Hi, I have a Blackberry Tour 9630 (VZW) and I want to sync my phone's contacts with my Gmail contacts. Mainly, the way I have it right now is that almost all my contacts on my phone only have phone numbers (no emails) attached to them, and almost all my contacts on Gmail have only email addresses (no phone numbers) attached to them. Nearly all contacts' names on both the phone and Gmail are formatted identically.

I want my contacts on both Gmail and my phone to have both the phone number and email address listed.

I have downloaded and run the Google Sync app hoping it would "combine" contacts to have both the email addresses and phone numbers listed, but it hasn't done that. I'm not entirely sure what it actually has done at all, but in any case, how can do what I'm looking for?

Thanks a lot in advance, I searched the forum for this but most of the results were about syncing the calendar.
    12-05-09 09:07 PM
    I don't really like using google sync for contacts for this reason. Or I always end up getting ridiculous duplicates.

The only thing that I can think of is let it do it's sync, and I'm sure you'll have duplicate entries in your google contacts (one with an email and one with a number). In google contacts, you can click on those duplicates and select "merge." And then try re-syncing. I'd probably delete the contacts off the phone before re-syncing so as to avoid more mishaps.

That'd be the solution I try to do, but I'm sure more experienced users here will have better ideas.
    12-05-09 11:21 PM
    I don't really like using google sync for contacts for this reason. Or I always end up getting ridiculous duplicates.

The only thing that I can think of is let it do it's sync, and I'm sure you'll have duplicate entries in your google contacts (one with an email and one with a number). In google contacts, you can click on those duplicates and select "merge." And then try re-syncing. I'd probably delete the contacts off the phone before re-syncing so as to avoid more mishaps.

That'd be the solution I try to do, but I'm sure more experienced users here will have better ideas.
    Agreed. I think this would be the easiest way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-09 11:44 PM
    I agree with the posts above. Using the 'merge' feature on Google Sync is your best bet. I don't think there is any way to achieve what you were actually hoping to accomplish. To help cut down on those duplicated entries, I've found that it helps to have all your contact entries featuring both first and last names. For example, rather than having 'Ben' on your phone as a contact, you should have 'Ben King.' Including the last name seemed to cut down on the incredibly annoying repetitious entries. Alternatively, there's a very useful application called 'Skydeck' which does the same thing that Google Sync does for contacts. I have both.
    12-05-09 11:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD