Hi,

Does anyone know where I could find out how many apps there are available for different BlackBerrys? I'm curious to compare it to other smartphone platforms.

Also, can anyone recommend any good sites for BlackBerry apps (apart, of course, from CrackBerry)? Because I'm in Australia I don't have access to BlackBerry App World.

Thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by paul7876; 12-05-09 at 03:57 AM.
    12-05-09 03:09 AM
    it's difficult to quantify the number of BB apps.. but a google search might help.
    12-05-09 07:41 AM
    I think there are so many apps for Blackberry phone.
    12-05-09 07:43 AM
    there is an app for that .....
    Honestly try google......
    wonder when RIM will have the app world down under?
    12-05-09 07:47 AM
    Hi guys,

I tried Google but it wasn't much help. I was wondering if I'd stumble across one of those statistics posted somewhere but I guess its not so easy if you can get the apps from many different places

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-09 07:50 AM
    Definitely hundreds of applications are available for BlackBerry, but as with any other platform it is hard to find out the number of applications under active development. Therefore you might stumble on software not supported by newer devices due to different firmware or find software that has been beta for a very long time.

Still when you separate the good from the bad and look at the number of what is available, there's really a good handful of excellent software. I personally use Handmark and MobiHand as alternatives to App World (don't have it in my country either).
    12-05-09 08:16 AM
    There are tens of thousands if you include all iterations of each app (for each different phone type the app is different). RIM would be the only ones that have even an approximation past that.
    12-05-09 08:21 AM
    In July there were 2000 RIM Doubles Applications to 2,000, Taking on Apple (Update3) - Bloomberg.com and I suspect thousands more have been added since.
    12-05-09 08:23 AM
    Have a look at App World for a second... you'll notice pretty quick quite a big amount of the "applications" are just Browser launchers and for many applications there is kind of a duplicate (think: commercial and free/lite version). This brings down the number not drastically, but the difference is remarkable anyway.
    12-05-09 08:45 AM
    One of the things that makes it hard to know an exact number is that you can get BB apps just about anywhere. There are multiple online stores (App World, CrackBerry, Handango...) as well as individual companies offering their own BB apps. Google apps are available through Google's website, as an example. There really isn't one respistory for every BB app out there.
    12-05-09 11:07 AM
    Have a look at App World for a second... you'll notice pretty quick quite a big amount of the "applications" are just Browser launchers and for many applications there is kind of a duplicate (think: commercial and free/lite version). This brings down the number not drastically, but the difference is remarkable anyway.
    Depends on how you classify application. If you count all of the random ported apps to the iPhone as applications for them, then you do the same for RIM. Apple has quite the advantage in terms of applications, and they will for a long time, if anyone ever catches up.
    12-05-09 11:15 AM
    I think the Android market will soon give Apple a run for its money

Android Market statistics from AndroLib, Androlib, Android Applications and Games
    12-06-09 02:22 PM
    I just wish that RIM would organize App World by device compatibility. Crackberry can do it, Why not RIM?
    12-06-09 02:27 PM
    I'm going to move this thread to 3rd Party Apps.
    12-06-09 06:51 PM
    According to an NYT article today, there are just shy of 3,000 BlackBerry apps.
    12-06-09 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD