talk with your BES admin.
    Full BES functionality can include quite a bit more than email. I my case I also have full access to our secured internal network through the BES, which is insanely convenient if I find the need to SSH into one of my systems for a quick change from the local pub. It's access features like this that often prompt mandates for password requirements and program restrictions.

If your company requires a mobile device password for policy compliance you'll either need to live with it or simply ask the BES admin to (1) remove the corporate policy from your device and (2) remove your BES account. This will preclude the need to jump through policy removal hoops and give you back full control over your device.

If there's no corporate requirement for a password, he/she might just remove that requirement for you. If you don't ask, you don't get
    12-09-09 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD