Since I'm still very new to Blackberry, I'm wondering if there are any typing shortcuts specific to the Storm / Storm 2 that could help me speed up a bit. The only trick i've found so far is hitting the space bar twice to inset a period. If there were something similar to insert a comma and an apostrophe, that would help considerably. Any advice?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 12:50 AM
    -if you hold down a letter it will capitalize it.
    -if you keep your finger on top of the letter (don't press it) and other characters willl pop
    -hold down shift or number and it will lock the keyboard to capitals or numbers
    -on some apps where you have to input your email... instead of typing "@" just hit space.
    -on some apps... when there is a search button (i.e. google) after typing just hit enter intead of trying to click on the search button... same thing works for log ins

thats all i can think of right now... i'm sure there is more
    12-02-09 01:16 AM
    Nice! Thanks, Audizine. Those will be helpful, especially holding down a letter to capitalize. I'm still hoping someone has a shortcut for commas and apostrophes, though.

12-02-09 01:56 AM
    If your typing in words like "I'm, that's" all you have to type is im or thats, the bb will put in the ' for you.

But otherwise, I'm only a week new, so I've (another one) still got lots to learn.
    12-02-09 02:39 AM
    You can also go into your autotext settings and add things. For example, most of the time when I type its, i really mean it's. So I said to change its to it's. If there is ever a time when I mean to type its, I just have to hit backspace once and it changes back.
    12-02-09 05:15 AM
    Yeah, I've thought about changing the autotext settings. The one that keeps tripping me up is I'll vs. ill, since ill is a legitimate word.

12-02-09 08:32 AM
    Yeah, I've thought about changing the autotext settings. The one that keeps tripping me up is I'll vs. ill, since ill is a legitimate word.
    I have an autotext entry for I'll set as il. Works perfectly!
    12-02-09 09:26 AM
    Thanks, fnord, I'll try that, too.

12-02-09 09:34 AM
    I did ill as I'll because I just don't type ill very often. I'm lazy and I'll write sick.
    12-02-09 09:36 AM
    I have an autotext entry for I'll set as il. Works perfectly!

That is actually a default on the BB. If you want to type I'll.....just type il.
    12-02-09 09:51 AM
    Some good shortcuts here.

Cheers

12-02-09 09:54 AM
    Great shortcuts, thanks.

Does anyone know why typing shortcuts like these don't work in SMS and is there a way of enabling them?
    12-02-09 11:32 AM
    12-02-09 11:54 AM
    Thanks for the link to that article. I ended up using that backspace method to set up an autotext entry for a comma (lc) and an apostrophe-s (ls). Does exactly what I wanted.

12-02-09 01:31 PM
    Thanks for the link to that article. I ended up using that backspace method to set up an autotext entry for a comma (lc) and an apostrophe-s (ls). Does exactly what I wanted.
    No prob.
    The "%b" feature is genius when it comes to autotext possibilities
    12-02-09 04:11 PM
    Maybe I'm a complete moron, but I don't understand what %b means. Can somebody dumb it down for me even more?

12-02-09 04:18 PM
    %b is a backspace...

So, say you have 's' set to change to "%b's", you type "Joel s" and the system will remove the space between 'Joel' and 's' and add the apostrophe.
    12-02-09 04:32 PM
    %b is a backspace...

So, say you have 's' set to change to "%b's", you type "Joel s" and the system will remove the space between 'Joel' and 's' and add the apostrophe.
    Got ya. Thanks for explaining it for me

12-02-09 04:54 PM
    Thanks for the link, WebSquad. I went through both of the tutorials. They were basic, but good information.
    12-03-09 01:06 AM
    %b is a backspace...

loving this !!!
    12-03-09 01:55 AM
    The best advice I got from him is to set the left convenience key to the Task Switcher,
    Why would you use your left convenience key as the Task Switcher with holding the BB button does the same thing? Seems like a bit of a waste, but to each their own
    12-03-09 09:40 AM
    my fav is double press space bar for a period "."
    12-03-09 12:56 PM
    There are some great tips here!

I've made extensive use of the text replacement shortcuts since my 7130. In addition to the stock shortcuts, there are a few I use all the time.

itts=it's (it took me a long time to come up with a way to do "it's" that made sense to me)

j=Jack

b=Best regards,

Jack

t=Thanks,

Jack

The last two are what I use to sign email messages quickly - they embed two ENTERs to get the space between the closing and my name. Being able to embed ENTERs in the translated text creates all kinds of possibilities for even more elaborate email signatures if you don't want to set things up to put signatures on every single message.
    12-03-09 07:56 PM
    Is there a code for Enter like the %b for backspace? For that matter, I wonder where I can find a list of all the possible codes, since I saw a few random ones scrolling through the Auto Text list on my S2.
    12-04-09 12:23 AM
    itts=it's (it took me a long time to come up with a way to do "it's" that made sense to me)
    i thought if you typed "its"... it corrects to "it's"
    12-04-09 12:40 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD