I have been reading but not seeing the questions I have, so I'm hoping it ok to ask here

I have my BB and I use it mostly for my yahoo email, I love that its sent right to my phone. Also of course for the phone its self and the internet. I live in an area where they are no close towers so my reception is low but my BB curve works decent.

So my questions are:
    How is the reception on the Droid in low tower areas? I am far in the country.

Does your email come to the phone like the BB or do you have to actually go on the internet to sign in to your email?

What type of internet plan do you need to hold for the Droid?

Is the Droid a better phone than a BB?

I think thats it. I was planning to hold out for the new tour but checking out my options.

thanks in advance
    12-09-09 09:35 AM
    This is a subjective question because Storms 1, 2 and the Droid are great phones. If messaging is the most important aspect of the phone then I would stay with blackberry. I think the messaging and surepress is great. However, I went to Droid because of the web browsing and customization of the phone. Which one is better is subject to opinion. Either way you can't go wrong. I thought I would really miss my blackberry. However, the Droid has won me over it is a great phone and does well what its strengths are.
    12-09-09 10:48 AM
    I think the droid is a much better phone then the storm at least, I don't think I will ever buy another BB. Seeing that almost all blackberries are the same, they just have different exterior looks, shapes, sizes, etc, but the same OS recycled over and over and always looks the same for the most part on every blackberry. I would only buy a blackberry when they change the OS design and look and improve.
    12-09-09 11:21 AM
    I was holding out for the Storm 2 after a year of **** with Storm1. Then I discovered Android. I LOVE my Droid and have right out of the box. As far as email goes, only GMail is push. You can receive other Emails, but you have to set it up and its more of a pull than a push. Having said that, I get all my sbc emails, which i believe is part of Yahoo. You do have to go online to manage the account (Removing deleted emails etc.) but its not been a deal killer for me in any regards. If youre strictly a business user, Id probably stick with BlackBerry. But if like me you want a kick as phone to play with AND workable email functionality, not to mention a completely exciting and promising OS, Id give the Droid a shot. Besides. You have the 30 day trial with VZW. If it doesnt work for you return it.
    12-09-09 11:35 AM
    I have been reading but not seeing the questions I have, so I'm hoping it ok to ask here

I have my BB and I use it mostly for my yahoo email, I love that its sent right to my phone. Also of course for the phone its self and the internet. I live in an area where they are no close towers so my reception is low but my BB curve works decent.

So my questions are:
    How is the reception on the Droid in low tower areas? I am far in the country.

Does your email come to the phone like the BB or do you have to actually go on the internet to sign in to your email?

What type of internet plan do you need to hold for the Droid?

Is the Droid a better phone than a BB?

I think thats it. I was planning to hold out for the new tour but checking out my options.

thanks in advance
    Can't say for poor service areas but you setup your email just like on the blackberry and it fetches it. Gmail accounts are instantly on your phone and other email addresses can show up every 5 min or so not a big deal unless you really need push for 2 second replies.

The internet plan is the same as the blackberry I believe .... rep told me my plan would does not change with it from blackberry.

Unless you really need push email, I would say yes the Droid is better. You may miss messenger but the pro's will make you happier than that con. Keyboard might take a couple days to get use to but its really not that bad ... the phone was even rated as 2009's top device by Time Magazine .... above the iPhone 3GS so it really is a great device.
    12-09-09 12:54 PM
    I think you can get an internet plan from Verizon for 30 a month not including discounts. You have to pay and upgrade your yahoo account if you want it sent to your phone. Blackberry you obviously don't because blackberry and yahoo had some kind of agreement. gmail is free on android devices though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 05:15 PM
    I think you can get an internet plan from Verizon for 30 a month not including discounts. You have to pay and upgrade your yahoo account if you want it sent to your phone. Blackberry you obviously don't because blackberry and yahoo had some kind of agreement. gmail is free on android devices though.

Or you could set up yahoo like this:
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...l-account.html

I remember this from my Treo days, yuck.
    12-09-09 09:56 PM
    Can't say for poor service areas but you setup your email just like on the blackberry and it fetches it. Gmail accounts are instantly on your phone and other email addresses can show up every 5 min or so not a big deal unless you really need push for 2 second replies.

The internet plan is the same as the blackberry I believe .... rep told me my plan would does not change with it from blackberry.

Unless you really need push email, I would say yes the Droid is better. You may miss messenger but the pro's will make you happier than that con. Keyboard might take a couple days to get use to but its really not that bad ... the phone was even rated as 2009's top device by Time Magazine .... above the iPhone 3GS so it really is a great device.
    Blackberry email is not instant push on BIS. It pushes once every 5 minutes I think it is. It was definitely delayed on my old BB.
    12-10-09 07:18 PM
    thinking of going back to a bb, or possibly the droid... just not sure yet. Still need to try the droid out, but do like the bb curve I had for awhile.
    12-10-09 07:24 PM
    Coming from the STORM 2 yes get a deoud! I have the eris and love it and will never go back . There is no more daily battery pulls or wiping your device any more. You will be amazed at the difference.

12-11-09 07:14 AM
    Blackberry email is not instant push on BIS. It pushes once every 5 minutes I think it is. It was definitely delayed on my old BB.
    No, it is instant push. At least my gmail was on my old Tour/Curve/Pearl. My dad's comcast mail worked too.
    12-11-09 07:19 AM
    Keep it simple...DROOOOOOIIIIIID...
    BIS is pull then push.
    BES is push.
    Gmail is push
    Other email on DROID is pull then push.
    (I read any way. I don't work for RIM, if I did, there would be some ch ch ch changes...time to face the strange, ch cha changes!)
    12-11-09 10:27 AM
    If you live in a crummy reception area look at Tmobile because they have UMA which uses your WiFi as both a data and a voice connection so your carrier's signal doesn't matter if you have WiFi. Nobody else has UMA. I stayed at this lodge in Utah recently that had WiFi but no cell service and I was good.
    12-11-09 11:40 AM
    No, it is instant push. At least my gmail was on my old Tour/Curve/Pearl. My dad's comcast mail worked too.
    BB mail is only push on BES, it's fact, otherwise their servers poll your email every 5 mins or so and then push it to your phone.
    12-12-09 07:36 PM
    I see that one of your main conditions is using getting your yahoo mail. Yahoo is giving some Droid users problems in getting their yahoo mail. Sometimes the setup would work flawlessly and then suddenly it will stop. You can get around this by setting up your yahoo mail to forward to the gmail account you're going to be setting up with the Droid. If replying from a different address will not matter to your recipients then this method would work very well.

Yahoo forwards your mail to Gmail upon receipt, then Gmail pushes.
    12-13-09 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD