Apparently the Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0.1. has the ability to automatically detect and set up your Blackberry to use as an external modem "tethering". I found this out while looking for the BB modem drivers on the Blackberry website while attempting to set up a manual modem connection on my Asus EEE HD1000 netbook.

I downloaded and installed the latest version of the Blackberry Desktop Software under Windows Xp Home on the netbook and then first started the Blackberry Device Manager and then the Blackberry Desktop Manager software with the Blackberry Bold 9700 hooked up to the USB port. Under the Blackberry Desktop Manager software on the home screen there is the IP Modem option and I selected that option.

Under the IP Modem there are two option - Connection Settings and Connect to the Internet.

First run the Configure... option.

Window pops up with carrier options - I have T-Mobile so I just clicked on OK. Next I clicked on the Connect option under the Connect to the Internet option.

Window pops up and relays information on the connection status while establishing a connection and when done you should see that the device is connected with sent/recieved/total transmission of data values and a timer.

Pop open a browser of your choice and you're on the web, simple as that.

My experience is that surfing on the internet (myspace, facebook, digg, wired, engadget, etc) is pretty quick under the T-Mobile 3G network - I was really surprised at just how reliable and usable this "wired" wireless connection is. Web pages pretty much loaded up quickly and were responsive.

Streaming music was also pretty decent, listened to tunes through Pandora and under Winamp.

IM like skype worked very well.

Playing back video streams under Hulu and Youtube were very choppy, but they played.

This is the first time I have ever been able to get one of my Blackberry's successfully tethered to my laptop/netbook and props to Blackberry for getting this integrated into their software for 2 click initial setup and access. I have seen other very expensive software available out there that does the same thing but this is free and it works.

I highly recommend that you have an unlimited data plan if you attempt to use your device as a modem for your netbook/notebook/laptop computer.

I have not been able to replicate this on my desktop under Windows 7 though - but I have been able to get my Windows Xp Professional Notebook computer and Windows XP Home netbook to work.

Make sure that you disable any active network device that you have running prior to running your Blackberry device as a modem to ensure that Windows does not default to the Wireless/Wired Network card you usually use. THe first time I tried it my Blackberry was connected as a modem but the wireless network card in my netbook was also active and connected to my home DSL and I was amazed at the download and surfing speeds of my connection before I realized that I was still on the Qwest DSL. Disabled the network card, rebooted, and fired up the Blackberry software again and made sure that the network connection icon in the Windows task tray showed that I was connected to the T-Mobile US network (3G via the Blackberry 9700 Bold)
    12-07-09 01:56 AM
    I am running Windows 7 and was able to tether with DM manager as you describe. Something else must be causing it not to work for you on Windows 7.
    12-07-09 07:51 AM
    I have two Windows 7 computers, one 32-bit and one with Windows 7 64-bit. I have been able to get the 32-bit one working great with the drivers and everything is a breeze. I have not, however, been able to get the 64-bit system running as the modem driver throws "NOT SUPPORTED" to a bunch of the AT commanys when clicking "Query Modem" in the properties. I think RIM needs new 64-bit dirvers.
    12-07-09 08:14 AM
    Did you try using the BB DM software with Windows 7? The newest version has an option that let's you use your BB as a wired modem right through it, no extra setup needed.

I used both a beta version of Win7 and now I have the official version. It has worked for me on both.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-09 08:29 AM
    I have 64-bit Win7 and have spent over three hours on the phone with RIM and T-Mobile with NO LUCK!!! I've uninstalled/reinstalled 5.0.1 four times with the associated reboots. My problem continues, the 'Standard Modem' is recognized and has successful queries in the Device Manager but the BBDM Connecitons Settings will not allow me to save the current configuration and without a current configurations saved, it will not allow a connection. Using Network and Sharing to set up a dial-up connection fails to find any modems available and hence, will not allow a successful creation of a Dial-up networking connection. Help?
    Last edited by sumrhome; 12-11-09 at 01:06 PM. Reason: additional information
    12-11-09 01:06 PM
    PS: I used a pearl 8100 for two years as a tethered modem with no problems, is this a new change on T-Mobile's part because they refused to provide any assistance.
    12-11-09 01:07 PM
    One quick question. I'm sure that it's been answered but this might benefit those one this thread: Does T-Mobile charge extra for this or if you have unlimited data is it covered? It doesnt say anything on their website and there isn't any extra service for this? Thanks guys
    12-11-09 01:31 PM
    Completely off topic but I just got my bill and I only used 330~MB when I streamed at least 1GB watching video's on Hulu. That's amazing!
    12-11-09 01:37 PM
    I have two Windows 7 computers, one 32-bit and one with Windows 7 64-bit. I have been able to get the 32-bit one working great with the drivers and everything is a breeze. I have not, however, been able to get the 64-bit system running as the modem driver throws "NOT SUPPORTED" to a bunch of the AT commanys when clicking "Query Modem" in the properties. I think RIM needs new 64-bit dirvers.
    Win 7 x64 here worked fine using IP Modem in BB DM. downloaded checked email all the fun stuff thru the phone while the lan was DC'd
    12-11-09 01:40 PM
    is tethering free on t-mobile?
    12-11-09 01:41 PM

Works fine on my 64bit Win7 lappy..
    I generally use the AT&T connection manager for tethering though.. a couple mouse clicks fewer to get on the air Not sure if other carriers have anything similar.
    12-11-09 01:42 PM
    Call me stupid, but where do I find the option "IP Modem" in the DM software?

@whoppo I have tried the AT&T Connections manager and could not get it to work. Do you have the tethering plan?
    01-09-10 09:03 PM
    One quick question. I'm sure that it's been answered but this might benefit those one this thread: Does T-Mobile charge extra for this or if you have unlimited data is it covered? It doesnt say anything on their website and there isn't any extra service for this? Thanks guys
    No, it's included if you have a data plan.

is tethering free on t-mobile?
    Yes, it's free.

Call me stupid, but where do I find the option "IP Modem" in the DM software?
    Do you have v5.0.1? If so, it's under "Backup and Restore".
    01-09-10 09:18 PM
    Where?

Please see attachment.
    01-10-10 05:31 AM
    No, it's included if you have a data plan.

Yes, it's free.

Do you have v5.0.1? If so, it's under "Backup and Restore".
    I have 5.0.1 & it isn't under "Backup and Restore." It is located on the main page with its own section.

01-10-10 06:55 AM
    Can you post a screen shot of it? I reinstalled and still no option for IP modem.

01-10-10 07:01 AM
    Where?

Please see attachment.
    No, underneath the Backup and Restore icon. It is the bottom left icon, it says IP Modem.
    01-10-10 09:57 AM
    Dang it..I just installed DM on my Win7 machine, and the IP Modem option is not there! It is there on my WinXP machine though. Argh.
    01-10-10 10:30 AM
    I have 5.0.1 & it isn't under "Backup and Restore." It is located on the main page with its own section.
    My apologies for the misunderstanding. I meant to say it's underneath the "Backup and Restore" icon.

01-10-10 10:44 AM
    I use TetherBerry (now called Tether). It's a great app and was recently (may still be) on sale for 50% off. The best part is that it JUST WORKS.
    01-10-10 10:50 AM
    My apologies for the misunderstanding. I meant to say it's underneath the "Backup and Restore" icon.

I simply do not have that option on 5.0.1 with Win 7. I have installed several times.
    01-10-10 02:32 PM
    I simply do not have that option on 5.0.1 with Win 7. I have installed several times.
    01-10-10 02:37 PM
    Where are you getting your version of DM? I have downloaded several times from blackberry.com and do not have it.
    01-10-10 02:39 PM
    Where are you getting your version of DM? I have downloaded several times from blackberry.com and do not have it.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

Select "Blackberry Desktop Software Service Pack 1 (5.0.1)"
    01-10-10 03:11 PM
    Tha'ts exactly what I have downloaded and installed. Do I need to download the modem and driver software?
    01-10-10 03:13 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD