Which would you recommend? I'm aiming towards Applecare just becase I had it on my Mac a few years back and had a problem and repairs were free through a Apple Repair. Now that there is an Apple store about 15 mins from me I like the fact I don't have to send it out.

On the downside I'm worried about the Accidental stuff with Cracked Screens, Drops or water damage. I've read various post that sometimes you get lucky at the apple store with that stuff and they replace it under Applecare.

Thanks
    12-07-09 03:10 PM
    Which would you recommend? I'm aiming towards Applecare just becase I had it on my Mac a few years back and had a problem and repairs were free through a Apple Repair. Now that there is an Apple store about 15 mins from me I like the fact I don't have to send it out.

On the downside I'm worried about the Accidental stuff with Cracked Screens, Drops or water damage. I've read various post that sometimes you get lucky at the apple store with that stuff and they replace it under Applecare.

Thanks
    If you're going to keep the phone for 1.5 years, I would suggest getting Applecare and a good case like the otter defender. Not only can the Iphone screen crack, but lower drops can cause it to white-screen-of-death. A friend at work is on his 3rd 3g in under a year, and the third has hardware issues already.

I'd go the safe route, unless you plan on selling it in the summer of '10, and will be careful until then.
    12-07-09 04:47 PM
    How much more Bulk/weight does the otter defender add?
    12-07-09 05:29 PM
    Id say skip both personally and just treat it like you would a new car. The new iphone model is only 6-7 months out, I cant see buying insurance or extra AppleCare at this point for a 3GS.

You also have until the end of the 1 year to decide to buy the next year so I wouldnt jump to any decisions until youre sure you wont upgrade to whatever comes out this coming summer, then you spent nearly $100 for nothing that could be put to the new model.

Ive heard Apple is pretty good about replacing them though, its hard to prove a crack in the casing or screen was the customer's fault, and since Apple makes their own hardware and software, they usually want the customer to be satisfied and keep a high satisfaction rating.

Personally ive never had a need to take mine in, i keep my phones mint, but i have had to replace a frayed usb cable and they overnighted it free with overnight return all for free. So it was a good experience with their CS.

But I think an otterbox is a little bulky and extreme for normal dya to day use. Get a good thick gel/silicone skin and its should be good shock protection. I use an iskin and its decently thick and cushy.
    12-07-09 11:07 PM
    Has anyone had actual experience with squaretrade when something has broken? I'm leaning toward that because of their accidental coverage but had insurance stuff with past sprint phones and always had problems with sprint actually wanting to repair stuff so that makes me hesitant about purchasing these insurances.
    12-12-09 06:30 PM
    i thought sprint was always pretty good about insurance claims - better than verizon at least
    12-13-09 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD