Does anyone think AT&T will unlock the UMA calling capability one day on the 9700?
    12-08-09 09:33 PM
    I doubt it I dont think at&t's network supports uma in there infrastructure so your asking them to build it its not a matter of unlocking the feature
    12-08-09 09:35 PM
    Lol, no...
    12-08-09 09:35 PM
    I'm going to answer my own question .. I think with more phones having the UMA capability, and with T-Mobile already offering it, it's only a matter of time before Verizon and/or AT&T follow suit.

I don't even care if they charge my minutes for them, I just want the better call quality that wifi has...
    12-08-09 09:37 PM
    I'm going to answer my own question .. I think with more phones having the UMA capability, and with T-Mobile already offering it, it's only a matter of time before Verizon and/or AT&T follow suit.

I don't even care if they charge my minutes for them, I just want the better call quality that wifi has...
    Them charging you for it might be the only way they'd offer it.
    12-08-09 09:48 PM
    Them charging you for it might be the only way they'd offer it.
    It doesn't cost them anything if they deduct from your minutes. If anything, it would reduce the stress on their network if more people use the wifi at their own home instead of their 3G network..

Or am I thinking about this wrong?
    12-08-09 10:04 PM
    You're thinking about it wrong. It requires AT&T to spend money on some more infrastructure since they don't currently have the hardware to support UMA.
    12-08-09 10:39 PM
    AT&T/Verizon cover the miles T-Mobile does not. T-Mobile uses UMA to expand their coverage.
    12-08-09 10:42 PM

Both AT&T and Verizon have local phone services to protect, T-Mobile dosen't.
    12-08-09 10:42 PM
    Given AT&T's push into femtocells, their venturing into UMA is extremely unlikely.
    12-08-09 10:43 PM
    Yeah sorry but all the 9700's don't have that chipset and its not a matter of unlocking. Maybe sometime in the future.
    12-09-09 09:40 PM
    Yeah sorry but all the 9700's don't have that chipset and its not a matter of unlocking. Maybe sometime in the future.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/tm...l#post4255960/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/tm...l#post4256293/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/tm...l#post4256320/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/tm...l#post4257912/
    Last edited by AgTitan06; 12-09-09 at 10:07 PM.
    12-09-09 10:03 PM
    You can in fact enable UMA on an AT&T 9700, but as AT&T does not support UMA calling you would not be able to call using it.

UMA is both software and hardware based and AT&T does not have the infrastructure to support the feature at this time. I highly doubt it will be any time soon either as AT&T already has a hard enough time supporting their network as it is.
    12-09-09 10:14 PM
    You can in fact enable UMA on an AT&T 9700, but as AT&T does not support UMA calling you would not be able to call using it.

UMA is both software and hardware based and AT&T does not have the infrastructure to support the feature at this time. I highly doubt it will be any time soon either as AT&T already has a hard enough time supporting their network as it is.
    Thanks, I figured the hardware was on the phone, with the problem being at&t does not support it on their end..i still stand by my opinion of at&t will one day offer it.
    12-09-09 10:42 PM
    .i still stand by my opinion of at&t will one day offer it.
    UMA requires signalling protocols that are only supported on a few switches, which is why few carriers worldwide offer UMA. Don't wait for it - if a carrier doesn't have a UMA capable switch brand to begin with, it's not gonna happen.
    12-09-09 11:27 PM
    Both AT&T and Verizon have local phone services to protect, T-Mobile dosen't.
    Ding, ding, ding, ding.

You win the award for insight, common sense and calling it exactly right.

AT&T and Verizon would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into offering UMA. Don't count on it any time soon.
    12-09-09 11:56 PM
    AT&T already has a hard enough time supporting their network as it is.
    AT&T was just ranked the worst carrier in the nation for 2009 by Consumer Reports.
    12-09-09 11:58 PM
    Ding, ding, ding, ding.

AT&T and Verizon would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into offering UMA. Don't count on it any time soon.
    Heh, thanks.

AT&T's femtocell offering is a bad effort at trying to appease customers that get poor reception in thier homes with AT&T service.

For AT&T and Verizon, they will do anything possible to protect thier land line services for as long as possible. Although they are losing customers quickly, land line service is a CASH COW for them.

Neither of these companies sees T-Mobile as a threat yet, and only considers each other thier main competetor. UMA/GAN isn't even compatible with CDMA networks, so Verizon is out of the picture, and with that said AT&T really has no compelling reason to offer it until it loses so many landline subscribers to make UMA attractive or people start flocking to T-Mobile. On top of all this, I don't think the average wireless user cares or knows about UMA.

UMA is however, by far the superior solution. WiFi networks are nearly ubiquitous these days, and even compatible for the most part internationally. Even if they were giving away the femtocell recievers, which I don't think they are, you only get 1. I can highlight 2 of many instances that UMA service has saved my skin. The first time was visiting a buddy of mine that lived in a heavily wooded area. Yup, no service with anyone but he did have home WiFi. Second, I recently took a trip to Mexico. Although I was relegated to the hotel lobby for WiFi, I wasn't the least bit worried about international phone or data charges. In both of these circumstances, AT&T's solution wouldn't have worked.

I think AT&T will eventually come around, but I definitely agree that it will take a long time for it to happen. As far as the infrastructure goes, when a company as large as AT&T approaches it's equipment vendor and tells them they want a feature, it happens.

I'm just one of those users that is really glad to see T-Mobile offering UMA.
    Last edited by se1000; 12-10-09 at 01:33 AM.
    12-10-09 01:28 AM
    Ding, ding, ding, ding.

This ... this right here ... is a win.
    12-10-09 01:35 AM
    It'd be nice if i can get this to work, had an extra 9700 laying around and letting my GF use it. She is on TMO, only if UMA could be installed.

I actually seen a few people enable through the engineer screen and install the TMO certs to do it.

12-10-09 02:58 AM
    It'd be nice if i can get this to work, had an extra 9700 laying around and letting my GF use it. She is on TMO, only if UMA could be installed.

I actually seen a few people enable through the engineer screen and install the TMO certs to do it.

it should work, have you tried the process to get the t-mobile certs on it?
    12-10-09 03:02 AM
    UMA requires signalling protocols that are only supported on a few switches, which is why few carriers worldwide offer UMA. Don't wait for it - if a carrier doesn't have a UMA capable switch brand to begin with, it's not gonna happen.
    i'm not waiting for it...i already have my 9700 on at&t and love it...just figured it would be a nice feature to have, but not completely necessary.
    12-10-09 01:29 PM
    AT&T was just ranked the worst carrier in the nation for 2009 by Consumer Reports.
    Just like I said. LOL. I have always known AT&T's network was horrible.

Like my new AT&T logo?! LMAO
    12-10-09 01:40 PM
    it should work, have you tried the process to get the t-mobile certs on it?
    Can you point me to the certs and how to get it installed?
    12-12-09 09:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD