Im curious and a nooblet to having an unlocked storm
    12-06-09 06:28 PM
    No

10char
    12-06-09 06:46 PM
    No, because the radio file is different, although the COD files will be compatible. You will just have to wait like the rest of us.
    12-06-09 06:49 PM
    No, they're still two different devices.
    12-06-09 06:50 PM
    thank you guys for your answers and not verbally slamming my idiotic question lol
    12-06-09 07:08 PM
    thank you guys for your answers and not verbally slamming my idiotic question lol
    lol would you prefer physical? jk :P
    12-06-09 07:12 PM
    lol would you prefer physical? jk :P
    lol you would not hit a guy with glasses on would ya? B)
    12-06-09 07:14 PM
    No, they're still two different devices.
    Just to clear the air, they are not two different devices. In fact they are entirely identical hardware-wise.

The only difference is the hardware ID of the devices, which is set in the lowest level firmware which you can't change without special software (read: a newer version of MFI Multi Loader than is available... i.e. it hasn't leaked yet, no 2.0.1.3 isn't new enough). That software would allow you to change the carrier's logo that comes up on boot, i.e. Verizon, Vodafone, Telus, etc. Basically you could switch the device from 9500 to 9530 and back as many times as you wanted.

Personally, I would switch mine to 9500 with carrier ID of 1 (RIM engineering sample, opens up all the hidden/locked-by-carrier functions on the phone) and call it a day. I'm sure anyone else using a 9530 on a GSM carrier would do the same!
    12-07-09 02:11 PM
    Just to clear the air, they are not two different devices. In fact they are entirely identical hardware-wise.

The only difference is the hardware ID of the devices, which is set in the lowest level firmware which you can't change without special software (read: a newer version of MFI Multi Loader than is available... i.e. it hasn't leaked yet, no 2.0.1.3 isn't new enough). That software would allow you to change the carrier's logo that comes up on boot, i.e. Verizon, Vodafone, Telus, etc. Basically you could switch the device from 9500 to 9530 and back as many times as you wanted.

Personally, I would switch mine to 9500 with carrier ID of 1 (RIM engineering sample, opens up all the hidden/locked-by-carrier functions on the phone) and call it a day. I'm sure anyone else using a 9530 on a GSM carrier would do the same!
    I would love to do this lol if you ever find out if its possible hit me up
    12-07-09 10:04 PM

Ding! We have a w1nn@r!

If possible I'd upload my own carrier boot logo. Imagine how cool that would be. It would make battery pulls more popular. It would be like a PSP with custom gameboot. People look at you like... WTF is that!?
    12-07-09 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD