I'm planning on tinkering a bit with the new 5.0 OS, so I had a few backup questions.

One, this may sound really dumb, but how do I save the contacts and then transfer them back when I DL the 5.0 and they all get wiped?

Two, I've tried backing up through desktop manager and saving the file in both My Documents and on the Desktop, but both times the file came out in some .ipd format that doesn't open when I double click on it. Is that normal?

Thanks again for the answers.
    12-04-09 11:39 PM
    The ipd file is the backup file. If you created an ipd, you've made a backup. You restore it by running the Desktop Manager restore function, not by double-clicking it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-09 11:50 PM
    Appreciate it.

And as far as the contacts transferring, how would that work?
    12-04-09 11:51 PM
    When you make the backup, it includes your contacts. Install your new OS, then restore the backup. That will put the contacts back on your phone.

We may be talking past each other. Am I answering the right question?

12-04-09 11:57 PM
    No, no, sorry, I'm just a BB dummy.

I was under the imperssion that if I loaded up my backup with the new OS that it'd bring back the old OS. But I think what you're saying is that it just brings back all the info I backed up, but not the old OS right?
    12-05-09 12:00 AM
    ... But I think what you're saying is that it just brings back all the info I backed up, but not the old OS right?
    Correct. The backup only includes your personal data. It does not include the OS, nor does it include the 3rd party apps. There is a separate procedure for backing up 3rd party apps. You can find it in the How to and FAQ Forum.

12-05-09 12:03 AM
    If you have Outlook on your computer, you can also sync your contacts into Outlook from the BB using Desktop Manager's sync function - just make sure to get the sync in the proper direction.
    12-05-09 05:59 PM
    I just backed up my contacts with the BB Desktop Manager.. It was very easy and took 10 seconds as opposed to putting them all on the sim card one by one.
    12-05-09 06:19 PM
    JeffH, Do those backup rules act the same when changing between different models of BBs? I currently have the 8330 & I am changing to the new Bold 9650. If I do a standard backup of my 8330 to an ipd file, can I restore that to my new 9650 with out doing any harm? Or should I do an advanced backup & only backup my personal data (ie. Address Book, Calender, Notes , Memos, Tasks, Email, SMS, MMS, Pic IDs, etc.) ...Thanks in advance! This is only me 2nd BB so this is the 1st time I had to do a transfer like this.
    06-01-10 06:23 PM
    A standard backup will work fine. The personal information databases are compatible across all BlackBerry devices.

06-01-10 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD